Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Best oil weights for Widemaxx?

Hi folks, I'm taking my new Maxx out for a run today, then going to do the Widemaxx conversion later.

I have 50wt oil for the rear shocks as per the instructions, but there seems to be some suggestion online that this setup light be too soft.

Is there a general consensus on the best shock oil weights to use in conjunction with the Widemaxx kit?

Thanks

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    80w all around works great

RC Racer
    I saw that's what Earl Motorhead did, but that was in very warm weather (80f). It's generally not that warm here, so I was wondering if a lower weight might be better?

Also, everyone seems to do it to avoid chassis slap, but aren't the trucks designed to chassis slap on big jumps to dissipate the shock, rather than having it all concentrated on the suspension?

RC Racer
    I did 50 in front 70 in rear. I am happy. 80 is to stiff unless all you are doing is jumps.

RC Enthusiast
    Depends on the type bashing. Mine is mostly pavement, grass, dirt, gravel, and smaller jumps. I have 40wt in the front & 60wt in rear.

RC Racer
    Thanks guys. I suspect a lighter weight would be fine for me. I have 40 and 50 weight, but light get some 60 as well before I install the Widemaxx kit.

I took the Maxx out for the first time today and it rolled over a lot, so the Widemaxx kit should hopefully really help that.

I also noticed the servo didn't seem that strong. With the truck stood still it sometimes struggled to turn the wheels and always seemed to struggle to centre them after turning.

Whilst moving it was fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hghlndr View Post
    I did 50 in front 70 in rear. I am happy. 80 is to stiff unless all you are doing is jumps.
    Agreed. I think this is the perfect setup. It will still chassis slap a little depending on how low you run your shock collars, but it's the way it should be set IMO.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Racer
    What sort of temps are you guys running in?

Of course, the higher weight you use the more forces are put through the shocks and chassis. It's supposed to chassis slap, although I would agree that too much slap will be just as (if not more) detrimental because it could damage the electronics etc.

How are people finding the off-road capabilities of the truck with 50/70 in?

RC Racer
    It is winter here but i am happy with it. Rear is firm but still forgiving and front still absorbs bumps and handles nice.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    Agreed. I think this is the perfect setup. It will still chassis slap a little depending on how low you run your shock collars, but it's the way it should be set IMO.
    After putting my widemaxx kit on, I just followed the directions on shock oils so I really canít remember what I have it set to but I think this weekend, Iím gonna pull my shocks off and try that 70 in the rear and 50 in front and see how it does. Iím not in to jumping any rc as high as ive seen a lot of people jump theirs, but by my house, I do have somewhat of a jump in the terrain that if I hit it fast enough, I could get about 4, maybe 5 feet of air but thatís it.

Iím also interested in trying what you said on one of your videos where you recommended putting the lower shock mounts in the holes closer to the wheels on the front to see how that does.

I dunno, I think a lot of this excessive chassis slap is from those tiny tires Traxxas put on these things. That, and that thereís no shock absorption since the view of the wheel and tire from the backside makes the tires look like very low pro rubber band wheels on a lowrider....lol.

Other than kind of making it a little more top heavy, my Maxx seems to do a little better at absorbing jumps with my Proline badlands 5.85x2.72 tires but it really seems to like the tires and wheels I bought for my Revo 3.3 which are the Traxxas 3.8 Geode wheels with bead protectors and the talon ext tires they put on the e-revo 2.0. I havenít changed the pinion or the spur gear yet because what I ultimately plan to run full time for tires on my Maxx is another set of those geode wheels that have the optional bead protectors but with the smaller 5.75 inch Traxxas Talons and the 5.75 inch chevron TMaxx tires. I do plan to run my badlands too, but since those things seem to be a little sensitive to asphalt and hard surfaces, Iím going to try to only run those on dirt or sand since I hate to prematurely ruin a hundred dollars worth of wheels and tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    According to traxxas, 30 front 50 rear

Read the directions... Traxxas had done a ton of work developing this kit. I'm not saying don't stray from the recommendation, but when doing so, are you sure you're not just making things worse?

Suspension Tuning
    1. Remove the two front and two rear shocks from the truck.
    2. Remove the shock springs from all four shocks. Install the rear
    shock springs on the front shocks. The front springs are not
    used with the Wide Maxx suspension.
    3. Install the new shock springs (included) on the rear shocks.
    4. For optimal suspension performance, replace the 30wt silicone shock oil in
    the rear shocks with 50wt silicone shock oil (part #5034, sold separately). Be
    sure to fill the shocks with 100% pure silicone shock oil to help prolong the
    life of the seals. When adding shock oil, be sure to allow any air bubbles to
    escape. Note: The rear shocks use the 1.2mm shock piston.
    5. Reinstall the front and rear shocks on the truck.

I think as per Razor RC, Iím just gonna leave mine as it is with the 50w in back and 30w in front. So far itís fine.

Iím just more interested in the center diff weight oil. I watched a video of that Razor RC guy but I donít know what he means when he says to put some 2k weight in after scraping some of that putty out.

Last edited by corneileous; 03-06-2021 at 10:05 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jea View Post
    According to traxxas, 30 front 50 rear

Read the directions... Traxxas had done a ton of work developing this kit. I'm not saying don't stray from the recommendation, but when doing so, are you sure you're not just making things worse?
    Sure, I'm aware of what the instructions say. That's what I have it set at, but with the new springs up front there's no real damping from the 30wt oil. It just pops back up.

Last night I chucked some 40wt in there, so will see what that does.

Also, the weight of the oil will depend on what you're doing with the truck and the climate you're using it in. Those who do lots of big jumps tend to use thicker oil. Same if you live in a warm climate.

There's no one size fits all, and many think Traxxas' recommendation is under-damped.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    I think as per Razor RC, Iím just gonna leave mine as it is with the 50w in back and 30w in front. So far itís fine.

Iím just more interested in the center diff weight oil. I watched a video of that Razor RC guy but I donít know what he means when he says to put some 2k weight in after scraping some of that putty out.

Razor said he thinks the perfect set up is 50wt front, 70wt rear.

Personally, I think that might be a bit too thick. With 50wt in the rear it's already quite slow to rebound. It is pretty cold here at the moment though, so in a warm climate it might be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by RJUK View Post

Personally, I think that might be a bit too thick. With 50wt in the rear it's already quite slow to rebound. It is pretty cold here at the moment though, so in a warm climate it might be perfect.

Where did he say that? Originally he said in he video I watched that if you plan to do some serious jumps then 70-rear and 50-front was preferred.

Before I found out that the piece that the upper right side A-arm attaches to was broke off my rear bulkhead, for the driving I do, 50-rear and 30-front seems about right.

I just upgraded mine also, changed to 50wt all around we will see what happens.

RC Competitor
    I have losi 70w front and 80w rear ,it seems to be about perfect imo.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD@_FL View Post
    I have losi 70w front and 80w rear ,it seems to be about perfect imo.
    But do you do a lot of heavy duty jumping? Seems to me the general consensus says that heavy of shock oil weight is way overkill if your truck stays on the ground rather than flying over it. Lol.

RC Racer
    Where did he say that? Originally he said in he video I watched that if you plan to do some serious jumps then 70-rear and 50-front was preferred.

Before I found out that the piece that the upper right side A-arm attaches to was broke off my rear bulkhead, for the driving I do, 50-rear and 30-front seems about right.

Not sure what you're saying. You seem to be agreeing with me...

Not sure what you're saying. You seem to be agreeing with me...

Well, I am agreeing with you but in this video below:

https://youtu.be/QcCWDo4y_v4

.....he recommends basically what you and I agree on so Iím just wondering where you got him saying the stuff we think is much too thick unless youíre referring to what he said about heavy duty bashing with major and high-flying jumps.

Post #7 .

As with any question about diff fluid or shock fluid, everyone has their opinion as to what they prefer based upon the desired performance from the truck. No two people are going to be the same, so best to take what the manufacturer recommends and the general consensus of what is here and use it as a base point. Then switch out springs and fluid to get what you want out of the truck. Argue facts instead of opinions.
    Last edited by Double G; 03-07-2021 at 12:43 PM.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Post #7 .

As with any question about diff fluid or shock fluid, everyone has their opinion as to what they prefer based upon the desired performance from the truck. No two people are going to be the same, so best to take what the manufacturer recommends and the general consensus of what is here and use it as a base point. Then switch out springs and fluid to get what you want out of the truck. Argue facts instead of opinions.
    Ok so I missed that, thank you very much for pointing that out but the ďfactĒ still remains that in that video of his...[RazorRC] that I posted, said that he recommended 40-45w in the rear and the stock 30w up front. Thatís all I was doing but whatever the case, thatís all I was telling RJUK which it sounds like me and him agree that 70wR/50wF is a little much unless youíre doing some hardcore jumping.

And I realize not everybody will have the same opinion on shock/differential oil weights but unfortunately, most people donít say why they use or recommend what their opinion is so you gotta figure it out by yourself but at least when they do, it sure makes it easier to make your own decision for yourself. Not everybody has the knowledge some people have and that makes it difficult to figure out your own preference so, thatís what makes these discussions so important.

Last edited by corneileous; 03-07-2021 at 01:08 PM.

RC Racer
    Yeah, that's why I'm asking. One would assume that Traxxas put more effort/money into working out the best weights, but then I fitted the Widemaxx kit and the front just "pops" straight up with 30wt in it. Not very damped at all.

Still seemed fine in the park though, but logically, adding longer arms and putting a stiffer spring up front you'd think that you'd need to increase the damping a bit.

For now I've put 40 up front and stuck with the recommended 50 in the rear. I'll run that when I next go out and see what happens.

At the moment I'm just running in the park on flattish grass though, so yeah, if you're doing lots of jumping you'll likely want it firmer.

Adding thick oil and doing hard landings on the suspension will put a lot of force through it though, so in some ways leaving it looser might be better, as the chassis slap takes some of the shock.

Yeah, that's why I'm asking. One would assume that Traxxas put more effort/money into working out the best weights, but then I fitted the Widemaxx kit and the front just "pops" straight up with 30wt in it. Not very damped at all.

Still seemed fine in the park though, but logically, adding longer arms and putting a stiffer spring up front you'd think that you'd need to increase the damping a bit.

For now I've put 40 up front and stuck with the recommended 50 in the rear. I'll run that when I next go out and see what happens.

At the moment I'm just running in the park on flattish grass though, so yeah, if you're doing lots of jumping you'll likely want it firmer.

Adding thick oil and doing hard landings on the suspension will put a lot of force through it though, so in some ways leaving it looser might be better, as the chassis slap takes some of the shock.

Itís kind of a give and take because of your suspension is too soft and you get a lot of chassis slap, that is eventually gonna break your chassis in half but too firm of suspension could blow out shock caps, bend shock rods and just cause a lot of unnecessary bounce and hurt traction over loose, bumpy terrain.

Ok so I missed that, thank you very much for pointing that out but the “fact” still remains that in that video of his...[RazorRC] that I posted, said that he recommended 40-45w in the rear and the stock 30w up front. That’s all I was doing but whatever the case, that’s all I was telling RJUK which it sounds like me and him agree that 70wR/50wF is a little much unless you’re doing some hardcore jumping.

And I realize not everybody will have the same opinion on shock/differential oil weights but unfortunately, most people don’t say why they use or recommend what their opinion is so you gotta figure it out by yourself but at least when they do, it sure makes it easier to make your own decision for yourself. Not everybody has the knowledge some people have and that makes it difficult to figure out your own preference so, that’s what makes these discussions so important.

Not sure if this was clear, but with stock suspension I was running 30wt front, 40-50wt rear. With WideMaxx kit I went to 50wt front, 70wt rear. Depends on how heavy your battery is and where you position it IMO.

With the WideMaxx kit you need to go about 50% thicker fluid.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

Not sure if this was clear, but with stock suspension I was running 30wt front, 40-50wt rear. With WideMaxx kit I went to 50wt front, 70wt rear. Depends on how heavy your battery is and where you position it IMO.

With the WideMaxx kit you need to go about 50% thicker fluid.
    Ahhh.... I guess I hadnít seen the video for after when you put your widemaxx kit on.

I use the the Traxxas 2889x-the 5,000 mah 4-cell 14.8v Lipo which takes up every bit of the battery bay so I have no idea if that constitutes as a heavy battery or not but since itís cleared up that the setup Iím currently using which is what you were using with the stock swing arms, I might consider jumping up to 70w in the rear and 50w up front but I dunno, it kinda seems fine where it is even with the widemaxx kit but then again, it seems like it does chassis-slap a little bit on this one place I jump it at here at the house. All it is, is a transition in the land where one piece of ground is about 4 feet higher than the one below it that has kind of a ski-slope to it. I donít try to jump it really high when Iím going from the lower level of ground up to the higher level of ground but when Iím coming back, Iíve gotten pretty good at hitting the drop off fast enough to where I clear the slope completely without nosediving it or having it to where it hits the ground rear-bumper first, then cartwheeling about nine times.....lol but since itís on a grassy yard, I canít really tell if the undercarriage is actually hitting the ground or if the suspension is absorbing it all, and this is whether I run the stock tires or if I run my 5.75Ē Traxxas Talons that are a little taller and wider.

Did you leave your rear rod ends on your shocks turned out longer by that one and a quarter turn? Are you still running the rod ends of your front shocks in the outer mount holes closer to the wheels?

Hopefully my new rear bulkhead, drive shaft and gear grease will be here by Wednesday so I can get mine back up and running.

Last edited by corneileous; 03-07-2021 at 10:34 PM.

RC Competitor
    But do you do a lot of heavy duty jumping? Seems to me the general consensus says that heavy of shock oil weight is way overkill if your truck stays on the ground rather than flying over it. Lol.

A little bit up jumping , it handles small bumps and whoops just fine though , still turns on a dime.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD@_FL View Post
    A little bit up jumping , it handles small bumps and whoops just fine though , still turns on a dime.
    Hmm. I still think Iím just gonna try 70w in the back and 50w in the front. Maybe Iím wrong but widemaxx kit or not, 80w-rear and 70w-front just seems a bit excessive to me unless youíre doing some heavy duty jumps.

RC Racer
    I agree, I'd keep it as low as possible as you can for your uses.

People in warmer climates might want higher weights though.

That said, Traxxas recommend 30/50 and they're in Texas...

I agree, I'd keep it as low as possible as you can for your uses.

People in warmer climates might want higher weights though.

That said, Traxxas recommend 30/50 and they're in Texas...

Thatís true but after watching a video on YouTube, somebody made a video that part of it kind of talked about the validity of whether or not when Traxxas makes their demonstration videos for their RC Ďs, if theyíre actually doing that with a car that comes factory straight out of the box, or if theyíve done something else to it that theyíre not telling us.

RC Champion
    Well guys I went a little crazy and put 80w oil in all four shocks , I tried it for about 1 month , Was just too bouncy, Im happy with 30w in front and 40w in rear , I have a light weight battery

RC Racer
    Is this with Widemaxx kit? Seems like they would be very soft. Even Traxxas say 30/50.

RC Champion
    Yes that is with da wide kit

RC Racer
    50 front 70 rear is where it's at. I have settled on that after extensive testing from 30-80 weight.

50 front 70 rear is where it's at. I have settled on that after extensive testing from 30-80 weight.
    Unless I missed it somewhere but do you run those oil weights with the widemaxx kit or without?

Since I never got an answer about substituting 2k diff oil for 30k diff oil in the center diff after scraping some of that putty out, I just ended up removing about 5 small tiny portions that were about the size of a small ladybug of that thick stuff with a precision slotted screwdriver and squeezed about maybe a quarter, to almost half of a coke bottle cap worth of the 30k in and put it all back together so weíll see this afternoon if it really changed anything.

RC Champion
    Da wide maxx

RC Racer
    I run da wide maxx

RC poster
    Hi Guys. Appreciate all the info on this thread.

My buddy and I both have wide kits with med-heavy batteries (6700mah). We are getting into the summer here in Ohio so temps will be in the 70s roughly. Currently running stock shock oil (which I'm told is 30wt all around).

We're looking to reduce chassis slap because we take these to the skate park about once a month and also take them on smaller jump between skate park runs. After reading this thread i'm leaning towards 50 front and 70 rear.

Here is my question: is it worth changing the springs too? Maybe stiffen these up a bit? We wouldn't mind a little more ground clearance and i figured it would help that too. Just not familiar with the relationship of oil and shock stiffness.

RC Champion
    I'm not sure who makes new springs , that would be an option for sure

RC Racer
    Or you could just adjust the preload by tightening the shock collars down...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast