Thread: Suggested help

RC poster

Suggested help

Hi I just recently bought a Traxxas slash 2WD nitro Friday February 19. I ran 2 tanks at 25 percent throttle with easy on and off the throttle. my 3rd tank I moved to 50 percent but at this time put on the body. While running I had family members that was racing their electric cars and they flipped me 3 times. First 2 times just flooded the glow plug just let car sit for about 10 minutes then fired up ran normal. Third time though the gear ate some teeth and engine rapped up and trying to squeeze line to shut off accidently pulled off fuel line from tank. At this time is when I noticed the gear teeth was grinded down. Replaced gear next morning and was able to get fuel line back on. Everything still seemed fine as I ran rest of the tank and 1 more through it at 50 percent intervals. Thinking everything was good I put aside till Sunday evening to go back up to parking lot to start tuning. Well when I started up the 5th tank it ran sluggish sporadic weak at idle. I tried adjusting high speed needle and low speed but seemed to get worse. I changed out plug to the extra plug that came with car with no improvement. after another fill I finally got it to run with good power but it now wont idle properly, if the wheels completely stop spinning it shuts off motor if I brake motor shuts off. It will idle if wheels are not on ground but its sporadic. If I give a little gas when placing on ground I can get it to stay running and runs with normal power. After this run I noticed bubbles in the fuel going into the carburetor. Thinking possibly line wasn't air tight tried looking for leaks but couldn't find any. Not sure if exhaust has anything to do with it but the tiny pin size tube coming off side that you place finger over to prime fuel into engine has fallen off. Thanks for any help Michael

The idling problem could be a broken clutch spring. Take the clutch bell off and there is a spring that goes around the clutch shoes. It should look like a loop holding the shoes together.

RC poster
    thanks will take that apart an check it in morning.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    The idling problem could be a broken clutch spring. Take the clutch bell off and there is a spring that goes around the clutch shoes. It should look like a loop holding the shoes together.
    Taking car apart now. Just noticed that the exhaust pipe was turned sideways and the small tube at end was turned into the chassis where it couldn’t have any air flow. Would that cause any of the issues?

The fuel system relies on pressure from the exhaust to operate correctly. If the pipe is unhooked or kinked it is very possible it would cause tuning issues. It's a good idea to check the coupler for damage too. It's the blue piece that connects the exhaust manifold to the pipe.

RC poster
    Thank you for all the help. The spring was broken I am waiting for the replacement part since my local shop didn’t have it in. Also any recommendations for buying just the spring so not buying the shoes every time spring goes. I looked over the coupler looks good but it’s not very well sealed, easily turns what could I use to seal it. Thanks again I would have never thought of clutch spring.

Don't know where to get the spring separate. It's not a common part to break. I'm thinking maybe just bad luck. The coupler should be held on with zip-ties. That's all that is needed to seal them. Glad it was an easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Don't know where to get the spring separate. It's not a common part to break. I'm thinking maybe just bad luck. The coupler should be held on with zip-ties. That's all that is needed to seal them. Glad it was an easy fix.
    I believe MIP used to sell a pair of springs separately for their clutch shoes that worked perfectly with the stock ones. Probably don't produce them anymore though.

Edit: found an order that I made eight years ago. Part #MIP3072 if you can find them...

As for breaking, I've had very little issues with both the shoes and springs since I flipped my shoes to leading edge and installed the spring with the end in the middle of the shoe rather than at the pin (but they eventually make their way to the pin after much use).
    Last edited by Double G; 02-24-2021 at 08:57 PM.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Thanks for help. Replaced spring and up and runnin. Doesn’t feel like I’m getting 100 percent power but close around 85-90. Thanks double G I looked up those parts and found a pair of springs and will have them soon.

@digitalperil That's good news indeed. Glad it's up and running.

@Double G Thanks for the spring info. I remember the MIP shoes, but not the springs.