RC Competitor

Tire and wheel size/type guide?

Hi everyone, Iím new here and really enjoying the info.
    I have a 2wd Slash Raptor Iíve been loving and Iím about to build another custom Slash for my wife. Iíve searched, but canít really find a detailed explanation of fitment, sizes, hexes, etc.
    Iíve schooled myself pretty well here in regard to electronics, suspension, and overall construction but still have lotís of (dumb) questions about wheel and tire choices in regard to fitment.
    (I would prefer not to go the the RPM offset front lower arms to run the same wheels front and rear because I already upgraded to aluminum arms, so Iím ok being stuck with the front/rear deviation.)
    Thanks for a great resource, and a really friendly community!
    Slash Raptor, Slash Baja Bug Basher, TA Trophy Rat

RC Competitor
    Also, just read steeeves sand runner thread and he mentioned replacement conversion hexes. Could these be used with the stock configuration lower arms to run the same wheels front and rear, and if so which ones would I get?
    Thanks again.

Welcome to Traxxas Forums!!!

SCTs (short course trucks) usually have 2.2/3.0 wheels, meaning that the outer part has a 2.2" rim, while the inner part (facing the center of the car) is 3.0". The reason it is like that is for the wheel to clear the steering components on the front and to reduce ballooning of the tires at higher speeds.

The stock hexes are 12mm hexes, and there are other options such as 14mm and 17mm hexes. There are not a lot of options for 14mm hexes, which is why most people go with 17mm hexes.

The wheels that Steeeve is running are the Proline Raid wheels, which use interchangeable hexes. And yes, they fit the Slash without any modifications. You can find the wheels premounted with Proline Trenchers, Badlands, Badlands MX, BFG KR2s, Gladiators, and Street Fighters.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?s=raid+short+course
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Welcome to Traxxas Forums!!!

The stock hexes are 12mm hexes, and there are other options such as 14mm and 17mm hexes. There are not a lot of options for 14mm hexes, which is why most people go with 17mm hexes.
    ]
    Thanks for the welcome!
    On my 2wd, I read that the front hexes are 12mm and the rears are 17mm. So if I installed 17mm hexes on the front, then you could run the same wheel/tire combos front and rear, or am I not understanding this properly? Thanks for the info and the link!

Quote Originally Posted by Ducati Pilot View Post
    Thanks for the welcome!
    On my 2wd, I read that the front hexes are 12mm and the rears are 17mm. So if I installed 17mm hexes on the front, then you could run the same wheel/tire combos front and rear, or am I not understanding this properly? Thanks for the info and the link!
    2wd slash has 12mm hex front and back.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    2wd slash has 12mm hex front and back.

Right, but I thought the offset was 12mm front and 17mm rear, thatís why I was (am) confused. Iíve seen a lot of wheel/tire combos for cheap, much less than the Pro-Lines, that say they fit both front and rear of the 2wd Slash, but they donít list the offset, just that they are SC 12mm hex fitment. Any recommendations for running the same size front and rear?

Quote Originally Posted by Ducati Pilot View Post
    Right, but I thought the offset was 12mm front and 17mm rear, that’s why I was (am) confused. I’ve seen a lot of wheel/tire combos for cheap, much less than the Pro-Lines, that say they fit both front and rear of the 2wd Slash, but they don’t list the offset, just that they are SC 12mm hex fitment. Any recommendations for running the same size front and rear?
    The hexes are both the same front and rear (12mm), and the offset of the front wheels is a bit larger than the offset of the rear wheels (not completely sure on how much, but it shouldn't be more than a few mm). Generally, the wheels advertised for the slash are the rear offsets.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Racer
    Yeah, like Willy said, most wheels that dont list the offset are made for "Traxxas rear" by default. Your best bet with wheel offsets rather than trying to find numbered offsets, just search for "Traxxas Front" and "Traxxas Rear" and it will be correct for your application. RPM and Duratrax both make wheel/tire combos for the 2wd Slash that fit correctly (and cost less than Proline). And if you dont really care about the tires poking out a small bit, you can run rear offsets on the front. It may rub on the stock body with stock body posts, but a small bit of trimming to the wheel well would fix that.

RC Competitor
    Keep in mind that the front and rear hexes are 12mm but are different sizes. 7.5mm offset and 5.5mm offset.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Finz View Post
    Keep in mind that the front and rear hexes are 12mm but are different sizes. 7.5mm offset and 5.5mm offset.
    Yes, the front has thicker hex adapters than the rear. However, running the "shallower" rear rims (as in the hex area) on the front wont effect anything. You cant run front rims in the rear of a 2wd as the rear hexes wouldnt be thick enough and the rim itself would press on the bearing carrier as you tightened it. You can run 4 rears on a 2wd with no modification, but not 4 fronts.

I have prolines mx28 badlands on my 2wd slash and the offset looks the same front and back. No matter how i swap around the tires. I actually rotate them after every other session to keep them new and nothing changes.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by devestator View Post
    Yeah, like Willy said, most wheels that dont list the offset are made for "Traxxas rear" by default. Your best bet with wheel offsets rather than trying to find numbered offsets, just search for "Traxxas Front" and "Traxxas Rear" and it will be correct for your application. RPM and Duratrax both make wheel/tire combos for the 2wd Slash that fit correctly (and cost less than Proline). And if you dont really care about the tires poking out a small bit, you can run rear offsets on the front. It may rub on the stock body with stock body posts, but a small bit of trimming to the wheel well would fix that.
    Great info, thanks. I felt silly not being able to get my mind around this, and I really appreciate the info. Good to know I can run rears on the front.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    I have prolines mx28 badlands on my 2wd slash and the offset looks the same front and back. No matter how i swap around the tires. I actually rotate them after every other session to keep them new and nothing changes.

Those were my first choice, but if I drop $80+ on a set of rims and tires I might be endangering my wifeís new found enthusiasm for this hobby!
    That said, the devil in me wants to know how much time you get out of these tires in spirited driving. They must wear much more quickly on blacktop, but weíre running 90% off road in dirt, sure-packed driveway, and grass.

RC Racer
    The stock tires? Ive got a few heavy runs on sand covered asphalt, which results in a lot of wheel spin with my brushless setup. Id say they are only 1/8th of the way worn. By heavy, I mean powersliding, donuts, standing launches on textured concrete driveways... you know all the things that wear tires down fast.

RC Enthusiast
    Please be sure to check the real dimensions :-)
    I was always reading about 2.8” and some people going with Trenchers and some with Badlands. So I first bought the Trencher for son 1 and the size is fairly comparable to the stock.
    Then I went ahead and just ordered the 2.8” Badlands and found that they are way bigger ��

Outer tire diameter was something like 20mm bigger, width also significantly bigger!

Before going “2.8” I had Trenchers on car 1 and Badlands on car 2. Both gave significant improvements on dirt! No comparison. We tested the cars next to each other, stock vs. trenchers, on a BMX dirt track with a 4-5ft high ramp: the stock “drove up” but the trenchers “jumped up” by a foot.
    Badlands vs. trencher is not as big of a deal, at least not on dry hard dirt. In sand at the beach the difference was bigger in favor of the badlands, but not really huge.

Now having both on 2.8” I can say the Badlands add a lot to the overall impact compensation while bashing, but speed u-turns it’s more likely to flip.

In terms of wear:
    After running 15-20 batteries on both cars I could see more wear on the badlands, but they were still good to go. And once you start doing “half donuts” on asphalt... yeah: you surely see wear :-)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by devestator View Post
    The stock tires? Ive got a few heavy runs on sand covered asphalt, which results in a lot of wheel spin with my brushless setup. Id say they are only 1/8th of the way worn. By heavy, I mean powersliding, donuts, standing launches on textured concrete driveways... you know all the things that wear tires down fast.
    Yeah, I like the stock tires, and the fact that they’re not that sticky. They’re fun! Unfortunately, I’m now clearly obsessed with this hobby and my underlying sickness can no longer be kept at bay. So...new tires, I can’t wait! I will put off the purchase until the stockers are completely smoked though. At least this is cheaper than my prior 1:1 habit. The cool thing is, RC’s have come SO far since I last had one, that I’m doing many of the exact modifications I’ve been doing on road and track to vehicles for the last 30 years. I was a suspension guy, and did setup for people doing track days and club racing for a few years. When I saw fully adjustable heim jointed suspensions on these new RC’s that were completely upgradeable I almost wet myself a little. Can’t wait for the frustration of endless tweaking to get a “perfect” result from a tire change.
    Last edited by Ducati Pilot; 02-25-2021 at 08:10 AM.

RC poster
    Hey guys, great thread. I've read a multiple others on here about Sl4sh tire/wheel swap, but this one is fresh so I'll add on here:
    I just bought some Pro-line Sand Paw 1186-10's (5.22" diameter) and am wondering if I should have bought Sand Paw low profile 10160-10 (4.49" diameter) for my Sl4sh?
    Any experience on the use of both? Bigger ones are for Stampede, smaller designed for Rustler.
    P.S. I have Pro Line extended body mounts.