Results 1 to 32 of 32
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    21

    Not reversing on low gear

    Not reversing on low gear and just makes an odd noise.. Car also starts going slow after about half hour. I tried to figure out the problem myself but I'm new enough to this stuff
    Last edited by hughodonnell06; 02-27-2021 at 02:12 PM.

  2. #2
    RC Champion RCWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    California Bay Area
    Posts
    1,327
    Does it reverse on high gear?
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

  3. #3
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    21
    Yes it does.

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    8,252
    Sounds like a gear alignment issue. Make sure your shift servo is actually shifting your transmission into low.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  5. #5
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Sounds like a gear alignment issue. Make sure your shift servo is actually shifting your transmission into low.
    I think it is shifting it into low.

  6. #6
    RC Champion RCWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    California Bay Area
    Posts
    1,327
    Quote Originally Posted by hughodonnell06 View Post
    I think it is shifting it into low.
    To check if it is shifting, see if the servo has pulled the shifter all the way.

    You can also remove the motor to see if it reverses without any load.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

  7. #7
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    To check if it is shifting, see if the servo has pulled the shifter all the way.

    You can also remove the motor to see if it reverses without any load.
    It is pulling it back all the way.

    I'm quite sure there's nothing wrong with the motor because I only got it two days ago

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    8,252
    Quote Originally Posted by hughodonnell06 View Post
    It is pulling it back all the way.

    I'm quite sure there's nothing wrong with the motor because I only got it two days ago
    Was it able to reverse in low gear before you installed the new motor?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  9. #9
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Was it able to reverse in low gear before you installed the new motor?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No it wasnt able to.Just one day I was out driving in the mud and grass and it wasn't reversing on low.

  10. #10
    RC Champion RCWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    California Bay Area
    Posts
    1,327
    Quote Originally Posted by hughodonnell06 View Post
    It is pulling it back all the way.

    I'm quite sure there's nothing wrong with the motor because I only got it two days ago
    If you can, check anyways to make sure there isn't anything wrong with the ESC. If it is able to reverse without a problem not connected to the drivetrain, then it is most likely not the ESC.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

  11. #11
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    If you can, check anyways to make sure there isn't anything wrong with the ESC. If it is able to reverse without a problem not connected to the drivetrain, then it is most likely not the ESC.
    How would I disconnect it from the drivetrain? (Sorry I'm not very good at this stuff but I hope I'm improving)

  12. #12
    RC Champion RCWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    California Bay Area
    Posts
    1,327
    To remove the motor, first, remove the three screws holding the motor cover. After that, the motor and motor mount should slide out vertically.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

  13. #13
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    To remove the motor, first, remove the three screws holding the motor cover. After that, the motor and motor mount should slide out vertically.
    Thanks I've done that before I just got a bit confused.

  14. #14
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    2,041
    I think if the car not reverse, it's an issue with the ESC.

  15. #15
    RC Racer 2023Leftylp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    109
    I agree with Juanmacine, it sounds like an ESC issue.
    "The fun begins when the trail ends"

  16. #16
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    21
    How could I sort this issue?

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    253
    Have you tried running the motor outside the car? Maybe in a bowl of water to clean any debris that might be stuck in there? Also is there any chance that you have accidently put it in race mode (no reverse)?

  18. #18
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
    Have you tried running the motor outside the car? Maybe in a bowl of water to clean any debris that might be stuck in there? Also is there any chance that you have accidently put it in race mode (no reverse)?
    I have tried running the motor outside the car and it worked perfectly. I only got the motor yesterday and it has only been used once.
    It isn't in race mode. I have it in trail mode.

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier ElectricPropils's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    458
    I think the drivetrain is binding in reverse, you could've stripped a gear or something like that. When you try to reverse do you hear the motor run? Like, does it make any sound at all?

    Try putting it in reverse and pushing your car forward on a high traction surface, if you absolutely can't get the wheels to spin no matter what you do then it's a binding problem with the low speed transmission.

    I think you can all agree that if it goes in reverse in high but not low then it is most likely mechanical problem not electrical.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    253
    Maybe I'm asking the obvious, but have you taken the transmission apart to see inside?

  21. #21
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPropils View Post
    I think the drivetrain is binding in reverse, you could've stripped a gear or something like that. When you try to reverse do you hear the motor run? Like, does it make any sound at all?

    Try putting it in reverse and pushing your car forward on a high traction surface, if you absolutely can't get the wheels to spin no matter what you do then it's a binding problem with the low speed transmission.

    I think you can all agree that if it goes in reverse in high but not low then it is most likely mechanical problem not electrical.
    All I hear is a loud noise coming from the shift linkage.
    And the wheels didn't spin on a high traction surface when I pushed the car forward.

  22. #22
    RC Racer 2023Leftylp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by hughodonnell06 View Post
    All I hear is a loud noise coming from the shift linkage.
    And the wheels didn't spin on a high traction surface when I pushed the car forward.
    do you think it could be a gear slipping, that used to happen a lot on my faster traxxas cars but you never know, I would check
    "The fun begins when the trail ends"

  23. #23
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by 2023Leftylp View Post
    do you think it could be a gear slipping, that used to happen a lot on my faster traxxas cars but you never know, I would check
    How would that be checked?

  24. #24
    RC Qualifier TITANIUM94010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    San Francisco CA
    Posts
    569
    I think the best thing to do here would be to disconnect the grub screws on both driveshafts (on the ones that connect to the transmission), so the transmission can spin free. Then, try reversing with the motor installed, or just spin the spur gear (the big gear that the motor's gear comes in contact with) and see if the transmission is binding.

    If it binds, we'll know that it's a transmission issue. So then, you'll have to disassemble and reassemble. the transmission, which does have a lot of parts. But, with a little bit of patience, it's a relatively easy task


    If the transmission does not bind, then spin each of the axles to see if one of them binds.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

  25. #25
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
    I think the best thing to do here would be to disconnect the grub screws on both driveshafts (on the ones that connect to the transmission), so the transmission can spin free. Then, try reversing with the motor installed, or just spin the spur gear (the big gear that the motor's gear comes in contact with) and see if the transmission is binding.

    If it binds, we'll know that it's a transmission issue. So then, you'll have to disassemble and reassemble. the transmission, which does have a lot of parts. But, with a little bit of patience, it's a relatively easy task


    If the transmission does not bind, then spin each of the axles to see if one of them binds.
    I can still hear that sort of clicking noise but it is turning

  26. #26
    RC Champion RCWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    California Bay Area
    Posts
    1,327
    Quote Originally Posted by hughodonnell06 View Post
    I can still hear that sort of clicking noise but it is turning
    Forward, reverse, or both, and is there extra resistance in the drivetrain? A little more description of the clicking noise would be more helpful.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

  27. #27
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Forward, reverse, or both, and is there extra resistance in the drivetrain? A little more description of the clicking noise would be more helpful.
    It's hard to explain but it sort of sound like a rattle? I can only hear it when I'm reversing it. (driveshafts are disconnected)

  28. #28
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    2,041
    Quote Originally Posted by hughodonnell06 View Post
    It's hard to explain but it sort of sound like a rattle? I can only hear it when I'm reversing it. (driveshafts are disconnected)
    ¿Can you make a video and upload it here?

  29. #29
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    21
    https://share.icloud.com/photos/0S3-...M4XIiQDscAo97g
    Does this work? It is actually reversing a bit now since I reconnected the driveshafts but that noise is still there

  30. #30
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    97
    I, along with others, don't understand why you just wouldn't take the gearbox apart and see what's going on.
    'If it's free, I'm buying two!'

  31. #31
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyUK View Post
    I, along with others, don't understand why you just wouldn't take the gearbox apart and see what's going on.
    I think that is what I'm going to do now

  32. #32
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    2,041
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyUK View Post
    I, along with others, don't understand why you just wouldn't take the gearbox apart and see what's going on.
    Agree with this, the gearbox is the problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by hughodonnell06 View Post
    I think that is what I'm going to do now
    Say us the results, f you need help with the process, write here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •