RC Qualifier

Vxl3s overheating

This is more of a gripe really. I just got a 4tec vxl and man this little car is fun! My first in road RC and so far I'm loving it. But I have a beef with traxxas. On stock gearing on 3s, you'd think his tiny car would be ok heat wise. It's the same system that comes in the slash 4x4 and other much heavier trucks. But no, the motor especially gets pretty hot. Bought the fan for the esc just to be safe and threw a heat sink on the motor. Why even make it 3s capable if everything overheats the minute you push it a bit? Yeah yeah, I know, gear it down bla bla bla, but dude, I was expecting it to do 50mph without having to mess with everything.

On that note, it doesn't look like a 3670 will fit without moving the esc, Has anyone tried?

The exact same "heat matter" exists when running 3S is the other vehicles containing the VXL system. This is not a "problem", so there's no reason to have a 'beef' work Traxxas.

First, area you running the stock pinion, or the included "speed" (ie. higher tooth-count) pinion? The "speed" pinion is great for running 2S, but NEVER run it on 3S (at least not work stock electronics...but, that's a different matter for another time). Second, if you read the threads, you'd notice that, when running 3S, people tend to drop the pinion tooth count by 1-2 teeth, as people know running 3S increased temps. Adding the ESC fan (which most people do) is a good start, as it WILL help to lower ESC temps. You should also consider adding a fan and/or heatsink to the motor, which will help keep the motor cooler.

Before 'complaining', it helps to search out possible solutions, as others have probably already experienced what you're experiencing (and, in this matter, that holds true)...and, in searching, you'll probably discover that someone have already been posted by others (again, this holds true).

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    If you read what I wrote you'd notice I said stock gearing not high speed. Also I think you misunderstood me a little bit. I have done my research and that's why I'm disappointed. I would have thought such a light vehicle would be fine on 3s but apparently not. I love the car but think if you're going to market it as doing 70mph then trying to get 50mph out of it shouldn't be asking too much without having to upgrade it. As always, it's just another opinion

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Now I guess a good question is would high-speed gears on 2s run cooler than stock gears on 3s?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk