What do I need to run my merv on 3s?

Title says it all. Please try to put a link if possible. Some things are not available in Canada so bear with me.

I am planning to run 2 3s batteries in parallel. Is there anything I should be aware of?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-08-2021 at 02:25 AM. Reason: merge
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Bandit XL-5 Just Gonna Send It!!

Quote Originally Posted by ThatTraxxas View Post
    Title says it all. Please try to put a link if possible. Some things are not available in Canada so bear with me.
    What mods do you currently have done to the car?

Stock except for RPM arms and metal gear servo.

Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada-The Wet Coast!
    If it's a VXL, you just have to switch the ESC to lipo mode, and rig up some sort of parallel harness.
    Hope this helps!

Oh...you were talking about the durability side of things, not "can i run 3s on a merv". Sorry!

I'd get stronger driveshafts, and shim the diffs. That's at least what other people have done.
    I dont actually have a MERV, but I've seen this stuff done to a bunch of'em.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-08-2021 at 02:26 AM. Reason: merge
    Slash 2WD Vision Edition
    100+ posts, here I come!

Stock except for RPM arms and metal gear servo.
    What's your budget? I see you posted about getting a 2s last weekend. You'd be surprised how much power it makes on 2s compared to an NiMh battery. If you're dead set on getting 3s, you're probably looking at more money in upgrades than the initial cost of the car.

RC Qualifier
    All you really *need* is fan/heatsink on motor to keep it cool. There are plenty of things you can do in addition to that, such as getting a center diff to spread out the power better, or an esc fan to keep that cool (cause it will overheat on extended 3s runs).

You can also just gear down and not have to have fans at all, but you will go slower.

I run nothing but 3s and while I have made many mods to my truck, the fans were the only thing I had to do for the 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreary View Post
    What's your budget? I see you posted about getting a 2s last weekend. You'd be surprised how much power it makes on 2s compared to an NiMh battery. If you're dead set on getting 3s, you're probably looking at more money in upgrades than the initial cost of the car.
    In that case, I’ll prob just get a 2s then

Quote Originally Posted by halygon View Post
    All you really *need* is fan/heatsink on motor to keep it cool. There are plenty of things you can do in addition to that, such as getting a center diff to spread out the power better, or an esc fan to keep that cool (cause it will overheat on extended 3s runs).

You can also just gear down and not have to have fans at all, but you will go slower.

I run nothing but 3s and while I have made many mods to my truck, the fans were the only thing I had to do for the 3s.
    Were you able to run 3s with the stock Talons? Mine were shot within a week on 2s. I had Trenchers on it before I got the 3s.

In that case, Iíll prob just get a 2s then
    I wasn't trying to discourage you from getting 3s. I was just giving you a heads-up. I prefer 2s for bashing because of the runtime. 3s is a blast, but it will cost a lot more, in the long run.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-08-2021 at 02:26 AM. Reason: merge

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionSlash42 View Post
    I'd get stronger driveshafts, and shim the diffs. That's at least what other people have done.
    I dont actually have a MERV, but I've seen this stuff done to a bunch of'em.
    I recommend this as well.

I wasn't trying to discourage you from getting 3s. I was just giving you a heads-up. I prefer 2s for bashing because of the runtime. 3s is a blast, but it will cost a lot more, in the long run.
    Yea, I know. Iím only a teen so I canít buy everything.
    Maybe a 3s later on

RC Qualifier
    Were you able to run 3s with the stock Talons? Mine were shot within a week on 2s. I had Trenchers on it before I got the 3s.
    Yeah I still have stock talons. Did yours break from ballooning?

Quote Originally Posted by halygon View Post
    Yeah I still have stock talons. Did yours break from ballooning?
    I don't recall them ballooning. The rear beads kept breaking loose. After regluing them a few times, I ordered the Prolines. The sidewalls on the Talons were pretty torn up at that point.

I run both of my mervs on 3s and 2s. I donít have fans on my motors so Iím always making sure it doesnít get too hot when bashing or doing speed runs. I run 2.2 proline trenchers, a center diff with 20k weight diff oil, and two shims in the rear diff and itís been quite the beater! Even with the stock plastic driveshafts.

I have another Merv running 2.2 Proline Dirt Hawgs with the Titus beadlocks. I have a heatsink on the motor and ESC, but still make sure temps are good. Also running the Traxxas CVD driveshafts, center diff with 50k weight oil, and 2 shims in the rear diff.

Both cars take such a beating even on 3s, but my Merv with the CVDís keeps popping out the small pins/metal bars and itís pretty annoying haha.

These cars are totally different monsters on 3s and keep up with my ERevo 2.0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What does this do- Oh whoops I broke it