RC Enthusiast

ESC Bricked, no new ESC's available

Well my son enjoyed the Maxx since X-mas, but now is bummed because his ESC decided it's time was up. Contacted Traxxas, was advised to ship back the ESC and motor to be "checked out", received a prompt response that the motor checked out good, but the ESC was faulty. They are returning the motor and will send us a new ESC, but the ESC's are on backorder with no date of shipment.
    Good thing he has a MERV and a Latrax Rally to enjoy in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by microfarming View Post
    Well my son enjoyed the Maxx since X-mas, but now is bummed because his ESC decided it's time was up. Contacted Traxxas, was advised to ship back the ESC and motor to be "checked out", received a prompt response that the motor checked out good, but the ESC was faulty. They are returning the motor and will send us a new ESC, but the ESC's are on backorder with no date of shipment.
    Good thing he has a MERV and a Latrax Rally to enjoy in the meantime.
    Well that really stinks. Unfortunately there was also no ETA for my tires I badly needed for my bandit, I got them 2 months later. Hopefully your ESC ships faster than that. Hopefully the merv will be strong and keep him happy until the new ESC arrives.
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Bandit XL-5 Just Gonna Send It!!

RC Qualifier
    I'd think about a new Hobbywing ESC if I was in your position, then when the Traxxas replacement turns up, sell it. The stock Traxxas ESCs fetch good money on eBay for some reason, so it would be a cheap way of getting up & running again.
    Quite a few people on here have said it's a good upgrade anyway, but I have no experience of it personally. (Still building my Maxx)

I have heard that too.

RC Champion
    Yep- Max 8 - then you can run a 6s setup in the future if more speed is needed

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca 3 View Post
    I'd think about a new Hobbywing ESC if I was in your position, then when the Traxxas replacement turns up, sell it. The stock Traxxas ESCs fetch good money on eBay for some reason, so it would be a cheap way of getting up & running again.
    Quite a few people on here have said it's a good upgrade anyway, but I have no experience of it personally. (Still building my Maxx)
    Will the Hobbywing ESC allow for the use of the Traxxas link?

The link module is in the transmitter. It connects to the receiver not the ESC

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatTraxxas View Post
    The link module is in the transmitter. It connects to the receiver not the ESC
    Although this is true, you will have to look at getting additional sensor to plug into the receiver. The amount of those you require will depend on the parameters you wish to have on the app. I only display battery voltage & motor temp, which are on the same sensor plug, so cheap & easy to get working. Battery voltage gives you a good idea on run time & motor temp is always good to keep an eye on.
    The speed & RPM is as good as fiction as far as I'm concerned, so I don't worry about that.

RC Competitor
    For the max 8 it doesn't need to be linked , it comes with a program card to set the parameters.

There are some new traxxas vxl-4s esc's on ebay.
    Last edited by JohnD@_FL; 03-04-2021 at 10:29 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD@_FL View Post
    For the max 8 it doesn't need to be linked , it comes with a program card to set the parameters.

There are some new traxxas vxl-4s esc's on ebay.
    That only works for initial setup though, not live telemetry. It depends what you want to use the app for I guess.

RC Racer
    You will not get any telemetry with hw. Buy a vxl 8s

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca 3 View Post
    This, never even ran my ESC, sold as new take-off. Telemetry and TSM meh I'll pass, gear appropriately, check motor and lipo temps occasionally while running and no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Hghlndr View Post
    You will not get any telemetry with hw. Buy a vxl 8s
    VXL 8s?? It’s a maxx..

RC Champion
    Just get an aftermarket ESC , not trying to bash the traxxas ESC but - there are many other options out there too I could never get the brakes working right on my stock ESC so I gave up , Also some are 6s capable too

RC Competitor
    The telemetry is not accurate unless you have the gps module anyways.

RC Racer
    I am aware. Same foot print as vxl 4 and buch beefier.

RC Enthusiast
    Well, Still waiting for the warrantied ESC from Traxxas, My kid is bummed now, he broke his MERV (wore out the Hot Racing Aluminum knuckle axle carrier) and his Latrax Rally (blew out front diff gear). At least we can have these fixed this weekend when the parts arrive.

RC Enthusiast
    Finally have a happy kid, Traxxas shipped the new ESC, got it installed and he's back to testing the Maxx's durability limits.

https://youtube.com/shorts/qT7KGGUOj2w

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by microfarming View Post
    Finally have a happy kid, Traxxas shipped the new ESC, got it installed and he's back to testing the Maxx's durability limits.

https://youtube.com/shorts/qT7KGGUOj2w
    Good to hear man!!!