RC poster

Sand Paw 2.8 on a Sl4sh - but which version?

Hey folks, I've read maybe a dozen posts about 2.8 Sand Paws on the Sl4sh, so I bought some for running in snow (yes, they got delivered to me 3 days after our 9" of snow finished melting ). But hey, I'm in Ohio, so it might snow in June. Back to my topic....

Pro-Line sells two different 2.8 Sand Paws:
    1186-10 Sand Paw (5.22" diameter) - designed for Stampede according to Pro-Line
    10160-10 Sand Paw Low Profile (4.49" diameter) -- designed for Rustler according to Pro-Line.

My question is, should I return the 1186-10 wheels I just received and get the smaller diameter versions? My worry is suffering tire rub when turning. I have Pro Line extended body mounts to lift my shell, and I'll widen the wheel wells... but I don't want to open them and mess with mounting them until I've heard feedback from others who have done something like this.

Or, is extended A-arms or extended hubs to gain extra clearance an option? The tires look bada** in the plastic, so I hope I'll be able to use them!

Thanks, everyone.

RC Racer
    Helo, I have run the 5.22 (stampede4x4) since 2015. They performe great in the snow. I dont now if they will fit under slash 4x4 body, hopefolly someone nows. But in deep snow you want the biggest version for sure.

I did glue the ventilation holes before i run them, and now 6 years later they drive like brand new.

RC poster
    I appreciate the feedback. I spoke with Jay at Pro-line- very helpful and informative service. He confirmed what I expected from mocking up the tires - they're fine for the Sl4sh. I installed them this afternoon. I'll try to attach some pics before:

RC poster
    After (forgive the ugly basement background but the fluorescent light looks good):

RC Qualifier
    Looks nice. As previously mentioned bigger the better for the snow. Wider to stay on top of the snow, and taller for more clearance. But just remember, cold temps and bigger tires means parts break more often, I'd say go easy on it, but then I'd be a big hypocrite. Hammer down.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I wrapped an original a-arm around a steel post at a skate park when it was 13*F and there was much suffering. But dang it was fun up until that ill-timed powerslide!
    I still need to cut the wheel arches out so I can drop the shell a half-inch or so. The rear is way to high, but this was my start.

RC Qualifier
    That looks awesome! Really glad they fitted in the end (and relieved as they’re the ones I have on order too! ). Nice one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Looking good, i run 11/54 gearing with these tires and stock vxl 3s system on 3s lipo.

In wet snow they put alot of stress to the motor and esc, so you need snow to cool down motor/esc. I would not recomend running dust cover etc. I have tried that, and burned my vxl esc.

RC poster
    TWG2000 - appreciate your experience on the matter. I just took her for a spin in the front lawn. Definitely more stable in cornering thanks to the added width.
    Also, I'm still on stock gearing with the Titan and I can do wheelies off the reverse/forward move. Terrible on the motor, I know. Will probably swap back over to the stock wheels soon unless we get some late-season snow....and if I burn out the $15 titan can then I might just have to tell my wife I need a new Castle SCT or Sidewinder combo

RC poster

Just added a picture to show I needed to hack my Pro Line rear body mounts or else on compression they'd impact the gray linkage. Forget the proper name for it....

RC Qualifier
    Camber link.
    I run an Emaxx body in the winter for the paddles and especially the spikes I have.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cbjfan2009 View Post
    TWG2000 - appreciate your experience on the matter. I just took her for a spin in the front lawn. Definitely more stable in cornering thanks to the added width.
    Also, I'm still on stock gearing with the Titan and I can do wheelies off the reverse/forward move. Terrible on the motor, I know. Will probably swap back over to the stock wheels soon unless we get some late-season snow....and if I burn out the $15 titan can then I might just have to tell my wife I need a new Castle SCT or Sidewinder combo
    I hope you get to test the paddle tires with brushless power some day.

RC poster
    Roger that. Hoping to coax the wife into doing the Power-Up program. Seems a pretty solid deal for the money. One note to any future readers of this thread:
    18.9mph GPS recorded speed. That was with 2S, Titan 12t, sand paws. I just swapped back to my summer tires and added an extra tooth to my pinion from stock to get a little more speed. Undoubtedly, big paddles = big rolling resistance / poor speed!
    Last edited by cbjfan2009; 03-16-2021 at 08:35 PM.