Thread: paints

paints

Hi I was looking at getting a Proline Body and I could not find a good paint option. does anyone know the best paint for a lexan body
    "The fun begins when the trail ends"

Quote Originally Posted by 2023Leftylp View Post
    Hi I was looking at getting a Proline Body and I could not find a good paint option. does anyone know the best paint for a lexan body
    Not quite sure how to answer? You want paint made for Lexan.

If your asking for who makes some, Pactra, Spaz Stix, Tamiya, and Duratrax make spray paint cans.
    Also Pro-line and Spaz Stix make airbrush paint for Lexan bodies.
    I'm sure there are others that make Lexan paint, these where what came to mind of the top of my head.

RC Racer
    From what I know, you may have different paint formulation for ABS plastic type and for Polycarbonate Plastic type

Mostly, Hardbody is made from ABS and Shell Body is made From Polycarbonate
    Lexan is the trade mane of polycarbonate plastic, now Sabic has that trade name and formulation

For painting, on Tamiya for example, I would use Tamiya TS for hardbody paint , and Tamiya PS for Lexan Shell paint.

RC Qualifier
    For painting Lexan, Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric Coating is essentially polycarbonate paint in a larger, cheaper can. I've used it for many bodies in the past, and aside from being far more limited in available colors (I think there are only 11 colors, and they're all pretty much what the interior of a car would be-- black, white, red, blue, charcoal, tan. etc)

I've found no drawbacks. Doesn't chip, doesn't flake, is ~$7 for an 11oz can, available at most any autoparts store. For my next shell, I'm doing silver on the inside and "desert sand" on the outside, so I can get the authentic "scratched-up crawler look" over time.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 2023Leftylp View Post
    If this is your first time to paint a lexan body, I'd say go with Tamiya PS spray paints. They are widely avaialable, come in various colors and most importantly, they adhere to the body extremely well. Also if you plan to do 2 or 3 colors, use their masking tape and keep it as clean, and free of dust and dirt, on the sides as possible.

Here's a good article to get you going --> https://web.archive.org/web/20100617...m/ken/faq.html