RC Racer

Trx-4 project - multiple bodies fit

I am new to the Crawler RC.

My entry ticket to the crawler world began during the Boxing Day, end of December 2020, when I purchased the ready to run G500.

I received my G500 soon after, but the received G500 body shell had some cosmetic flaws. So I did not used it during the NEW YEAR time, because I want to return the body shell.

After the conversation of Traxxas Canada customer service, I can use my G500 with the flawed body, while they send me a new body shell and I can keep the flawed one.

2 weeks later I received the new body ... and this is how I was digging into some kind of madness bodies hook. Having a background of scaled planes and cars since I was 7 years old, that side of me began to surface. I don't know yet if I have to thank Traxxas for they great customer service or I have to hate them for hooking me to this madness

Instead of throwing the 2nd body, I began to modify it and soon a bigger projet goal came on the top. I will try to put multiple bodies on that TRX-4 chassis with no change, or only minors changes.

In the same time, I had this crazy idea to put various type of bodies on that TRX-4 chassis. I had in mind :
    . Pony car
    . G500 of road (or open body)
    . Power wagon, w/ separate box
    . Italian car
    . Rat Rod
    . and the Defender Camel Trophy in hard body version

For now, I had :
    1x G500 slightly modified body (painting) - completed
    1x G500 of road - near completion
    1x Pony of road - near completion
    1x Defender hard body - in progress
    1x Rat Rod - just at the infancy stage

I will try to put some pictures tonight

RC Racer
    Welcome to the forums and hobby, mate. PICTURES!!! We love to see pictures

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
    Welcome to the forums and hobby, mate. PICTURES!!! We love to see pictures
    Thank You!

So here the

#1 . G500 slightly modified body (painting) - completed

For the fenders, I put the included stickers coming with the car - which replicate carbon fiber visual effet

I do find the original Wheels are way to much Biiiiggg. So for more visual balance and realism, I have put 105mm OD tires instead of the original 120mm OD tires. Rims are 1.9"

Also I add the hood embossement which hides the both frontal clips
    Last edited by Bach; 03-01-2021 at 08:05 PM.

RC Racer
    #2 . G500 off road - near completion

I trimed the enlarged outter fenders to get a less beasty and glamour look, i.e. - to go back to the more conventional body which, I think, is more appropriate for off road (serious crawling) goal.

Also this time, I painted white the headlight, the grill/calender, and the windshield top shade

I am not shure yet if I will remove the top or not ... or top elevate it to fit a camper style roof.

I have also cut out both original bumpers which are more for down town trip then country side tour. To still be in the Traxxas familly parts and visual cosmetic, I replaced them both by TRX Defender front and rear bumpers.

In those pics I took out the internal fenders, but it can run with them without any interference. You can see there are some 'hole' between fenders and body but this will be filled-up
    Last edited by Bach; 03-01-2021 at 08:52 PM.

RC Racer
    # 3 . 4ever Pony off road - near completion

My Pony 4ever body shell is a vintage/used body shell brought on eBay for 15 usd. It took me 5sec to decide - I, WANT, IT

Like most projects car with vintage ponies, the initial cost of the body is peanuts ... Shipping cost me 30 usd to bring it to Canada, Quebec. The roll cage (semi-cosmetic, semi-functional), bumpers, accessories etc. bring me well far north of the 100 ... but also like real vintage ponies projects, it was fun, fun, fun.

This winter, I saw the Mad Max Fury - so inspiration was not far away - and I call it Furiosa Pony 4ever. Its body shell came from a Z28 camaro 1969 in green with 2 metalllic strips on the top.

The front bumper of this beast is actually - the rear bumper of the TRX Sport ... The roll cage came fron a defender BangGood which is more 1/12 scale then 1/10 scale, but fit well the smaler 1/10 scale body of the pony.

RC Racer
    # 4 . Defender 313mm Hard Body - in progress

The defender will have 2 lifes
    . 1st life as a modern top less defender
    . 2nd life as a vintage Camel trophy beast

This is it's first life

Now the bowels

On/off button and same preset button is reachable by opening the defender hood

without battery pack

with battery pack

with rear seat row / battery cover
    In fact, with the longer battery, floor has to be removed. With shorter one, just take off rear seat row, put it in, plug it and put back rear seat row

RC Racer
    Was the floor modular or did you cut it like this?

