RC poster

3s to 4s connector question

Hello, Im new to the forums
    My name is Charles. I have a Slash 4x4 vxl. I put a Castle 2400kv 1415 series motor with a mamba X in it. Its geared at 18/54. I soldered the 3070 connector to it so I could use my Traxxas 3s lipos. I wanted to run 4s on it also. My buddy has a Maxx and Xmaxx. When I went to plug in his 4s battery into I realized that his maxx 4s battery has a different connector on it. When i say different its whatever the factory traxxas connector is and it looks kinda like the slash 3s but has a squared off part to it also. My question is, Can I purchase a traxxas 4s battery and solder the same 3070 connector like the slash uses and run it that way? If so, will it still charge on my Traxxas charger? Is there an adapter that will go from his 4s to my connection on my truck so I dont have to solder anything? Ive read just about everything I can about doing 4s conversions on Slashes but have never seen how people get around being able to run 3,4 or 6 on one connector, or I should say the factory slash connector. Anyways, thanks for the help guys, Ive been having fun here in Texas tearing it up on the ice covered roads the past few days.
    Edit: Ive also noticed ever since i switched the motor out that when I get to high speeds it starts to get hairy and the front correction that keeps the wheels straight cant keep up like it did before so it starts getting hard to keep straight to the point where you can spin out sometimes. Is that just a product of putting that stronger motor in it?
    Last edited by Charlie1980; 02-19-2021 at 09:21 PM.

RC Qualifier
    You need the 4s traxxas connector, like on the maxx (I don't know the part number). It'll accept 4s and lower, where as your current one only accepts 3s amd lower. Traxxas does this so a newbie doesn't over volt thier new toys. Adaptors aren't something you should be using on higher amp drawing brushless power, it'll end up causing issues down the road. Most people, like myself, use other style connectors when upgrading the electronics, so there is no voltage ratings, only amperage ratings, and you can use whatever battery you want to.
    Edit: the traxxas first gen connector will also accept both those batteries, and all traxxas batteries.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Steve g; 02-19-2021 at 09:36 PM.

RC poster
    Ok I see......so how about this. Could I cut the lines coming from the esc and solder another connector inline, like say a bullet for example, with a 4s connector on the other end. Then make another lead with a bullet and a 3s connector on it, that way I could just unlpug the lead and change it out back and forth between the two different batts if I wanted? Or would that be too much impedence possibly by having another connection in between? Maybe that would fall into the "not using an adapter" category you said now that I think about it.
    Last edited by Charlie1980; 02-19-2021 at 10:05 PM.

That is the first time I have heard anything like that. I run from 3 to 6s in my trucks. They all have the first generation Traxxas connector on them. They all fit perfectly

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    That is the first time I have heard anything like that. I run from 3 to 6s in my trucks. They all have the first generation Traxxas connector on them. They all fit perfectly
    There is a compatibility issue because of the new ID battery connectors. The first generation Traxxas connectors don't have a shroud over them like the new ID ones do. The ID connectors incorporate the balance leads into the plug (connector) which make them bigger.

In the pictures below they show the difference. In the VXL-6s picture it shows the shroud which allows only the 2s and 3s ID battery connectors to fit. In the VXL-8s picture it shows the bigger shroud which allows 2s, 3s and 4s ID connectors to fit. In the 3rd picture it is of a Traxxas 4s ID battery side connector. You can see the added balance connectors which make the plug a different size. So you can't plug in a Traxxas 4s LiPo ID battery plug into the smaller Traxxas ESC ID connectors. The last picture shows the 2s or 3s ID battery side connector.

4sID

A battery with the gen 1 connector should work with any traxxas esc connector. If you want to use the trx chargers with a battery set up with a gen 1 and separate balance wires there is a little blue plate on the front of the chargers that you can pry off to reveal balance connector sockets.

The manual should tell you how to set the charge rate manually when doing this.

RC poster
    I actually ran into this issue the other day. I used some cutters to snip away the shroud on my esc trx connector and that worked for me.

I have a new Traxxas 4 cell lipo. I have had absolutely no problem with plugging it in. I may need to take pictures or a video. They all fit.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I have a new Traxxas 4 cell lipo. I have had absolutely no problem with plugging it in. I may need to take pictures or a video. They all fit.
    If your ESC's have the first generation TRX plug then you wouldn't have any issue.

The first generation connectors don't have a shroud on either the battery side or ESC side. The new ID connectors have a shroud on both the battery side and the ESC side.

Traxxas ESC's are now coming equipped with the new ID style connectors on them. Which will look like either the VXL-6s or the VXL-8s picture above.