RC poster

Reduced Range Following Receiver Upgrade

I have 2 2WD Slashes that had been on the shelf for some time. Got them back out last week and ran them with some new lipo batteries. It was with the stock transmitter and receiver and was impressed with their range.

This weekend I upgraded to the TQi transmitter, 6533 receiver and Bluetooth module to work with Traxxas Link app. I didnt make any changes to the out of the box setup....just linked the radios to the app. On the first trip with the new setup, the cars did not seem to go nearly as far as last week before losing connectivity or responding with sporadic movement. One car was worse than the other. Does weather matter?? Last week was mid-70s with sun (ran on grass soccer fields) while today was very dreary with light drizzle and very foggy in 50s (ran on pavement the whole time).

1) Is it possible that something was changed (or not changed) in the Link app that would affect the range?
    2) Is the TQi and 6533 receiver combination one that doesnt get as much range as older combinations possibly? Wouldn’t think so...but not sure what caused it.

I did have to take the antenna out when upgrading the receiver but am confident I replaced it the way it was.

I just upgraded my raptor/slash added the 6509R controller to mine and didn't notice any change to range on mine. I even took the antenna and cut the tube so it would not be sticking way out of body.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdub4 View Post
    I have 2 2WD Slashes that had been on the shelf for some time. Got them back out last week and ran them with some new lipo batteries. It was with the stock transmitter and receiver and was impressed with their range.

This weekend I upgraded to the TQi transmitter, 6533 receiver and Bluetooth module to work with Traxxas Link app. I didnt make any changes to the out of the box setup....just linked the radios to the app. On the first trip with the new setup, the cars did not seem to go nearly as far as last week before losing connectivity or responding with sporadic movement. One car was worse than the other. Does weather matter?? Last week was mid-70s with sun (ran on grass soccer fields) while today was very dreary with light drizzle and very foggy in 50s (ran on pavement the whole time).

1) Is it possible that something was changed (or not changed) in the Link app that would affect the range?
    2) Is the TQi and 6533 receiver combination one that doesnt get as much range as older combinations possibly? Wouldn’t think so...but not sure what caused it.

I did have to take the antenna out when upgrading the receiver but am confident I replaced it the way it was.
    I feel as though:
    1: yes, weather certainly effects radio frequencies, and probably never for the "better".
    B: i also felt like when i added the BT module, i lost range, as well as, spotty transmission of signal even without Link app and all turned on! And for some reason, if i left tx range, it'd stick full throttle, (or last signal it received) and that never, well...never really ended well. Lol!

Also noticed even right in front of me the truck would glitch out, and i believe ita due to bluetooth.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Might be the TSM....have you tried turning if off/on?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Finz View Post
    Might be the TSM....have you tried turning if off/on?
    This is something I will be checking. I didn’t check it when running yesterday - since this was first time out and wasn’t sure how to quickly do that. Will be trying that next run - unfortunately rainy day today.

RC poster
    @Trx4mewb thanks for the reply....that’s disappointing if this is the case. Did you find any solution to it on your side?

RC poster
    when I drive my stock slash in the rain I always get a huge loss in range, the best time to drive it for me is when there is no snow, dusk, and also dry.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn Schaefer View Post
    when I drive my stock slash in the rain I always get a huge loss in range, the best time to drive it for me is when there is no snow, dusk, and also dry.
    Thanks Finn, that is encouraging to know that maybe weather played a role and not something with the radio swap. Looking forward to a clear day now!

RC poster
    UPDATE - I was giving the cars a good cleaning today and noticed the bell cranks did not seem to be aligned to the holes. I assume this should not be that way, although the steering does work but I cant help but think this may be causing some of the sporadic behavior as it got further in range (or could be unrelated issue that needs fixed either way). Thoughts?

https://flic.kr/p/2kFNwAk