RC poster

Importing TRX-4 Defender to India

Hi all,

New to crawling and RC. I have ordered a TRX-4 Defender as my first car. It takes more than a month to get to India (and will cost me about three times what it costs in the US ). I hike frequently with my kids and I hope to have some fun times with the crawler.

There are no parts available in India - not traxxas, not any other brands. And since everything has to be ordered from the US, I might as well order some stuff in advance.

I have ordered 2 3s lipo batteries and a charger. I have also ordered a couple of steering servos as most forums say Traxxas servos blow up fast and are not powerful enough. I ordered a differential servo as well, though by mistake.

Is there anything else I should order now itself? Do I need a tool kit (over and above what the TRX4 comes with)? Do I need grease and/or silicon oil? If yes, any recommendations for the same? What else would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Welcome to Traxxas Forums!

You don't have to get the Traxxas tool kit, but if you cannot find any 1.5mm, 2mm, 2.5mm, and 3mm hex wrenches around your area, then it is a good idea to order one. As for grease and lubricants, most types of lithium grease and marine grease will work (it doesn't have to be the same as what comes with the car). I think automotive grease will work as well.

For other parts, I am not sure if the newer versions of the TRX-4 come with a steel servo horn. If they come with a plastic one, it would strip pretty easily, so it is recommended to get the steel servo horn: https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8247X
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Racer
    order a set of axle shafts front and back and a couple sets of portal gears
    they are cheap and what you will most likely break.

RC Racer
    I thought the TRX-4 can only take 2s? you might want to check that

Quote Originally Posted by Invincibl View Post
    The TRX-4 has the XL-5 HV, so it can take 3s no problem.

All the things that the people mentioned above me are pretty good.

If you plan on frequently using the car, you may want to consider a spare motor (15-20 dollars), as brushed motors have a relatively limited lifespan. (still plenty long for a crawler though) There are a lot of brands out there, the Holmes Hobbies trailmaster is a really good motor, but I'm not sure if it is importable. If not, another stock traxxas motor should do just as well.

You should get some shock oil if it's not available in India too. The shock oil will very very very slowly leak out of the shock, and you'll have to refill them. A shock oil replacement every couple of months or so is also good. Stock oil is 30wt (around 350cst). You generally want silicone oil, but other oils will work too, just they may not be as good for the o-rings.

An extra shift servo (differential servos) is good too, sometimes they can fail.

Metal servo horn is also highly suggested, especially if you have a high powered servos.

Everything else is pretty tough, there isn't much to break on the trx4, especially if you're just trailing.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

Quote Originally Posted by Invincibl View Post
    As RCWilly has said in this thread and to your same comment HERE post #8. There is XL-5 and a XL-5HV. The HV version can take 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by Genghiskhan View Post
    Hi all,

New to crawling and RC. I have ordered a TRX-4 Defender as my first car. It takes more than a month to get to India (and will cost me about three times what it costs in the US ). I hike frequently with my kids and I hope to have some fun times with the crawler.

There are no parts available in India - not traxxas, not any other brands. And since everything has to be ordered from the US, I might as well order some stuff in advance.

I have ordered 2 3s lipo batteries and a charger. I have also ordered a couple of steering servos as most forums say Traxxas servos blow up fast and are not powerful enough. I ordered a differential servo as well, though by mistake.

Is there anything else I should order now itself? Do I need a tool kit (over and above what the TRX4 comes with)? Do I need grease and/or silicon oil? If yes, any recommendations for the same? What else would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    You could try Aliexpress.com for parts and accessories - I think you will find they deliver to India.

Silicone grease would be useful. You can do most things with the tools that come with your Defender.

If you are putting in the Traxxas Servo (2255), you'll need a BEC 2262.

Enjoy that Defender!
    Stephen
    An Englishman in France
    Vallee du Loir.

RC poster
    Wow! Thank you all for all the good advice. I will be adding the servo horn, oil, motor and axle shafts to my shopping list. @sarthetrx4 The replacement servos are the PowerHD ones that operate at 6V so I guess I won't require BEC 2262 for now. @RCWilly, thanks for listing the tools needed. These are available here.

Thanks for all the prompt help. This is a great community.

RC Racer
    Wow! Thank you all for all the good advice. I will be adding the servo horn, oil, motor and axle shafts to my shopping list. @sarthetrx4 The replacement servos are the PowerHD ones that operate at 6V so I guess I won't require BEC 2262 for now. @RCWilly, thanks for listing the tools needed. These are available here.

Thanks for all the prompt help. This is a great community.
    It's not the Voltage the problem. It's the Amps they draw. Traxxas ESC can deliver just 1 Amp if I'm not mistaken, which is too low for these servos.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
    It's not the Voltage the problem. It's the Amps they draw. Traxxas ESC can deliver just 1 Amp if I'm not mistaken, which is too low for these servos.
    Agree with this, prefer to buy a UBEC.

RC poster
    Ok, these last 2 comments have confused me a bit. I understand that the amperage (1A) is low for the servos. Does this mean I need to upgrade the BEC or the ESC or both? Sorry if my question sounds stupid, I am just getting familiar with all the tech stuff.

