RC poster

Best value: Brushed or Brushless merv?

I have a full size Summit and a 1/10 scale ST from another brand. I love my Summit, but sometimes I just want something quick and nimble that can jump and bash. Since my 1/10 scale frequently undergoes repairs... I'm looking for something small that i can use from time to time around our yard and in our street where my Summit doesn't really do the trick. I think a mini scale might fit that need?

In an all out comparison of performance between the two, the VXL is the clear winner. But for an RC that will essentially be my "side hustle", is there any reason to get the more expensive VXL over the brushed (~$80 depending on where you look)? IE, is the lower price merv still good value (can i still have fun with it)? I've heard the brushed merv can get warm on certain terrains, so i'm looking for general thoughts and any deal breakers. I'm leaning towards brushed, cause I figure I will still have plenty of fun with it. And even if I smoke a motor, replacement is only $25.

I was initially considering the mini summit as a better basher for my style, but wary due to the driveshaft issues (gonna post in the summit forum for that). Steer me in the right direction if i'm off!

RC Enthusiast
    I would say brushed. You mentioned getting your kid a slow rc in another thread and getting one as a back up as in here, I would combine the two. Buy a brushed one and look at a castle esc and "big block" brushedmotor. 540/550 brushed motors you can get fast 12 turns all the way to a slow but torquey 80 turn. Ive had the small vxl and they get too hot for my liking. Said motors are $10-25 each.

The slash would be my worry. Imo its to lpw and has too small of tires for offroading unless flat dirt. I would go with the summit mini revo or maybe even a stampede 2wd. Simple basic fun.

RC poster
    Go brushless that way the power is there when you want it. I started off with brushed, got bored with it really quick and ended up swapping for a 380. If it is for your kid you can keep it training mode until ready for full power.

RC poster
    Yeah, I should clarify by saying that this would be just for me. In my original post on the summit forum, I decided to just stick it out with my kids current RC. Chubaka, does that change your answer?

If you plan to upgrade your motor, the brushed may be the way to go since you can go “big block” with it.
    If not, get the brushless and enjoy.

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Go with VXL. Well worth the extra $80.

If only $ 80 to go brushless with a 380 motor. Way to go. As upgrading from brushed to brushless will cost more than that.

Or get a roller and put in what motor you want.

I went 380 in my used to me merv. It's a fun little car and a rocket on 3s. Can't imagine what it is on 3s or 4s with big bore. Definitely would need some upgrades to handle the power.

Bashes around ok on short grass 2in or less. Any taller and it struggles. Fun street car.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Go for the Brushless one - for start you can use the training mode, that calms it down a lot to get used to it.
    Normal mode it is already a beast, I also use it in 4s mode with LiPos, though not recommended in the description the ESC and the motor can take it - at least mine does...

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

VXL (brushless) it’s worth the extra $ and you if you get the merv you get TSM, a short antenna, a quieter motor, and a faster car. IMHO brushless is the best choice for minis my merv on NIMH is actually really fast and can beat my bandit in any race.
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Bandit XL-5 Just Gonna Send It!!

RC Enthusiast
    Go vxl. If it gets too hot then big block it. I live in jarassic park florida so the humidity makes it run a tad high for my liking 3/4 of a year so within short time I yanked the 380 and tossed in a 4450kv 550.

RC Enthusiast
    +1 VXL

I’ve owned both, and IMO the VXL is way better, for reasons others have stated above.