RC Competitor

Proline shocks for X-Maxx 8S “The cheap way”

Well I was looking to upgrade my shocks, and I really love the dual-rate full proline shock setup that is available for the X-Maxx. But spending $500 bucks seems crazy to me.

The only beneficial parts seemed to be the larger shafts, and the smoother delrin pistons.

I ordered the Proline larger shafted shock lowers, and the Proline shock bodies. I am going to reuse my stock plastic shock caps. And I’ll be running brand new Traxxas 1.199 springs/ and 1.346 springs with 37.5wt oil Other than the stock shock caps, these will be mostly full proline shocks!

Anyone running this setup? My parts will be here in a day or so. Looking forward to testing them out.

Stock X-Maxx 8S shocks are $140.00 without springs, and the proline shock setup is $192 without springs. So it’s only $13 bucks more per wheel!

Last edited by tps34433; 03-03-2021 at 12:41 PM.

I am looking at getting those but not the proline shafts, just the pistons and the reservoirs.
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Bandit XL-5 Just Gonna Send It!!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatTraxxas View Post
    I am looking at getting those but not the proline shafts, just the pistons and the reservoirs.
    Yeah I didn’t think I would see any benefit for the reservoirs. And spending $200 on shock caps seemed pretty crazy for me. But i’m open to be proved wrong, if those reservoirs help them i’m
    all for it.

I wanted brand new silky smooth shocks so that’s mostly why I went this route.

I would only get them if you plan on doing heavy bashing. (What I do best)
    You probably won’t need them if you do small jumps or just drive normally. I am only getting 1 set for the rear because they are VERY expensive. The proline shafts are thick as heck! If your bashing those are a great upgrade aswell. Because you said “silky smooth” I’m gonna guess you are just driving regularly. If so some different shock oil will help. You should always tweak your car to you’re preference and don’t rely on factory settings.
    Have fun!

RC Champion
    I use a 1/5 full aluminum dual stage shock absorbers I buy in Ebay for 50$ aprox.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatTraxxas View Post
    I would only get them if you plan on doing heavy bashing. (What I do best)
    You probably won’t need them if you do small jumps or just drive normally. I am only getting 1 set for the rear because they are VERY expensive. The proline shafts are thick as heck! If your bashing those are a great upgrade aswell. Because you said “silky smooth” I’m gonna guess you are just driving regularly. If so some different shock oil will help. You should always tweak your car to you’re preference and don’t rely on factory settings.
    Have fun!

Yes I drive normally. Small jumps and tumbles. Nothing crazy. That’s why I just went for new 1.199 springs for the front and 1.347 springs for the rear. And still a reasonable 37Wt oil.

I like the suspension to work pretty quickly while moving fast. I am
    planning to start actually jumping the truck though. So I really wanted strong shock shafts.

My stock shocks are actually still excellent. I rebuilt them all for like $20 bucks with the traxxas kits available. They are pretty smooth.

That’s one thing I like about the xmaxx. The shocks are smooth after running the truck. I use to run shourtcourse 1/10 scale, and the shocks just get sandblasted. After each run the suspension feels like a dirt sand which haha.

PS Towerhobbies has Easypay, and they sell all of the proline xmaxx shock parts.

Quote Originally Posted by tps34433 View Post
    Yes I drive normally. Small jumps and tumbles. Nothing crazy. That’s why I just went for new 1.199 springs for the front and 1.347 springs for the rear. And still a reasonable 37Wt oil.

I like the suspension to work pretty quickly while moving fast. I am
    planning to start actually jumping the truck though. So I really wanted strong shock shafts.

My stock shocks are actually still excellent. I rebuilt them all for like $20 bucks with the traxxas kits available. They are pretty smooth.

That’s one thing I like about the xmaxx. The shocks are smooth after running the truck. I use to run shourtcourse 1/10 scale, and the shocks just get sandblasted. After each run the suspension feels like a dirt sand which haha.

PS Towerhobbies has Easypay, and they sell all of the proline xmaxx shock parts.
    So then you probably won’t need the resivoirs. Me on the other hand, probably will.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Piggybacks look cool, never any good feedback on their functionality. Big monster trucks that jump, don’t use them. I opted for to use 60 wt oil 1.5 in the rear, 1.4’s in the front and UE engineering upgraded shafts. Never a capacity issue or bottoming out unnecessarily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me big air. 1.5spring all around and 60wt. If I was to do over I'd do 1.4 in front as racing back on the grass field the front is a bit bouncy from all the mole holes.

Thought about the proline shocks but was to spendy to just pull the trigger without a need.

The xmaxx shocks have a bit different design on the bottom caps that catches and removed dirt a bit better than the other shocks I've seen.

Shock socks seem to help me a lot as well since I run in sand and mud and helps keep the crap off.

I added the rpm shock guards as well to keep debris from hitting the shafts. Haven't had a issue with shocks since I added socks and a guard, and changed springs.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I did get Murat RC mudguards to protect my shocks as well. Company out of Poland. Nice stuff. I had shock socks, loud green. But hated the look. I’d get a muted color if I ever put a set back on.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    I did get Murat RC mudguards to protect my shocks as well. Company out of Poland. Nice stuff. I had shock socks, loud green. But hated the look. I’d get a muted color if I ever put a set back on.

I’m not sure why a company doesn’t make the rubber boots that protect the shafts like racing 1/8 scale buggies have. That method works really well. After a run I’m always cleaning my xmaxx shocks. The lower caps, and the upper rubber portion get packed with mud and dirt. I’m
    hoping the plastic covers on the proline shocks help alleviate this.

I don’t even drive in mud or dirt really. I drive in super short dry grass 99% of the time.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    For me big air....
    Thought about the proline shocks but was to spendy to just pull the trigger without a need.

The xmaxx shocks have a bit different design on the bottom caps that catches and removed dirt a bit better than the other shocks I've seen.

Shock socks seem to help me a lot as well since I run in sand and mud and helps keep the crap off.

I added the rpm shock guards as well to keep debris from hitting the shafts. Haven't had a issue with shocks since I added socks and a guard, and changed springs.
    Agreed. I've got UE shafts on hand for when stock get bent, but mine have not bent yet must be the threat of immediate replacement. I don't like the huge amount of oil displacement in the shocks caused by the Proline huge shafts, although they should never bend lol. All that oils gotta go somewhere when they compress and the bladders are there for that.

Stock shocks here too (bought couple extras to swap out if and when they get messed up while running. Need to buy the aluminum caps since I've had them pop off a couple times in hard crashes. I'm running stock springs and oil but going to 40wt oil next time I service them.

I've run sock shocks almost from day one, helps keep crap out of the shocks and the shafts clean and not beat up, they are getting some holes in them, but they are cheap to replace. No rock guards on mine, might get some not sure but seems like bolting some kydex plastic to the rear a-arms is the best way to protect them?

Forgot to say ime rubber boots like 1/8 scale race buggies are a maintenance pita and restrict shock movement.
    Last edited by Natedog; 03-04-2021 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
    Agreed. I've got UE shafts on hand for when stock get bent, but mine have not bent yet must be the threat of immediate replacement. I don't like the huge amount of oil displacement in the shocks caused by the Proline huge shafts, although they should never bend lol. All that oils gotta go somewhere when they compress and the bladders are there for that.

Stock shocks here too (bought couple extras to swap out if and when they get messed up while running. Need to buy the aluminum caps since I've had them pop off a couple times in hard crashes. I'm running stock springs and oil but going to 40wt oil next time I service them.

I've run sock shocks almost from day one, helps keep crap out of the shocks and the shafts clean and not beat up, they are getting some holes in them, but they are cheap to replace. No rock guards on mine, might get some not sure but seems like bolting some kydex plastic to the rear a-arms is the best way to protect them?

Forgot to say ime rubber boots like 1/8 scale race buggies are a maintenance pita and restrict shock movement.
    I bent a shock shaft and a spring 1y ago. When got my xmaxx. Got socks and guards. Heavier springs. Shaft kit repair. But just bent shaft back awaiting parts and still still running old shaft with no issues.

I feel like parts don't like failing when have spares.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk