RC Enthusiast

Help me pinpoint where this noise is coming from (Video)

My Slash 2WD is making this noise:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bb7...ew?usp=sharing

It seems to be coming from the diff...but quite hard to tell..

Anyone knows what the issue could be before I start taking everything apart?

RC Racer
    Well, I can its most likely not the internal gears inside the diff since both wheels are spinning. When both wheels spin at the same speed, the gears inside the diff dont move. It almost sounds like a bad bearing, possibly inside the motor based on the pitch of the whine. Maybe try taking your pinion off and run the motor without anything connected to it. If there is no noise, then your going to have to open up the gearbox. Can also check the bearing for the slipper as well.

i had the same problem but its the gears inside of the diff. The guy above is not completely right with what happened to me so i would just buy a whole new or a rebuild kit for it.
    When You Feel Down Send It To The MOON!!

I agree with Devestator. It sounds like the bearings or motor, but it could also be the gears inside the transmission. First, remove the motor, and run the motor just by itself to see if it makes that noise. If it doesn't, then turn the wheels of the car by rolling it on the ground to see if there is any resistance, and open the transmission to inspect the damage. If there are large chunks of metal shavings, it's most likely the gears, but if the gears look okay, remove the bearings and spin them to see if they are seized.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Enthusiast
    Alright, I finally got some time to get back to this one. So I took the pinion gear off, leaving the motor isolated and running by itself, and sure enough the loud screaching sound is still there. Spinning the spur gear with my finger while the pinion off caused no sound.

This thing is gonna run loud! Can the motor itself be opened up and serviced, or do i just wait until it eventually dies and then get a new one?

Try cleaning it by running it in clean water (distilled water, or water with no ions or minerals), and then oil the bushings with some oil (3 in 1 oil is fairly cheap and does the job pretty well).
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Try cleaning it by running it in clean water (distilled water, or water with no ions or minerals), and then oil the bushings with some oil (3 in 1 oil is fairly cheap and does the job pretty well).
    That worked! Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk