Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

The Wild Lady..... Mercedes G500 Project

It's time for the 2nd TRX-4 in the house. This one goes to my daughter, so it had to be a very special project

I wanted to keep a short wheelbase for this one, but keep the large side areas for creative purposes. As much as I'd love to get the Chassis Kit again and built it, I decided to go with the Mercedes G500 RTR on this one. None of the stock colors would fit this project, so the blue body is going for sale and I bought a clear one.

The main color will be Tamiya PS40 (Transluscent Pink), backed with Tamiya PS5 (Black)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
    It's time for the 2nd TRX-4 in the house. This one goes to my daughter, so it had to be a very special project

I wanted to keep a short wheelbase for this one, but keep the large side areas for creative purposes. As much as I'd love to get the Chassis Kit again and built it, I decided to go with the Mercedes G500 RTR on this one. None of the stock colors would fit this project, so the blue body is going for sale and I bought a clear one.

The main color will be Tamiya PS40 (Transluscent Pink), backed with Tamiya PS5 (Black)
    You Sir are an AWESOME father !
    ~ finally coming to terms with being a nerd ~

RC Racer
    go to the 8216 style shock towers in aluminum its a massive strength upgrade for the panhard mount bar in the front

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by chris5100 View Post
    go to the 8216 style shock towers in aluminum its a massive strength upgrade for the panhard mount bar in the front
    I got the set when I was building my D110 and used only the rear ones, so I still have the front ones lying around. It might be my driving style or that I have set up the endpoints at 85%, but I haven't noticed any stress on that bit.

RC Racer
    I got the set when I was building my D110 and used only the rear ones, so I still have the front ones lying around. It might be my driving style or that I have set up the endpoints at 85%, but I haven't noticed any stress on that bit.
    they snap very easy if you jump it and land on the front left wheel first. I wiped out 3 fenders on my trx6 till I went to the 8216 style. it stopped breaking and I let my trx6 fly through the air. with the hobbywing axe system it fully clears the jumps at the bmx track

RC Champion

Wait for more pics and advances.

RC Qualifier
    I started painting the body today, but after I applied several layers of the pink, I realized that black would make it really deep and dark, almost burgundy, in certain lighting conditions. Tomorrow I'll try to get some silver or white to back it up instead to make it pop.

Didn't get any pictures because I finished late and the light was very good at that time. Will make up for it tomorrow, though

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by chris5100 View Post
    they snap very easy if you jump it and land on the front left wheel first. I wiped out 3 fenders on my trx6 till I went to the 8216 style. it stopped breaking and I let my trx6 fly through the air. with the hobbywing axe system it fully clears the jumps at the bmx track
    I guess thats one of the advantages of our G500 having the high lift, the servo mount has the extra of two thick pieces which bolt to the fender support and then to the panhard bar.
    'If it's free, I'm buying two!'

RC Qualifier
    I finished painting the body today. What a wicked color this transluscent pink is

Depending on the lighting conditions and the angle you look at it, it changes. Goes from deep magenta, to cherry and roof tile red. I probably went a bit heavy with it and came out darker than I expected, so I backed it up with white and then applied black.

I also did the fenders and lower side part black. I have plans for those parts, in the coming days.

And of course, no little girls rig would be complete without some glitter on it

Tomorrow I'll do the plastic bits on the body. There's a bag with a ton of screws to mount them, so didn't even bothered opening it today. I'll get some more photos under the sunlight too.

That color looks amazing!
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Qualifier
    Got all the plastics mounted and it really came together.

Not a great fan of the chrome bits. I don't think they compliment this rig at all.

I got the traxxas light kit and will fit it later. I know it's on the expensive side, but after messing around with different lights for my other rig, I think the plug n play option and the amount of light they produce, is worth the trouble.

RC Qualifier
    Got the light kit installed. It took much longer than I expected, but it's nice and tidy. The lights are crazy strong for 3V.

RC Qualifier
    The annoying chrome on the side steps is gone

RC Champion
    Got all the plastics mounted and it really came together.

Not a great fan of the chrome bits. I don't think they compliment this rig at all.

I got the traxxas light kit and will fit it later. I know it's on the expensive side, but after messing around with different lights for my other rig, I think the plug n play option and the amount of light they produce, is worth the trouble.
    Excellent look mate,

RC Competitor
    looks good buddy!

RC Qualifier
    I really like how the color came out. It has some nice depth from up close BUT.... the little one doesn't like it because it's not pink enough

She has everything planned for this rig, so who am I to say differently? It's her rig after all. So back to the paintshop we go. I ordered another clear body and this time we'll go with Tamiya PS29 Fluorescent Pink, backed with PS41 Bright Silver. Hopefully that will give the bright look she's after.

I don't mind though, because I have some ideas to modify this body heavily and didn't want to mess her rig if they don't work out.

So I'll concentrate on tweaking the chassis, until everything gets here.

RC Competitor
    I really like how the color came out. It has some nice depth from up close BUT.... the little one doesn't like it because it's not pink enough
    I don't mind though, because I have some ideas to modify this body heavily and didn't want to mess her rig if they don't work out. So I'll concentrate on tweaking the chassis, until everything gets here.
    You did such a beautiful job with the paint, you'd have no problems selling the body IMO. Tell her I said she has a great dad
    ~ finally coming to terms with being a nerd ~

RC Competitor
    My 4 year old son wanted a pink bike for christmas.
    He got a blue one.
    Stick to your guns.

Tell her she can have a lighter pink one when this shell is wrecked.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by littleharold View Post
    You did such a beautiful job with the paint, you'd have no problems selling the body IMO. Tell her I said she has a great dad
    Oh, I'm definitely keeping the body. It will find it's purpose once I finish building this rig

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyUK View Post
    My 4 year old son wanted a pink bike for christmas.
    He got a blue one.
    Stick to your guns.

Tell her she can have a lighter pink one when this shell is wrecked.
    I see your logic, but it's not exactly the same. I promise her a pink one, and although it came out great, in her eyes it's not what she expected. And I really want ot let her do whatever she wants with the body. I'll be driving this as well, and it will feel a bit weird to get it down the trails with unicorns and fairies stickers on it

RC Enthusiast
    Color turns out great.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JCM5 View Post
    Color turns out great.
    Totally agree. But she wants pink. I showed her the video you posted on the other forum and she loved that pink G500

RC Enthusiast
    Totally agree. But she wants pink. I showed her the video you posted on the other forum and she loved that pink G500
    Oops, I guess sell this or use as shelf queen and get another body and make sure it’s Trisha Paytas pink LOL
    Last edited by JCM5; 02-26-2021 at 12:05 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JCM5 View Post
    Oops, I guess sell this or use as shelf queen and get another body and make sure it’s Trisha Paytas pink LOL
    LOL Dude!

However, I'm keeping the body. I have a project in my mind to turn it into something totally different than I've seen around.

RC Qualifier
    Not much to do while waiting for the new body to get here, so did some work on the chassis instead.

Got a Yeah Racing rear bumper and LCG Battery Tray and installed them.

The bumper sits a bit lower than I would have liked it on the lower mounting position. The higher position requires some inner fender trimming. The stock bumper has to be removed as well.

The battery tray sits nice and low. Actually lower than the one I installed on my other TRX4. It keeps the battery almost flat. The plastic bit between the rails, had to move a few holes back to accomodate the longer 5000MAh battery.

why cant my parents be more like you also that color looks amazing
    "The fun begins when the trail ends"

RC Qualifier
    Well, the limitation of shock travel because of the battery tray was significant. Maybe 6-7mm.

I tried to put some washers to raise it a little bit, but it didn't do the trick. The lower mounting part of the tray was hitting the links.

So I ended up turning the mounting bracket by 90 degrees and now the tray sits around 10mm higher on the back side.

It raised the CG a bit, but it's a compromise I'm willing to make if I want peace of mind that it will not bang into my Lipo battery all the time

I had a couple of runs on my homemade test board, and there's a lot of clearance now

Last edited by xagoras; 03-02-2021 at 05:56 PM.

Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada-The Wet Coast!
    Lookin' good! You really are a great dad!
    Slash 2WD Vision Edition
    100+ posts, here I come!

RC Qualifier
    OK, new body and colors finally here

This time we went with Tamiya Fluo Pink PS-29 and Bright Silver PS-41. Time to hit the paintshop

RC Racer
    Ah-Ah !

If I may suggest, paint a whatever small glass or translucide plastic panel then apply both paints.

Give it to the high instance for approbation. If not approuved, than you may change the base of the Pink for black or white or even the last pink following by gray/black/white - that will gives you a lot of pink variations

Good luck !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bach View Post
    Ah-Ah !

If I may suggest, paint a whatever small glass or translucide plastic panel then apply both paints.

Give it to the high instance for approbation. If not approuved, than you may change the base of the Pink for black or white or even the last pink following by gray/black/white - that will gives you a lot of pink variations

Good luck !

Already done that. We've been running test with the daughter since morning to get the ''approval''

RC Qualifier
    The paint job is progressing slower than I expected because of the weather. It's been windy and rainy almost all day. I painted black some rear lights guards I got the other day from Yeah Racing.

The Dremel got busy and cut the top part of the rear fender. It now sits around 6mm higher, without trimming the inner fenders

I was thinking of a way to move the battery to the front, without raising the CG. I'm thinking to utilise the stock battery tray and some typical L shape magnet holders. I think it can be mounted on the inner fender's light holes with the L shape holders and then screw the stock holder on the back to hold it in place.

I need to shave off the little battery's area to make it sit lower. If I make it sit in the right angle, it will probably clear the sub servos movement without problem. The idea is to move the CG a bit to the front. It's probably on the same height as the current tray, or perhaps just a bit higher.

What do you reckon? Is it worth the trouble? Should be an improvement, CG wise, right?

RC Racer
    In my humble opinion ... not worth the trouble and not that clean set-up as there is a better solution from the manufacturer.

You, would be better be served with a small 2S or 3S on the front, there is a plate which is specially designed for that purpose - to take a small battery with a strap
    (you can buy 2 of those small batteries and swap them when required - the G500 came with that front plate, and you can put either 2S or 3S Battery pack -yout choice)

Pic from traxxas

The weight distribution charge will be as following - front 59%, rear 41%

webpage from traxxas (go to the near end of the page)

https://traxxas.com/news/maximize-tr...rt-performance

NOTE:

For serious crawling config, I have both 2s small batteries with an Y. So the first battery goes at the lowest position of the standard tray from CG improvement, and the 2sd battery goes on the front with a strap to improve the more frontal weight distribution.
    Last edited by Bach; 03-11-2021 at 07:40 PM.

RC Qualifier
    You mean the parallel cable?

RC Enthusiast
    Must be parallel, serial Y cable would built 4S (2+2) system...

RC Racer
    Right in parallel.

But the way to do that 'right' is somehow a little bit tricky:

. You have to buy both same battery, same manufacturer, same model, same time.
    . You have to wire it in order to have the (+) coming from the first battery, and the (-) from the second one
    . Same cable gage for the electric wires

These points will allow to 'de-charge' or deplete your both batteries at the same rate, equally in usage. Otherwise one will be de-charged more than another, then the other will charge the more depleted one to reach natural equilibrium ... this will kill both batteries very prematurely

The best solution for me was to wire it myself - the cable is in my office and I won't go there until next Tuesday (I do mostly work remotely from home with and VPN connection) - so no pic until next Tuesday. Saying that here some literatures and sketchs

https://caravanchronicles.com/guides...rallel-part-2/

NOTES : As I am cheap, I didn't buy Traxxas batteries, so I have one Traxxas to Deans adaptor. And all my other interconnection are in Deans. The other reason is I have also trail rc vehicle that already took the Deans connector.

Also, I bough the cheap connectors at amazon - but they have a bunch of offers from others.

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/paires-co...12100033&psc=1

The best way / easiest way - for you, may be buying one small 3S battery from Traxxas which I was told can stand 45-60 minutes. And depending on the track/adventure, you put the 3S one at the front or the standard tray, lower location.
    Last edited by Bach; 03-12-2021 at 06:10 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bach View Post
    Right in parallel.

But the way to do that 'right' is somehow a little bit tricky:

. You have to buy both same battery, same manufacturer, same model, same time.
    . You have to wire it in order to have the (+) coming from the first battery, and the (-) from the second one
    . Same cable gage for the electric wires

These points will allow to 'de-charge' or deplete your both batteries at the same rate, equally in usage. Otherwise one will be de-charged more than another, then the other will charge the more depleted one to reach natural equilibrium ... this will kill both batteries very prematurely

The best solution for me was to wire it myself - the cable is in my office and I won't go there until next Tuesday (I do mostly work remotely from home with and VPN connection) - so no pic until next Tuesday. Saying that here some literatures and sketchs

https://caravanchronicles.com/guides...rallel-part-2/

NOTES : As I am cheap, I didn't buy Traxxas batteries, so I have one Traxxas to Deans adaptor. And all my other interconnection are in Deans. The other reason is I have also trail rc vehicle that already took the Deans connector.

Also, I bough the cheap connectors at amazon - but they have a bunch of offers from others.

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/paires-co...12100033&psc=1

The best way / easiest way - for you, may be buying one small 3S battery from Traxxas which I was told can stand 45-60 minutes. And depending on the track/adventure, you put the 3S one at the front or the standard tray, lower location.

Good info there, thanks. I don't use the stock tray. I have a low CG from Yeah Racing installed, but was thinking to try out some things anyway. At the moment I only have some Traxxas 5000 MAh 3S batteries, so trying to figure out how to improve CG with them. Maybe I'll try the shorter ones at some point.

RC Qualifier
    BOOM! Finally there...

Of course the glitter couldn't miss the party

RC Qualifier
    The rear bumper sits perfect and the departure angle is not affected much either.

And of course I lost the arguement with my daughter about the chrome parts, so they are back. Her rig, her rules she says

This time it came out perfectly. Fluo pink was the right choise for this. The Transluscent Pink was a great color and have much potential, but didn't quite fit this project.

In case someone is interested, I did 3-4 thin coats of pink, then a couple of coats RC Car Silver Glitter RCC924, then backed up with Tamiya silver. The fenders, same process but black instead of pink.

The little one is happy with it, so I'm happy with it too.

Now it's stickers time

RC Qualifier
    Little girls and unicorns go hand in hand, so...

RC Racer
    Nice deco - this pink paint flashes a lot.

This will prevent you to use/take her toy out without her !
    (and she was right : the chrome suit the pink very well)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast