Thread: New ESC Ideas.

RC Enthusiast

Question New ESC Ideas.

blew up an esc in my udr and from what im hearing they are not the best, what are you guys doing bring new systems to avoid the problem, if any. or just buying another esc.

RC Racer
    Iím just buying another stock one but if you wanted the cheaper route you could get a hobbywing max 6 but if you wanted more power you could get a castle mamba monster for about 400$ and the hobby wing would be about 300$. Those prices would include the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikemort View Post
    ...you could get a castle mamba monster for about 400$...
    Not sure where you're getting your prices, but the list price of the Mamba Monster X combo with 2200kv motor is $275 Usd.
    Link: castlecreations.com/en/mamba-monster-x

Or you can get the Mamba Monster 2 combo for $240 Usd.
    Link: castlecreations.com/en/mamba-monster-2
    Last edited by grizzly03; 02-21-2021 at 11:21 PM. Reason: fixed link

RC Champion
    The mmx+2200kv is usually 260 on places like amain. I would avoid mm2 for the udr since itís bec is far weaker than that of the MMX

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    The mmx+2200kv is usually 260 on places like amain. I would avoid mm2 for the udr since it’s bec is far weaker than that of the MMX
    Why is the BEC weaker? They are both shown as being rated at 8amps.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Why is the BEC weaker? They are both shown as being rated at 8amps.
    The listing for the mm2+2200kv on their site seems like someone just copied and pasted the bed spec from the mmx page, because the standalone mm2 page doesn’t say the amp limit.

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/1...sc-010-0108-00

Unless they secretly upgraded mm2 I remember the 8amp bec on the mmx was one of the big sell point when mmx came out in 2015
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 02-22-2021 at 12:15 AM.

I don't know about the BEC, but the selling point I remember was the MMX being a sensored esc where the MM2 wasn't.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I don't know about the BEC, but the selling point I remember was the MMX being a sensored esc where the MM2 wasn't.
    The BEC on the mm2 was a reason why the CC 10amp external BEC was so popular. That 8amp figure was not used before the mmx came out, otherwise Castle has been very tight lipped about the mm2 bec amp rating so I’m inclined to think the one place it was listed as 8amp was a mistake. It happens.

I mean if we are listing the pluses of the mmx, there are also the data logging, the telemetry, better current spike handling, etc. even more reason to get the mmx

RC Racer
    Must have been looking at 8s

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikemort View Post
    Must have been looking at 8s
    He was looking at the right esc, I think someone at castle just made a minor mistake updating the mm2/2200kv combo page here

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/m...ed-010-0108-03

The descriptions should be matching. Wether or not in a combo. Castle should definitely take a look at their product descriptions.

TwoBelugas is correct in commenting on the copy and paste comment. If you look at the technical specs and look at the physical size measurements, there is something definitely wrong there.

Mamba Monster 2: https://www.castlecreations.com/en/1...sc-010-0108-00
    Mamba Monster 2 combo: https://www.castlecreations.com/en/m...ed-010-0108-03

For me I would spend the small extra and get the MMX. Sensored is so much smoother!

RC Enthusiast
    I used my stock one until the warranty was up (replaced it once under warranty) and when it gave up I got a Max 6 and still using the stock motor. You get a noticeable gain in performance and it never breaks a sweat. The HW 2200 motor had a slight gain in performance, but surprisingly it ran hotter then the stock motor. So I’ll stick with the stock motor till it fails. Depends on what your budget is, but for the money, the max 6 is a direct drop in and is in expensive with a gain in performance over the stock.