Ok, these last 2 comments have confused me a bit. I understand that the amperage (1A) is low for the servos. Does this mean I need to upgrade the BEC or the ESC or both? Sorry if my question sounds stupid, I am just getting familiar with all the tech stuff.
    There are two types of BECs that essentially do the same thing, which is to regulate the voltage from the battery to a set voltage for the receiver, servo, and rest of the electronics. For example, if I am running an 11.1V battery and the receiver of the car can only take 6V, the BEC regulates the voltage to 6V for the receiver.

The first type is the most common, which is called an "internal BEC". It is integrated in (almost) every ESC on the market and is what the TRX-4 comes standard with.

The second type is called an "external BEC" (or a UBEC as some people like to call it; the 'U' stands for 'universal'). It does the exact same as the internal BEC, but it is a separate unit by itself.

As for your case, you only have to do one or the other, since doing both would be repetitive. I would say the stock ESC is not a bad ESC (the only bad thing about it is the BEC), so just getting an external BEC would be fine.

As for external BEC options, Castle Creations makes a good one (27usd; 4.8V-9V adjustable, 10 amp), but it does require soldering and some wiring: https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...0004-00/p18210

Traxxas also makes an external BEC that is plug and play and easy to use, but it doesn't say the specifications on how strong it is, and it is fairly expensive (40usd): https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...ra2262/p802373

For almost the same price as getting the Traxxas BEC, you can get a new Hobbywing 1080 ESC (42usd; 6V/7.4V switchable, 3amp BEC):
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywi...112750/p564169

All three options have their pros and cons, so choose whichever one that suits you the best.

(Also, no worries about asking too many questions. We are happy to answer them for you, so if you have any more questions, keep on asking )

Hey,
    I am also in Delhi and wondering where you ordered your lipo batteries from? My son (who just joined today and started asking questions) is looking at a trx4. We have a couple of other trucks already. Our existing lipos have puffed and we need some new ones. Did you get them locally or are you paying the premium to ship from North America?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    There are two types of BECs that essentially do the same thing, which is to regulate the voltage from the battery to a set voltage for the receiver, servo, and rest of the electronics. For example, if I am running an 11.1V battery and the receiver of the car can only take 6V, the BEC regulates the voltage to 6V for the receiver.

The first type is the most common, which is called an "internal BEC". It is integrated in (almost) every ESC on the market and is what the TRX-4 comes standard with.

The second type is called an "external BEC" (or a UBEC as some people like to call it; the 'U' stands for 'universal'). It does the exact same as the internal BEC, but it is a separate unit by itself.

As for your case, you only have to do one or the other, since doing both would be repetitive. I would say the stock ESC is not a bad ESC (the only bad thing about it is the BEC), so just getting an external BEC would be fine.

As for external BEC options, Castle Creations makes a good one (27usd; 4.8V-9V adjustable, 10 amp), but it does require soldering and some wiring: https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...0004-00/p18210

Traxxas also makes an external BEC that is plug and play and easy to use, but it doesn't say the specifications on how strong it is, and it is fairly expensive (40usd): https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...ra2262/p802373

For almost the same price as getting the Traxxas BEC, you can get a new Hobbywing 1080 ESC (42usd; 6V/7.4V switchable, 3amp BEC):
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywi...112750/p564169

All three options have their pros and cons, so choose whichever one that suits you the best.

(Also, no worries about asking too many questions. We are happy to answer them for you, so if you have any more questions, keep on asking )
    @RCWilly, thank you for the detailed reply. This makes it a lot clearer. I will order a BEC as well.
    I am sure I will have more questions once the TRX arrives. Right now, just waiting anxiously for it to be shipped

RC poster
    I have ordered the traxxas batteries and charger from the US. Want to keep it simple as I am just starting off.
    You can google Havoc Hobby in Bangalore. They may have lipo batteries.

RC Racer
    https://www.rcmart.com/

These guys are based in Hong Kong and they usually have Traxxas batteries or they might be able to order them for you.

RC poster
    Can the stock TRX-4 diff. lock + transmission servos handle more than 6V?

Quote Originally Posted by stehnak View Post
    They are rated 6V max.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by stehnak View Post
    Iíve been running mine at 7.4V for 6+ months with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
    All the things that the people mentioned above me are pretty good.

If you plan on frequently using the car, you may want to consider a spare motor (15-20 dollars), as brushed motors have a relatively limited lifespan. (still plenty long for a crawler though) There are a lot of brands out there, the Holmes Hobbies trailmaster is a really good motor, but I'm not sure if it is importable. If not, another stock traxxas motor should do just as well.

You should get some shock oil if it's not available in India too. The shock oil will very very very slowly leak out of the shock, and you'll have to refill them. A shock oil replacement every couple of months or so is also good. Stock oil is 30wt (around 350cst). You generally want silicone oil, but other oils will work too, just they may not be as good for the o-rings.

An extra shift servo (differential servos) is good too, sometimes they can fail.

Metal servo horn is also highly suggested, especially if you have a high powered servos.

Everything else is pretty tough, there isn't much to break on the trx4, especially if you're just trailing.
    I would definately get a spare motor. they are cheaper than any of the other motors in my traxxas cars and if you plan to drive in water,sand,snow,mud it can ware the motor faster
    "The fun begins when the trail ends"