Thread: Fan fix?

Fan fix?

Hello,
    Has anyone found a fan fix that works properly and doesnít sound like a jet engine?
    I found this that a lot of people are doing but is there anything quieter?
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/ProTek-RC-30...AAAOSwzDhe~nx6
    Also does that come with the bolts or do I need to get some from a hardware store?
    Thanks in advance
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Bandit XL-5 Just Gonna Send It!!

Those fans are pretty loud... I ran 3 of them on my 6S trucks for a while, 2 on the motor, 1 on the esc. Well, ones that look like them. They were from rcjuice and badged as hobbystar fans.

I recently found some 35mm ones from surpass that fit my esc's that are alloy framed. Plastic ones just don't hold up well to jumping.

Was really glad when I found these for my max6 esc's that use a 35x35x10 fan:
    https://surpasshobbyusa.net/35mm-fans/

I got mine from surpass on aliexpress when I found them a month ago. I asked surpass usa via email if they would get them on their site and they didn't have them yet at the time, but now they do, so I wouldn't have to wait as long.

I had to dremel a little out of the max6 esc housings, but otherwise, they fit pretty good. Wondering if they will fit the vxl 4s/6s/8s esc's. According to this, they all use the same 35x35x10 plastic fan:
    https://www.greathobbies.com/product...rod_id=TRX3475

I don't have any of those esc's, just the older MXL-6S and vxl-3s that I don't run anymore and are in a drawer... not even sure what size fans those use either. lol!

This is my ERBEv2, two of the 30mm on the powerhobby motor cooler:

One of the 35mm in the max6 esc:

The housing dremeled out:
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 02-26-2021 at 10:45 AM.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Racer
    Is the fix still required on the latest trucks or did Traxxas fix the issue?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I’m not 100% sure so that’s why I posted this.
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Bandit XL-5 Just Gonna Send It!!

RC Enthusiast
    My Maxx is in need of replacement fans for both the esc and motor. Anyone happen to know how the fan measurements are taken; mount hole to hole or outer edge to outer edge?

Any fan suggestions aside from the noisy one listed in post #1? Also kind of curious if the yeah racing Part#: YEA-YA-0576BK would fit on the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jjRC View Post
    My Maxx is in need of replacement fans for both the esc and motor. Anyone happen to know how the fan measurements are taken; mount hole to hole or outer edge to outer edge?

Any fan suggestions aside from the noisy one listed in post #1? Also kind of curious if the yeah racing Part#: YEA-YA-0576BK would fit on the motor.

Not sure about the ESC, but I replaced the fan and heatstink for the motor. I purchased this Yeah Racing Aluminum 7075 Fan Mount w/ YA-0327 40mm Tornado Fan for 540 Motor Black #YA-0526BK and it fits perfectly.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jjRC View Post

Its a 35 x 35 x 10 mm fan, measurements are the edge to edge measurements of the whole housing.

I found some cheap ones on Amazon, 2 for 10 bucks. They are basically the same as the originals. I figure I'm just going to keep a stock and change them every now and then. I don't think any fan is going to last long in there.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the inputs. I might go with a similar inexpensive fan route since heat has not been an issue. Iím made the mistake of buying a traxxas fan for the VXL 3s and after a couple runs I was left with an expensive mount with no fan attached. Cheap fans have held up much better. The Protek aluminum case looks like a nice option if the durability is there.

RC Champion
    I'll post my new fan set-up in a few days Its taken some time to figure out - Its a big upgrade for sure

RC poster
    Thanks Olds, looks good. Ill try it next time. bought Yeah racing fans, used them before on slash 4x4 with max 8.

RC Champion

These fans are so powerful , can run up to 12v too

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RJUK View Post
    Is the fix still required on the latest trucks or did Traxxas fix the issue?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    The latest version has been better , no need to upgrade until something happens to the stock one.
    The power hobby PHF35 is a direct replacement for the stock fan. I have it , and it spins a little faster too.

RC Enthusiast
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the ones I got from Amazon, 2 for 9 bucks. I fitted them last week to both the motor and the ESC and they fit perfectly and have the right connectors already. They are practically silent as well. They have held up to two heavy bashing sessions so far no problem.

RC Racer
    All the direct replacement fan floating around are so overpriced. Just look for a 30mm 5v DC fan.

Here is one for $3 https://www.adafruit.com/product/446...hoCOsMQAvD_BwE

For $3.50, this one looks like it even has the right connector.
    https://www.adafruit.com/product/3368

These use a little less than half the current of the one you posted. I don't know how much air is actually needed to keep things cool enough