RC poster

Best Gearing Setup w/ Mamba Max Pro and 2400 kv Motor

Just getting back into the hobby after a 6 year break.

I want to get my slash 4x4 lcg truck going again and forgot most of what i had previously learned.

I have the MMP with Castle 2400 kv motor.

What gearing setup should i use?
    Best for all around?
    Best for speed?
    Best to just set it and forget it?

What other upgrades are needed to run 4s lipo's without any problems?
    (I remember that i already upgraded the driveshafts to Tekno)

Thanks in advance...

I'd suggest gearing something along the lines of 18/54 and going from there. Although the Mamba Max Pro can handle all the way up to 6s, it's a pretty small ESC and the Slash 4x4 is a pretty heavy vehicle. Avoid the temptation to overgear, especially on 4s, or you are going to be hitting thermal shutdown on the ESC frequently.

I got a MMP + Castle 2400kv motor combo back in 2011 for my Stampede 4x4. I eventually replaced the 2400kv motor with a different 2400kv motor after the shaft snapped. I still use the MMP with the new motor in one of my Stampede 4x4s to this day. To stop hitting thermal shutdown, I eventually tore off the case, removed the tiny heatsink and tiny fan and replaced them with a much larger heatsink and fan, even mounted it on top of my steering servo so it would get more airflow. That pretty much solved the problem, but was not really a very elegant solution. Long term, if you want to use 4s, you might look at picking up an 8th scale ESC. The Castle "Sidewinder 8th" ESC can be found for a reasonable price.

Stock heatsink sitting in front for comparison:
    Last edited by GotNoRice; 02-26-2021 at 09:00 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    I'd suggest gearing something along the lines of 18/54 and going from there. Although the Mamba Max Pro can handle all the way up to 6s, it's a pretty small ESC and the Slash 4x4 is a pretty heavy vehicle. Avoid the temptation to overgear, especially on 4s, or you are going to be hitting thermal shutdown on the ESC frequently.

I got a MMP + Castle 2400kv motor combo back in 2011 for my Stampede 4x4. I eventually replaced the 2400kv motor with a different 2400kv motor after the shaft snapped. I still use the MMP with the new motor in one of my Stampede 4x4s to this day. To stop hitting thermal shutdown, I eventually tore off the case, removed the tiny heatsink and tiny fan and replaced them with a much larger heatsink and fan, even mounted it on top of my steering servo so it would get more airflow. That pretty much solved the problem, but was not really a very elegant solution. Long term, if you want to use 4s, you might look at picking up an 8th scale ESC. The Castle "Sidewinder 8th" ESC can be found for a reasonable price.

Stock heatsink sitting in front for comparison:
    Great info.

Will the Castle Sidewinder 8th ESC fit without any modifications?
    And will it work fine with the 2400 kv motor?

Quote Originally Posted by goceltics34 View Post
    Great info.

Will the Castle Sidewinder 8th ESC fit without any modifications?
    And will it work fine with the 2400 kv motor?
    I use a Castle Mamba Monster X in my Slash 4x4 Monster Truck, which is at least as big as the Sidewinder 8th. I was able to do that by re-locating the receiver box to the alternate mounting location up front. That was with the older HCG chassis though, I don't actually know if you can also do that with the LCG chassis. The Sidewinder 8th (and other Castle 8th scale ESCs) use 6.5mm bullet connectors for the motor wires, whereas the Castle 2400kv 1415 motor uses 4mm bullets. You will need adapters such as these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274474999501 Aside from that the ESC and motor are fully compatible.
    Last edited by GotNoRice; 02-26-2021 at 09:22 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    I use a Castle Mamba Monster X in my Slash 4x4 Monster Truck, which is at least as big as the Sidewinder 8th. I was able to do that by re-locating the receiver box to the alternate mounting location up front. That was with the older HCG chassis though, I don't actually know if you can also do that with the LCG chassis. The Sidewinder 8th (and other Castle 8th scale ESCs) use 6.5mm bullet connectors for the motor wires, whereas the Castle 2400kv 1415 motor uses 4mm bullets. You will need adapters such as these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274474999501 Aside from that the ESC and motor are fully compatible.
    Awesome.

Thanks for the help.

My father still has his truck that I built in 2011 that has the Mamba Max Pro and 2400kv motor! I believe it is geared 18/54.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    My father still has his truck that I built in 2011 that has the Mamba Max Pro and 2400kv motor! I believe it is geared 18/54.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    What kind of speed can i expect from that gearing?
    Any fear of overheating?

Thanks