RC poster

Maxx or E Revo VXL?

Iím gonna buy a couple RCís, one for me, one for my 8 YO. Iím sure some of you are cringing but heís actually a good, responsible driver. Weíve had a couple toy grade rcís and they broke all the time. We love the hobby so want something that will hold up. Almost went with the Pede, for some reason It made top of the lists of many YouTube top 10 etc. But after more digging it seems like the Maxx is the way to go. What we are doing- mostly backyard medium jumping, mostly lawn with some wooded areas and some play on the road as well, not as much as the other stuff. Donít need any more speed than the stock setup. Should I go with 2 Maxxís or for a little diversity should get one E Rivo VXL as well? Want something more rugged that will hold up. Donít mind working on them a little thatís the fun of the hobby too, but just donít wanna do it every time I run. Thanks for the input.

Are you talking about the 1/16 erevo? I would get the erevo and maxx. The maxx is great for jumps! Itís practically indestructible
    the erevo is fast, and very cool. One thing to know about them both, is they will need maitnince and mechanic skills.
    Iíll refer you here for the erevo:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...37#post6578937
    Overall, the maxx is good for bashing and the erevo is good for backyard fun. Considering your son is 8 years old (even though a good driver) will probably want 4s and training mode on the Maxx and 2s on the merv (1/16 e revo VXL)
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Bandit XL-5 Just Gonna Send It!!

I can say, with the merv myself, it needs very little upgrades to be awesome! I think you should have the maxx and your son on the erevo. Although it’s small, it is extremely fun and fast! For the maxx I would get the wideMAXX kit. The wideMAXX kit makes the maxx more stable.

RC poster
    Yeah I thought about the wide kit. Some said on the videos i watched that it really wasn’t needed for offroad as much and that is what I plan to do most. I was thinking more about the full size revo. We have an off brand rc now, branded at 1/10 but really its more like 1/16. Maybe the smaller one would be better, that’s what he is used to anyway. Thanks for the response!

RC poster
    Thanks for the link. I was referring to the full size revo but might go with the smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuelburn View Post
    Thanks for the link. I was referring to the full size revo but might go with the smaller.
    Oh my bad. Around here it’s called the E revo brushless or erevo 2.0 and the mini is erevo vxl or merv. Both are fun and awesome!
    Last edited by ThatTraxxas; 03-04-2021 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatTraxxas View Post
    Oh my bad. Around here itís called the E revo brushless or erevo 2.0 and the mini is erevo vxl or merv. Both are fun and awesome!
    FYI: The new Erevo 2.0 is actually called the Erevo VXL also. Only the 1/16 pre-fix sets them apart.
    (Because the two shared the same name that's why the smaller one is nicknamed Mini E-ReVo)

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    FYI: The new Erevo 2.0 is actually called the Erevo VXL also. Only the 1/16 pre-fix sets them apart.
    (Because the two shared the same name that's why the smaller one is nicknamed Mini E-ReVo)
    I did not know that! Thank you!

RC Enthusiast
    After many toy grade RC's and breaking them without the ability to fix them, I purchased my son (7 yrs old at the time) a MERV for Christmas, it is small in size, but has been extremely fun even though it does seem to break quite often, its usually quite cheap to repair. This last Christmas I purchased a MAXX for him (11 yrs old now) and this thing has been a beast, only one broken driveshaft and a faulty ECS which the ESC was warrantied by Traxxas. I am actually considering purchasing MAXX for myself.