RC poster

Thermal shut down

I just got a new stock motor and esc courtesy of Traxxas. I am running stock 13/54 on 3s 6400mah lipos. I have a heavy finger and don't want to fry my gear, but I had a thermal shut down on my 1st run post rebuild. Since I had a heat issue previously I'm sure that nothing is binding, but I checked anyway. I know it's just how I drive. I would like to gear down to keep things cooler while bombing around. Any opinions on what pinions? 😂😂😂😂 (spurs also👌👌👌&#128077

RC Racer
    Mine was 200+ on the Traxxas link after burning through a 4500 mAh. So I could see it getting pretty dang hot after a 6400..

You can try adding fans and a heatsink to see if that helps. As for gearing, I am running 11/54 on my Slash 4x4 (4300kv motor; VXL diffs). The (specific) pinion that I am using is for the Hoss (5mm bore), so I don't think it will fit the VXL-3s motor (3mm bore). The spur that I am using is just the stock one.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    You can try adding fans and a heatsink to see if that helps. As for gearing, I am running 11/54 on my Slash 4x4 (4300kv motor; VXL diffs). The (specific) pinion that I am using is for the Hoss (5mm bore), so I don't think it will fit the VXL-3s motor (3mm bore). The spur that I am using is just the stock one.
    I ran my stock slash 4x4 VXL motor for a few years @ 19/54 (stock). No issues I added fans on both motor and esc. Now run a castle motor with a mamba exc again same gearing no issues. I run pretty hard, broken lots of arms, axels ect . both 2s and 3s. Ran 15/54 for one track I used to run on. Again no issues. I agree to add fans on both. Cheap fix. Good luck

RC Enthusiast
    Try 12/54. Worked good for me on 5000mah 3s pack. I'm now running 2.8's and went to 11/54 with no issues

RC Qualifier
    Just get a good fan setup. Here is mine and it has eliminated all of my thermal shutdowns or even getting close:

RC Competitor
    haly.gon, Are those the Yeah booster fans and how do you like them? Good air flow, good fit?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHog View Post
    haly.gon, Are those the Yeah booster fans and how do you like them? Good air flow, good fit?
    They are YR booster fans. They work great. Haven’t had a heat issue since air installed them as they (and the aluminum brackets holding them) work as a heat sink along with the high rpm fans in them. But that to say.. a good fan on the ESC is just as important as one(s) on the motor. I went with the HR fan because it has an aluminum base that extends the heat sink on the ESC.

RC poster
    Do u have a link for the fans?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dusky View Post
    Here are the booster fans on the motor:
    https://www.yeahracing.com/aluminum-...576bk-00080414

Here is the mounts I used:
    https://www.yeahracing.com/aluminum-...523bk-00069923

Here is the ESC Fan (with heat sink) I used:
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/hot-rac...yABEgIVrPD_BwE

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dusky View Post
    https://www.yeahracing.com/aluminum-...576bk-00080414

I spoke to amain yesterday as my Pro-tek aluminum case fan died again. They are replacing it under warranty for the 2nd time. Thought there was a batch with bad bearings. Also told me they're not meant for bashing. Maybe these are designed better with the dual bearing setup. Keep us updated please!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk