Soon to be running talon 5.75” on Maxx

Since I’m not real crazy about my badlands from pro line because aside from being really soft rubber compound, the wheels and tires are a lot narrower than stock and since there is no sidewall protection at all and in just the short time of having those tires from regular light bashing around the house, I’ve already got some tears around the bead of the tires where they’re glued to the wheels so since I was pretty much unable to sell the five and three-quarter inch Traxxas talons that I had bought last April originally for my Revo 3.3, I decided to buy another set of the geode 3.8 wheels that have the optional bead protector and the deeper offset hubs to put those tires on and I’m just curious if a new pinion gear that was less a tooth or two would be wise decision since the Talons I’m going to use are a lot wider at just a smidge under 3/4ths of an inch but they’re only about a 1/4th of an inch taller than the stock Maxx tires. They also might be a tad bit heavier since they will have the bead protectors installed and last night I decided to try the taping trick and ran a strip of duct tape around the inside of the tires to help with ballooning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those will be some big tires!
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Bandit XL-5 Just Gonna Send It!!

Soon to be running talon 5.75” on Maxx

Quote Originally Posted by ThatTraxxas View Post
    Those will be some big tires!
    Egh, not really....lol. Well, wider, anyways but not so much taller. My talons are only 5.75” and the factory Maxx tires are 5.5”. My Proline Badlands MT tires are even taller than that, at 5.85 inches but they’re only 2.72 inches wide, tho. The factory Maxx tires are 2.8. My Talons I plan to use are 3.5” wide.

The truck actually did pretty good on the same wheels but with the Talon EXT tires that are much taller at 6.5 inches tall and a bit heavier due to them being speed rated for the tenth scale E Revo brushless VXL.

Last edited by corneileous; 02-26-2021 at 12:39 PM.

RC Champion
    Anyone try to thread corded fishing line thru the stock tires ? - They are not bad - they just balloon soooo much , I don't want to un glue them

Quote Originally Posted by Role View Post
    Anyone try to thread corded fishing line thru the stock tires ? - They are not bad - they just balloon soooo much , I don't want to un glue them
    Never heard of doing that. Seems to me like that wouldn’t be a very good idea because if you plan to run your car though any water, you’re supposed to put a piece of tape over the vent holes on the wheels to keep water out so I would think that by essentially poking a bunch of holes in your tires, you’re gonna be letting a bunch of water, dirt and whatever else in there that ain’t good for your tire foam inserts.

Soooo, anyone care to comment on whether I need to re-gear or not? Those stock Maxx tires are such junk and wobbly anymore that yesterday just for fun, I decided to pull my Revo 3.3 tires off and surprisingly enough, it handled them great. They were the same Geode 3.8 wheels with the optional bead protector that
    I’m going to be putting on there eventually but those have the 6.4 inch Talon EXTs.

RC Champion
    just use a bigger spur 54 vs 50

just use a bigger spur 54 vs 50
    So why a more-toothed spur gear over a lesser-tooth pinion gear? Just curious.

RC Champion
    Adds more torque and is easier to do than pinion imho

Adds more torque and is easier to do than pinion imho
    I thought going down in tooth count on the pinion gear did essentially the same thing as going up on the spur gear....

I guess the spur could be easier to deal with but then again, you have the slipper clutch to deal with as well....

RC Champion
    The smaller pinion does the same thing but the spur is really easy to change on this truck , to each his own , this truck has no slipper clutch just the cush drive rubber thingy

The smaller pinion does the same thing but the spur is really easy to change on this truck , to each his own , this truck has no slipper clutch just the cush drive rubber thingy
    There’s no slipper clutch? Hmm. I guess I may just have to try that 54-T spur.

So is it better to go with another plastic spur gear or should I upgrade to steel?

RC Champion
    stick with plastic , you need something to wear or break , and they are cheap too

RC Champion
    Well, I was wrong about just going with a bigger spur gear , it seems it will not just fit with the stock pinion , you would have to go down a few teeth on the pinion to get the larger spur to fit, you would need a 22t pinion for the 54 spur to fit , look at the chart for gearing in the manual, sorry for the confusion, I forgot I went down to the 46t spur
    Last edited by Role; 03-05-2021 at 04:04 AM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Soooo, anyone care to comment on whether I need to re-gear or not? Those stock Maxx tires are such junk and wobbly anymore that yesterday just for fun, I decided to pull my Revo 3.3 tires off and surprisingly enough, it handled them great. They were the same Geode 3.8 wheels with the optional bead protector that
    I’m going to be putting on there eventually but those have the 6.4 inch Talon EXTs.

Use math

C=2*pi*r

Using the stock diameter of 5.5 vs 5.75,
    17.27=3.14*5.5
    18.06=3.14*5.75

New ratio is 1.05x so basically no. Tire weight could play into it but I wouldn't worry too much.

Quote Originally Posted by jea View Post
    Use math

C=2*pi*r

Using the stock diameter of 5.5 vs 5.75,
    17.27=3.14*5.5
    18.06=3.14*5.75

New ratio is 1.05x so basically no. Tire weight could play into it but I wouldn't worry too much.
    I suck at math....lol.

But thank you, that’s kinda what I figured. I don’t reckon gears need to be messed with.