RC Racer
    I make it modular

and the knobs are inverted in the pics for left hand drive, but luckily there are not glued yet
    Last edited by Bach; 03-05-2021 at 08:21 AM.

RC Racer
    If you plan on adding a spare wheel on the back door, you should get some metal hinges. I almost lost both the door and the attached wheel while trailing mine one day.

The plastic ones just couldn't cope with the weight.

RC Racer
    Good idea - thanks

I will do that when I'll swap to the camel trophy body. For the moment, with modern style, I think, I will trick the visual aspect with a bicycle ... : )

Or I will made a custom rear door without the window and it's frame

RC Racer
    I think you can get the back door as a spare part. Then you can cut it to fit. I've seen it sold somewhere, but can't remember the shop. Might have been in Atees.

EDIT: Found it --> https://www.teamraffeeco.com/windshi...rd-body-159434
    Last edited by xagoras; 03-05-2021 at 06:40 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bach View Post
    # 3 . 4ever Pony off road - near completion

My Pony 4ever body shell is a vintage/used body shell brought on eBay for 15 usd. It took me 5sec to decide - I, WANT, IT

Like most projects car with vintage ponies, the initial cost of the body is peanuts ... Shipping cost me 30 usd to bring it to Canada, Quebec. The roll cage (semi-cosmetic, semi-functional), bumpers, accessories etc. bring me well far north of the 100 ... but also like real vintage ponies projects, it was fun, fun, fun.

This winter, I saw the Mad Max Fury - so inspiration was not far away - and I call it Furiosa Pony 4ever. Its body shell came from a Z28 camaro 1969 in green with 2 metalllic strips on the top.

The front bumper of this beast is actually - the rear bumper of the TRX Sport ... The roll cage came fron a defender BangGood which is more 1/12 scale then 1/10 scale, but fit well the smaler 1/10 scale body of the pony.

SOME UPDATES on the Furioa's Pony forever

The vehicle had more precise shape and style. It is now nearly completion - I waited 1 month for the stickers to arrived - I didn't want to print a copy of it, as the artist had spent energy and time on it's creation like me with the Pony.

It has now the third party metal front bumper of the defender. The floor belongs also to the hard body defender.

Also a little wheatering on the top compressor - and you can barely see the both shifter of the defender hard body floor

The rear allows to stick on the trunk and post, a full size spare tire

The front with the 'cosmetic winch' part of the traxxas defender

Iso view

Furiosa view - instead of muffer tip output on that side, I do prefer to put something which fit the design of the mechanical Furiosa's arm

and finally 'the bag blood named MAX' view
    Last edited by Bach; 03-08-2021 at 07:24 PM.

RC Racer
    Approach angle

Departure angle

For less scaled/realism, but more crawling purpose, here the 4ever Pony with 2.2" beadlock rims on the 1.9" - 120mm OD tires - this sport car body is so low than you can see the defender shifter - because the defender interior base is still there
    I have put for comparison, the original G500 wheel (with newer rim paint)
    Last edited by Bach; 03-08-2021 at 08:10 PM.

RC Racer
    #2 . G500 off road - near completion

I trimed the enlarged outter fenders to get a less beasty and glamour look, i.e. - to go back to the more conventional body which, I think, is more appropriate for off road (serious crawling) goal.

Also this time, I painted white the headlight, the grill/calender, and the windshield top shade

I am not shure yet if I will remove the top or not ... or top elevate it to fit a camper style roof.

I have also cut out both original bumpers which are more for down town trip then country side tour. To still be in the Traxxas familly parts and visual cosmetic, I replaced them both by TRX Defender front and rear bumpers.

In those pics I took out the internal fenders, but it can run with them without any interference. You can see there are some 'hole' between fenders and body but this will be filled-up

#2 G500 Off Road near completion

Some additional work have been performed and I end up changing the front bumper (In my opinion, the previous bumper was too wide for that body, and lack given to this off road version some character/punch) - The front bumper of the Traxxas Sport was retained for the G500 Off Road front bumper.

As the goal is to swap between bodies with as few possible changes, the interior of the G500 inerit the one given by the Defender Hard body, which is not bad because this interior is not bad

The interior

The front bumper came from the TRX-4 Sport front bumper. On the front roof, I have added a set of 4 highlights (which still need to be tuned for a better cosmetic appearance)

The rear bumper of the G500 Off Road came from the rear bumper of the TRX-4 Defender, which had to be trimed a little bit to give space for the internal side of both G500 rear lights

The side of the G500 Off Road - Asthis body is fitted for crawling then trailing, standard rims and tire is needed. So Rims are 2.2" beadlocks on 1.9", 120mm tires (I do find there is too much rubber visually on those tires if put on the standard 1.9" rims)

---- ---- ----

Finally some direct comparisons of both visions of the G500s

City Bad Boy

VS HighLands Bad Boy

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Bach; 03-13-2021 at 06:53 PM.

RC Racer
    Have you cut the fenders all the way and then trimmed them and put them back, or did you cut them and then made them curvy like that? I'm curious how you maintained the curve.

RC Racer
    I have cut the fenders out, I have left around 7mm on the body shell to get some additional support when I glue/silicon them back. Then I trim the off fenders to match the body shape. Finnally I glue/silicon them back - but at higher position (around 3-4mm higher that opened the lower portion off the fenders and gave more room for the tires to fit in)

here a close-up of the triming to fit the body panel shape

You can see also a little bit the triming with this pic. And you can also see a little how much the fenders are raised

Last edited by Bach; 03-13-2021 at 08:35 PM.

RC Racer
    Have you tested it on the rocks to see how it holds? What glue did you use?

RC Racer
    Glue = Shoe Goo

Silicon = GE Silicon for Boat

No, not tested heavily yet. But should pop-up some day if scrape rocks a lot. Then can be glue/silicon again.

My Process is to glue and fill with the glue as much as possible, in several layers (glue shrink a lot). Then fill the remaining space/hole with silicon to give it some strength to avoid it to flex too much.

With a Lexan/polycarbonate shell which is extra flexible and resistant, the only way to be sure to keep something there is to retain it on both side of the shell.

Here some test with Shoe Goo and E6000

RC Racer
    The Wrangler hard body arrived friday, but I only open it before yesterday. I worked on it yesterday late night - here some pics

De-assemble it - cut the raw body it in half. You can also see in the pic the bought front and hood accessories.

I wanted a 2 doors wangler but I don't know yet if it will began a 2 doors passenger vehicle, or a 2 doors flat bed utility vehicle.

Also I am thinking ... I am not sure if I will put the accessories or not

without accessory

with the hood accessory

with the hood and front accessories

What do you think ? flat bed utility vehicle or passenger ? any accessory/accessories ?

RC Racer
    I wanted a wrangler hard body with front chassic fenders which are curved on the front, it's less common in the 1:10 RC world. On the top of that, I wanted a 2 doors - which need some works and challenges to fit it on a TRX-4 313mm chassis

So the nearly 'unique' possibility was the Wrangler Injora 2 doors Hard Body - or equivalent - on 270mm chassis

Here below some pictures of the 3 styles evaluations

Wrangler utility with Flat Bed

Wrangler aka Paris-Dakar Rally - support team

Wrangler 2 Door passengers

The problem is the integration of rear utility open space fit well with closed cabin, and I could find good idea with smooth transition between open cabin and open rear utility space/platform

--- --- ---

On my quest of ideas, then I found out this wrangler version - the 2007 2 doors Wrangler unlimited, which is 2doors wrangler on an extended chassis

Hard Top

Open Cabin

--- --- ---

So the built of thefinal version has just started 2 days ago

- removal of ABS floor on the rear section
    - trim out the rear seats
    - built new rear floor

rear floor fit test

rear section with floor and rear seats

Front bumper trim, and rear section trim and rear bumper moved higher - to have similar look to the 2007 Unlimited edition
    1:10 Scale

1:1 2007 Unlimited edition
    Last edited by Bach; 04-04-2021 at 04:05 PM.

RC Racer
    I just started 3d printing this body in abs for my trx6 I probably wont use the bed I want a dumping flat bed
    https://www.scale3drc.com/56-commonw...ne-bp4sg-ljs4c

RC Racer
    Oooops

'
    The problem is the integration of rear utility open space fit well with closed cabin, and I could find good idea with smooth transition between open cabin and open rear utility space/platform
    '

forgot the negative I should write :
    '

The problem is the integration of rear utility open space fit well with closed cabin, and I couldn't find good idea with smooth transition between open cabin and open rear utility space/platform
    '

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by chris5100 View Post
    I just started 3d printing this body in abs for my trx6 I probably wont use the bed I want a dumping flat bed
    https://www.scale3drc.com/56-commonw...ne-bp4sg-ljs4c

IT's become 'a la mode' and quite popular to use the TRX-6 chassis to make a 4x4 version for projet like this

Quite a project with a dumping flat bed - Yes, I do also think, this beast would be much much better with a dumping flat bed ! and very special too !

RC Racer
    little update on the wrangler

Dash board gets some instruments, a gps screen, and some air condition knobs

The rear of the frame have now a double floor which allows a 2sd short battery to be located there
    Once in place the 2sd battery will be hidden by the rears seats which comes on the top of te battery

RC Qualifier
    Whoa..if you blow the picture up that interior looks like the real thing

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Incredible amount of detail - wow! Will be a shame to get it muddy, thatís for sure! Great work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Love the pony car! Been looking for a car body to put on mine, want to be different. Everybody has some kind of truck or SUV.

RC Racer
    Thanks radio uncontroland steeve for your sweet words

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by wuds View Post
    Love the pony car! Been looking for a car body to put on mine, want to be different. Everybody has some kind of truck or SUV.
    Thanks,

From what I know, you don't see much rc car like pony 4x4 because the standard wheelbase of 1/10 rc car is mostly 260mm, and while the wheelbase of 1/10 rc truck/suv is between 300mm to 334mm. They are few rc truck/suv with 270mm wheelbase, mostly on a 1/10 rc D90 Defender.

So it's a little bit tricky, but feasible

I have in the pipeline this Lancia. This time I will try to stretch it out at the wheelbase i.e. cut it in half, and ad material at the door level with some grill/mesh - to hopely obtain the 313mm wheelbase convertible 4x4 rally/trail race car

Process has began
    Last edited by Bach; 04-09-2021 at 08:49 AM.

RC Racer
    [QUOTE=Bach;6583906]
    Wrangler Unlimited 2007 1:1

--- --- ---

my replica 1/10 - Weeks ago

my replica 1/10 - today Update

The roll cage done !
    (retrofit of the wrangler 4 doors Injora abs/aluminum roll cage)

Also, I have put the main shifter in 'Departure' Position

Last edited by Bach; 04-13-2021 at 10:27 PM.

RC Racer
    How did you close the gap behind the door? What's that material?

RC Racer
    It's like this with the Injora roll cage kit. I've drilled the hole on both side to position the lower end of the post. There is a hole on the body, but it was not exactly at the right place for this post. The post is made fron ABS.

I was very surprised by the very high quality of this roll cage.

The gap is super tinny, almost none in my 'sample' between the post nd the door once the door is closed

RC Qualifier
    I've ordered several Injora components and have been pleasantly surprised each time..
    Maybe depending on what item you order but I've had all good experiences

RC Racer
    I would say, I took a chance by getting this roll cage which is desinged for the Injora 4 doors Wrangler.

My guess was, Injora is a pretty efficient company. So when designing the 2 Doors, their have to use the existing mold design/parts as much as possible, so there is a chance that '4 doors Wrangler roll cage' would fit partially on the '2 doors Wrangler body'

And yes, the doors, the windshield frame holes, and some body holes - do fit nicely. And on the top of the Sundea, This roll cage was made from plastic and all the bars are made from aluminum.

I would at least 35-45% of the 1/10 rc pats came from them - and I was never deceived exceopt for the paint on one set of my black rims - but those were really cheap, so it was not all bad

those ones are painted https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32986...archweb201603_

RC Racer
    Update on the Wrangler :

I replaced the OEM spare wheel, which is in scale, but way too small for crawler 1/10 vehicle.

I modified the 3rd braking light support by elongated it by 1/3''

Finally I hooked on the spare wheels, but no steel or aluminum rim as I want the weight to be minimum, especially when hooking on something located behind the rear axle. And I've put a cap with a 'Jeep' logo on

RC Qualifier
    Moving along nicely..

That hood scoop sure looks familiar.

RC Racer
    Yes ....

I found it a little bit too long for the wrangler hood - so I trimed it a little

RC Enthusiast
    Thank You!

So here the

#1 . G500 slightly modified body (painting) - completed

For the fenders, I put the included stickers coming with the car - which replicate carbon fiber visual effet

I do find the original Wheels are way to much Biiiiggg. So for more visual balance and realism, I have put 105mm OD tires instead of the original 120mm OD tires. Rims are 1.9"

Also I add the hood embossement which hides the both frontal clips
    HOLY CRAP. I really want to paint my trx6 like that now........ that looks amazing.