Ruster 4x4 VXL Losing Power

Hey All,
    So my rustler sounds good, slipper and pinion, are good, battery is good....but it just doesnt have the power it used to. It isnt sluggish....but it wont wheelie even on 3s battery and goes about the speed of a 2s at 50%.... any thoughts?

cheers,
    Cheers,
    RomeoX
    "You Can't Fix This Car Spicoli"

Bearings good? Training mode?

Good luck!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Bearings good. I dont know how it would have gotten into training mode, but i will check that....didnt even think about it. Thanks for your help friend!!!
    Cheers,
    RomeoX

I could be wrong but usually when some bearings get worn out, it does not affect the ability to pop up wheelies and it mostly affects the top end speed. Also the most common cause of a huge drop of speed is a motor which has been overheated.

But like Squeegie tends to suggest, sometimes the Velineon ESC falls into training mode.
    Good driver. Bad setup. Bad things will happen...

all my temps are always good....have dual fans and i dont even push it that hard.....thats what makes this a real head scratcher. I will check training mode, but maybe its time for a new motor
    Cheers,
    RomeoX

RC Enthusiast
    Okay I got speed, but I do get wheelies. I now got new tires on in and that can be one factor, are the tires good?

Bearings do get cleaned slipper is adjusted, maybe some more tightening? never know till you maintenance her

Sure it could be one or the other but just to answer the question that nobody asks, how do we know if the problem comes from the motor or the ESC, I would answer that most of the time when a ESC is bad, it stops completely working. Also even when a motor has never been overheated, it could be worn out, but before concluding to fast, just make sure that the motor bearings are in good condition and are not seized into the shaft.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MECHANIC77 View Post
    Sure it could be one or the other but just to answer the question that nobody asks, how do we know if the problem comes from the motor or the ESC, I would answer that most of the time when a ESC is bad, it stops completely working. Also even when a motor has never been overheated, it could be worn out, but before concluding to fast, just make sure that the motor bearings are in good condition and are not seized into the shaft.
    I had burned up my VXL 3500 in my R4sty relatively fast (2-3mo) and purchased the traxxas velineon rebuild kit. . .new bearing, bushing and end-cap, and all was well. Though, mine didnt "lose power" before croaking, it just made SO much noise, then STOPPED moving the truck, but still the rotor spun.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Trx4newb View Post
    I had burned up my VXL 3500 in my R4sty relatively fast (2-3mo) and purchased the traxxas velineon rebuild kit. . .new bearing, bushing and end-cap, and all was well. Though, mine didnt "lose power" before croaking, it just made SO much noise, then STOPPED moving the truck, but still the rotor spun.
    Most of the time when bearings wear out, the clearances increase slowly as well as the amount of friction, then suddenly one of them seizes on the shaft but usually the front bearing is the one who seizes first because it is more exposed to the elements. For my part, I don't wait until one of them fails because there's a risk that a bearing disintegrates and ruin a good motor.

I'd say if you still have the top end speed. Then check your slipper again may just need a small adjustment to get wheelies again

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Could also be a traction issue...
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein