RC poster

Slash 4x4 shock question

Hello, I would like to get everybodyís opinions on their slash 4x4 shock oil weights?
    Recently had a shock blow and Iím rebuilding. The main activity with it would be light to medium bashing and some jumps, so I would prefer it to be slightly stiffer than stock. And while Iím on the subject, what about piston caps? 1, 2, or 3 hole? Thank you
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Slash 1/16

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher315 View Post
    Hello, I would like to get everybody’s opinions on their slash 4x4 shock oil weights?
    Recently had a shock blow and I’m rebuilding. The main activity with it would be light to medium bashing and some jumps, so I would prefer it to be slightly stiffer than stock. And while I’m on the subject, what about piston caps? 1, 2, or 3 hole? Thank you
    Stick with two hole for now. Too many changes isn’t good.
    Besides at some point 3 hole with thicker oil equals 2 hole with medium oil equals 1 hole with thin oil...
    I don’t think going up 5 points in weight of oil makes much difference. I use 45, 60 and 75.
    You may choose to go by 10’s, 40-50 being what I usually see suggested here. 30wt stock is too light.

I run 2 hole pistons 30W front, 35W rear on my Slash 2wd, but I never jump it or anything like that.

I think it is a good idea to go with 3 holes and thicker oil because the dampening action is more consistent and is easier on the shocks.

1 hole pistons dampen by building pressure since all the oil is trying to flow through one hole. Since pressure changes during dampening, the shock has high resistance upon impact (due to force), and lower resistance after impact (since the energy from the original force has been already dissipated).

3 hole pistons dampen by dissipating energy mainly through internal friction of the high viscosity oil, which is why the dampening resistance overall remains pretty consistent.

Hope this helps!
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

If you stray more than 30+/- it is highly suggested to change spring rates accordingly. Stiffer for thicker and softer for thinner. If the dampening is not in sync with the spring rate results become unpredictable and unstable. The suspension can actually work against itself if those get too far out-of-wak. Progressive springs have a wider range of compatible oil weights than non-progressive springs so take that into account also.

This is one area of the hobby that really has that "get the feel of" experience needed over time. To figure it out. There are no reliable charts or graphs to reference for help. Good luck tho.

RC poster
    Thank you all for the great info!

@fortunespoonz I definitely agree, changing a whole bunch of variables might not be the best idea.

@rcwilly good point on the 3 hole thicker oil. It makes sense that there would be less force on the piston (at least not directly)

@zedorda I didnít think about the springs needing adjusted in accordance with the oil. Thank you for mentioning that.

I think Iíll probably go with 40wt front and 45 or 50wt rear and keep the 2 hole caps. I also saw on another thread that the aluminum shock caps donít have as bad of a problem with leaking, so I may do that as well. Again, thank you guys for the great info.

If you switch to GTRs you can get the Revo Variable tuning kit. That will allow you to change piston hole size as well as adding a flap which can change compression/rebound rates.There are a few sets of pistons to allow you to experiment with hole size. Flap position,piston hole size,oil weight and spring rate allows almost infinite tuning possibilities.

I have a big heavy rig running 1/16" holes,flap on top/60 weight oil and VG racing springs. Works great!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

^what he said... except mine also had 80wt in all 4 corners!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Great tip! Do you have to disassemble the shock to change it?

@squeegie I think that might be the heaviest wt oil Iíve seen anybody use!

Would it help to make the rear slightly stiffer than the front or does it really matter?

Great tip! Do you have to disassemble the shock to change it?

@squeegie I think that might be the heaviest wt oil I’ve seen anybody use!

Would it help to make the rear slightly stiffer than the front or does it really matter?
    To replace the oil, you need to unscrew the shock cap. For the springs, you just need to take off the spring retainer (compress the spring, slide the retainer up the shaft and pull it out).

RC Qualifier
    Im probably going heavier oil in the rear this year. The rig bounces a bit in the rear, so more damping.
    To keep it simple, start with all 4 the same for your first change and go from there...
    Last edited by fortunespoonz; 02-28-2021 at 01:54 PM.

RC poster
    @rcwilly sorry for the misunderstanding I was wondering if you had to disassemble the gtr shocks to change the hole size

Yeah I think I probably will go with the same wt on all 4. Is one bottle enough to change out all 4?

@rcwilly sorry for the misunderstanding I was wondering if you had to disassemble the gtr shocks to change the hole size

Yeah I think I probably will go with the same wt on all 4. Is one bottle enough to change out all 4?
    You do disassemble to get to the shock piston...it's part of 7463 in this exploded view. The Revo kit gives a few pistons(with holes to small for a Slash) experiment with a drill bit to find what works for your rig/terrain/driving style. 1/16" is a good place to start for a Slash. Remember this is for GTR shocks(stock on the Ultimate) not Big Bores or Ultras.

https://traxxas.com/explodedviews/Sl...-Rear-Assembly
    Last edited by Dcuda69; 02-28-2021 at 09:59 PM.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    Just going to point out that your shock spring/oil/piston setup will vary based upon how you have your truck built out. Heavier trucks will require thicker oil and springs. Always get your rig built out and then attack the suspension last or it will need to be changed for further upgrades.

For mine, which is a medium weight build (heavier than stock, not as heavy as some though), I put the rear shock tower and shocks on the front (so same GTR shock size on front and back). Used double blue traxxas gtr springs, and 50wt oil all around. I adjusted ride height to have flat a-arms when at rest (ie dropped and watched where it came back up to) in both front and back. And I have front/rear sway bars.

For me, this gives the best handling and landing from jumps.

RC poster
    Sorry for not replying sooner,

@Dcuda69 Thank you thatís great to know if I ever do upgrade shocks.

@halygon Yes thatís a good point mine is close to stock except minor changes (for example, heavy duty slipper clutch). Do you happen to know off the top of your head if switching the shock towers on the ultimate would work the same on the 4x4/4x4VXL? I like the idea of increased durability. Also, sorry if this is a common question but what do the sway bars do on the slash? Iím not familiar with how they work.

Off subject, but I recently I realized that I was recording the jump that I broke the shock on and didnít know the shock broke and kept driving for a little bit and drove it back and up the hill came my limping slash, lol

@Dcuda69 Thank you that’s great to know if I ever do upgrade shocks.

@halygon Yes that’s a good point mine is close to stock except minor changes (for example, heavy duty slipper clutch). Do you happen to know off the top of your head if switching the shock towers on the ultimate would work the same on the 4x4/4x4VXL? I like the idea of increased durability. Also, sorry if this is a common question but what do the sway bars do on the slash? I’m not familiar with how they work.

Off subject, but I recently I realized that I was recording the jump that I broke the shock on and didn’t know the shock broke and kept driving for a little bit and drove it back and up the hill came my limping slash, lol
    The Ultimate and VXL trims both have the same shock towers, so it will work. Also, I have installed rear shocks on the front as well on my Slash 4x4.

As for the sway bars, it makes the car more stable when cornering. When the car turns, the car leans towards the outer side, which compresses the suspension on that side. If the car is going fast enough, it will flip. Sway bars connect the left and right suspension together, so that when one side compresses when turning, the other side compresses as well, which lowers the car instead, providing more stability (the car will still be able to flip, but will be much harder to):

RC Competitor
    What a great thread! So much good common sense information in such a short read. Even after all the reading I've done on this forum, I still learned a lot just from this short thread. Thanks guys, for the questions and answers.

RC poster
    Honestly I went with the Proline Power Stroke dual spring 2 stage shocks and the extra spring kit that's available tuning is limitless, also losi sells shock oils very fair currently I run red top spring the yellow springs from the kit on the front red(firm) on the top rear and green (medium soft) on the rear lower spring I bash jump at the skatepark near my house and also a large outdoor track under I5 near my place that's pretty great no suspension issues since the upgrade. "Sidenote I know they are expensive but upgrading once instead of over and over seems worth it all day. Also with the 4x4 I would definitely grab the Traxxas splined C.V. axles I haven't broken one since the upgrade. Again spendy but worth knowing they won't break from a 15ft jump or a funky landing. I absolutely love my slash after many headaches I finally feel I got a sturdy big boy toy lol

RC poster
    All your sway bars are supposed to face left the line in the threads for the little wrench should always go to the left if the vehicle is facing forward in front of you . This small info really helped me dial in my own suspension.

RC Competitor
    Hey, I have gtr shocks and feel the need for a change of pistons and bought these TRA5461, but apparently they are for the revos even though they said compatible with X01 which has the same shocks. Has anyone ever used these before and if so how'd they work?

Read posts 6 & 7 above.

I always keep the stock oil weight. I tune the springs to get my desired performance
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx. D View Post
    Hey, I have gtr shocks and feel the need for a change of pistons and bought these TRA5461, but apparently they are for the revos even though they said compatible with X01 which has the same shocks. Has anyone ever used these before and if so how'd they work?
    Like Squeegie said...read my post above. That is the variable tuning kit I mentioned. Works great with your GTRs! Have fun!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier

@Dcuda69 Thank you that’s great to know if I ever do upgrade shocks.

@halygon Yes that’s a good point mine is close to stock except minor changes (for example, heavy duty slipper clutch). Do you happen to know off the top of your head if switching the shock towers on the ultimate would work the same on the 4x4/4x4VXL? I like the idea of increased durability. Also, sorry if this is a common question but what do the sway bars do on the slash? I’m not familiar with how they work.

Off subject, but I recently I realized that I was recording the jump that I broke the shock on and didn’t know the shock broke and kept driving for a little bit and drove it back and up the hill came my limping slash, lol
    Yeah you can put rear shock tower on the front of any slash. You have to modify the tower slightly to fit, but you can do it fairly easily. You do need rear shocks to put on the front.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for all the info, two questions. It seems like everyone likes the 1/16 pistons but I have a stampede 4x4 which weighs roughly what it did new and probably a bit lighter than the slashes you guys have, what piston size would you recommend in this case.

Also, how do you like having the xx long shocks up front? I find that intended sized shocks in the front are just too short for my liking but people say that this mod could compromise durability, how has it been for you?

Thanks for all the info, two questions. It seems like everyone likes the 1/16 pistons but I have a stampede 4x4 which weighs roughly what it did new and probably a bit lighter than the slashes you guys have, what piston size would you recommend in this case.

Also, how do you like having the xx long shocks up front? I find that intended sized shocks in the front are just too short for my liking but people say that this mod could compromise durability, how has it been for you?
    My Slash 4x4 is pretty light (no roll-cages or anything), and I am just using the standard piston size that came with the GTR (did not try other hole sizes yet).

As for longer shocks on the front, here is a video I made about it a couple of months back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Zz2TfhW8U&t=6s

In terms of durability, I didn't have any issues, but I never really drive my cars hard or jump them.

Hope this helps!

RC Qualifier

I haven't had any issues with durability. I was afraid at first that removing the plastic for the sway bars would compromise the front shock tower, but it hasn't that I can tell. I bought a second rear shock tower and modified it for the front as a back-up though.

Assuming GTRs on the Stampede? That kit come with multiple pistons for you to experiment. Start at 1/16 and move up a 1/32nd at a time. Once you feel you're close(suspension reacts to your liking) start playing with oil weights. You'll find what works for you.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Competitor
    Ya I have GTR shocks sorry for the confusion and thanks for the advice, does anyone have the Tekno M6 driveshafts up front? I've heard that when the suspension travels too much they pop out, does anyone who owns these have that problem?

RC Competitor
    I just opened up the piston pack for GTR shocks and quickly realized that none of the holes are 1/16 so i'm assuming you drilled them out right? With my truck I like to jump it and take it to the local off road track with large size jumps, what springs/oil combination would you suggest I start with keep in mind I'm thinking of buying another pair of xx long shocks and putting them up front for more travel. Thank you guys so much!

Read post 6 & 7. Those pistons are setup for a Revo(heavy). Get yourself some drill bits....grab a set of pistons and drill the holes to 1/16". Put the flap on top(read instructions). Install springs of your choice(I use VG racing, Google search) and oil of your choice (I use 60wt, Squeegie is using 80wt) Every rig is different, every driver is different, every terrain is different. You have to experiment to find what works for you. You can change hole size, you can change springs, you can change oil weight. What works for me may not work at all for you. 1/2 the fun is experimenting.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

^What he said.

Test test test...

Have fun!

RC Competitor
    Terrain is key with oil weight and spring rate. Iím setting up a slash 4x4 to be ran on the beach this summer. I want my suspension to be soft to handle the sand. Will be a lot of testing. I have another slash 4x4 set up stiff suspension for higher traction surfaces. I donít use more then 50wt oil 2hole position. I still have plastic ultra shocks they leak and Iím always rebuilding them. GTR are coming with a variable dampening kit. I hate when Iím bashing and my truck is bouncing all over the place. Makes it hard to control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk