RC Racer

Battery Connector Question

I know this is like talking about religion, but I have questions about my faith.

I'm getting ready to swap my connectors to something more common and cost effective. I was thinking XT60, but I started doing some math.

According to the VXL-3s ESC Instructions, it has a continuous current of up to 200A. I can't get a straight answer on the Traxxass connector current rating, but I've seen references to 100A. Assuming that is true, it would imply that I'm misinterpreting the 200A CC and an amperage requirement.

As well the XT60/IC3 is out, because they only handle ~60A. Even the EC5 only handles 120A. So it would seem that the connector current ratings don't match up no matter what I do.

Now that I've over thought this an bungled it up with math, I have some questions
    1. What is the required amperage of the connector for the VXL-3s?
    2. What connector do you run?

Sustained current is different than peak current. I run XT90's on my 3S, 4S and 6S trucks without issues. They do have XT150's as well, but odds are, you'd be fine with XT60 or XT90 for a 3S system. I just with XT90's because of my 6S trucks and I didn't want to have different connectors on stuff.

I used to use the older TRX connectors on everything, but they were annoying to solder and had a tendency to pop apart on me.

XT90's will pop apart on occasion on trucks where I can't strap the cables down, like my ERBEv2. So I ended up making little clip locks that hold them together. They are a lot easier to solder as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

On my R4sty (think, shorter Sl4sh), I swapped out the Traxxas electronics, replacing them with a HW XR8 Plus & XERUN 3652 4300kV motor. With this, I ran using XT60...and, I never had any problems. How this helps.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Sustained current is different than peak current.
    Right the VXL3S instructions says:
    Continuous current....................................200A
    Peak current........................................... . 320A

It could be a marketing "200A". The 200A seems a bit high to me based on other ESC specs. Also the ratio CC to peak ratio seems to be about 15-20% of the peak current for others. So I'm going to call it BS and assume (yah I know what they say) it's 60A CC.

It sounds like the bottom line is I should be fine with an XT60/90 or EC3/5.

It reminds me of the amplifiers you get at the flea market. They might be 1000W peak, which means nothing.

If the vlx3s was capable of 200A sustained... that would be quite a unit.

Like cheap car audio stuff... 500W peak, 25W RMS. lol!
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

I have been using Traxxas connectors since before I had a Traxxas vehicle. Since it has been about fifteen years, why change now.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I have been using Traxxas connectors since before I had a Traxxas vehicle. Since it has been about fifteen years, why change now.
    Same here. They work fine.
    They handle enough amps on 3S with the VXL-3S, whatever the # is...

I also run the original Traxxas connectors(not the Id stuff) using 2s,3s,4s and 1/8th scale power....never had an issue.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Same here. I prefer the Traxxas connectors.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

XT90 baby! Gotta have the big power hungry connectors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm just a noob

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    XT90 baby! Gotta have the big power hungry connectors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QS8 connectors have entered chat

RC Competitor
    Having 3 different connectors on my stuff, just made the decision to choose one and standardize all my gear. I went EC5 due in large part cuz of the simplicity to solder. I just rcvd my shipment of EC5 connectors yesterday, but is XT90 the better choice, I only wanna do this once! I run 2s thru 4s.

Quote Originally Posted by dordelli View Post
    Having 3 different connectors on my stuff, just made the decision to choose one and standardize all my gear. I went EC5 due in large part cuz of the simplicity to solder. I just rcvd my shipment of EC5 connectors yesterday, but is XT90 the better choice, I only wanna do this once! I run 2s thru 4s.
    Sorry, but, there is no "one connector to rule them all". Granted, I don't know what vehicles you have, as you didn't specify, but the connector for each vehicle needs to be appropriate to the vehicle. For example, just as you wouldn't put a large connector on something small, like a 1/10 2WD buggy, you also wouldn't put a low power connector on a power-hog.

There's nothing wrong with using multiple connector types...although, if you can keep the differences to as minimal as possible, all the better. Using my vehicles/vessels as examples, I'm running 7mm bullets on my high-powered (ie. race) boats, no-prep drag car, and Rustler 4x4 (Mamba Monster X ESC & 1/8 2650kV motor). On my crawlers, I'm running a variant of the Deans T-connector, called Star. On my 1/10 buggy & USGT cars, there's 5mm bullets that plug into inboard connectors. And, on the rear of my vehicles & vessels in running XT60.

Using different connectors can also help keep batteries organized better, especially if you have identical-looking packs for different vehicles. For example, I've got several packs that are physically identical (also the same brand), and even the same capacity...but, due to different discharge rates (ie. 'C'), certain packs are for specific vehicles/vessels, thus having the different connectors helps differentiate which packs are for which vehicles/vessels.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Sorry, but, there is no "one connector to rule them all". Granted, I don't know what vehicles you have, as you didn't specify, but the connector for each vehicle needs to be appropriate to the vehicle. For example, just as you wouldn't put a large connector on something small, like a 1/10 2WD buggy, you also wouldn't put a low power connector on a power-hog.

There's nothing wrong with using multiple connector types...although, if you can keep the differences to as minimal as possible, all the better. Using my vehicles/vessels as examples, I'm running 7mm bullets on my high-powered (ie. race) boats, no-prep drag car, and Rustler 4x4 (Mamba Monster X ESC & 1/8 2650kV motor). On my crawlers, I'm running a variant of the Deans T-connector, called Star. On my 1/10 buggy & USGT cars, there's 5mm bullets that plug into inboard connectors. And, on the rear of my vehicles & vessels in running XT60.

Using different connectors can also help keep batteries organized better, especially if you have identical-looking packs for different vehicles. For example, I've got several packs that are physically identical (also the same brand), and even the same capacity...but, due to different discharge rates (ie. 'C'), certain packs are for specific vehicles/vessels, thus having the different connectors helps differentiate which packs are for which vehicles/vessels.

I realize there isnít a one size fits all, I have all 1/8 & 1/10 surface vehicles. I have 2 slashes (a 2wd and a 4wd), both have upgraded motors and Deans plugs. A Maxx with stock traxxas plug. And two Arrmaís (Senton and Kraton) both with IC5/EC5. At first I wanted to convert all to Deans as most of my batteries are Deans and would be the simplest path. But those are a super pain to solder (at least for me) especially on the heavier gauge ESC wires.

I ran using adapters to Deans plugs on the Maxx and Senton for awhile but they disconnect a lot during bashing.

So EC5 seemed to be my second easiest path to standardizing but if XT90 is the better choice am open to returning the EC5ís and going that route.

Quote Originally Posted by dordelli View Post
    I realize there isnít a one size fits all, I have all 1/8 & 1/10 surface vehicles. I have 2 slashes (a 2wd and a 4wd), both have upgraded motors and Deans plugs. A Maxx with stock traxxas plug. And two Arrmaís (Senton and Kraton) both with IC5/EC5. At first I wanted to convert all to Deans as most of my batteries are Deans and would be the simplest path. But those are a super pain to solder (at least for me) especially on the heavier gauge ESC wires.

I ran using adapters to Deans plugs on the Maxx and Senton for awhile but they disconnect a lot during bashing.

So EC5 seemed to be my second easiest path to standardizing but if XT90 is the better choice am open to returning the EC5ís and going that route.
    Based on your vehicles, Deans is about the worst thing you could be using. I'm surprised something hasn't fried by now. Deans is great for low-power/low-Amp-draw, but not for larger/heavier vehicles like the Slash...and, definitely not for ANY 1/8 vehicles. That's why I said the connectors should be appropriate to the vehicles. I'm not going to tell you not to use them...but, plenty others might. Personally, I'd NEVER use Deans on anything potentially drawing more than 60A. The VXL-3S is designed for up to 200A continuous, and 320A peak. Thinking about those numbers, and what the Deans is rated to handle, do you think you should reconsider using Dean's?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Based on your vehicles, Deans is about the worst thing you could be using. I'm surprised something hasn't fried by now. Deans is great for low-power/low-Amp-draw, but not for larger/heavier vehicles like the Slash...and, definitely not for ANY 1/8 vehicles. That's why I said the connectors should be appropriate to the vehicles. I'm not going to tell you not to use them...but, plenty others might. Personally, I'd NEVER use Deans on anything potentially drawing more than 60A. The VXL-3S is designed for up to 200A continuous, and 320A peak. Thinking about those numbers, and what the Deans is rated to handle, do you think you should reconsider using Dean's?

Maybe for the wrong reasons, but Deans wasnít even a consideration, been leaning towards and already purchased enough EC5ís to convert all my gear. Just was curious if XT90 was a better option since many have recommended in this thread.

But as a side note, my two slashes have ran fine for 6 years on the Deans, never noticed them to be hot to the touch. Mostly on 2s with occasional 3s tho so they were not being pushed too hard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada-The Wet Coast!
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    QS8 connectors have entered chat

Is that like the S8? or something different.
    Slash 2WD Vision Edition
    100+ posts, here I come!

Quote Originally Posted by VisionSlash42 View Post
    Is that like the S8? or something different.
    No. If I remember correctly, the S8 connectors (like the S7 connectors I use in several of my FE boats) are bullet connectors inside individual plastic housings. The QS8 connectors are closer to something like 8mm versions of the XT or EC connectors. Zoom in on the photo, and see.