RC poster

E-maxx transmission

I'm either doing something wrong or they are extinct.... Anyone know where I can find a new or used transmission for the 6s E-maxx.... or even one that will interchange plz and ty

Quote Originally Posted by Calbalero View Post
    I'm either doing something wrong or they are extinct.... Anyone know where I can find a new or used transmission for the 6s E-maxx.... or even one that will interchange plz and ty
    The E-Maxx has been discontinued since right before they released the X-Maxx 6s in 2015. You can try looking at eBay and see if you can find something. Thereís not always E-Maxx stuff on eBay but youíll just have to check regularly.

For myself, Iím going to mod in an Erevo 2.0 tranny for my E-Maxx build that Iím working on. Still waiting for some parts to show up. I think you can also use a T-Maxx tranny, donít hold me to it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm just a noob

RC poster
    thank you.....I'll look into the e revo tranny ...tmaxx might work but would need some mods I think as it has a one way bearing...if someone else has more info that would be great I have 2 of the earlier tmaxx trannys

You can get a fully assembled Emaxx transmission in eBay. Just type in "1/10 BRUSHLESS E-REVO 2.0 VXL TRANSMISSION (factory Assembled Traxxas 86086-4"to see it. You can get replacement parts in Amazon. And, the only part that's hard to get is the motor mount. You can still get them, but don't be surprised if you have to make one.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

Hmm, this hobby is still much fun to me; especially regarding online research. I am now preparing to assemble another 3908 TRAXXAS BRUSHLESS E-MAXX transmission parts with a 1/8th scale sensored brushless combo .

The GRACE of my LORD (much greater than me) certainly declared what to do and all the parts were discovered. Hmm even again, ReglarGuy has affirmed this process despite all the other hindrances which are trying to delay and illuminate TRAXXAS' E-MAXX from those of us who like it.

This forum has been lots of fun again and again!! My thoughts are E-MAXX is still being recognized
    Last edited by maximum; 03-09-2021 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maximum View Post
    Hmm, this hobby is still much fun to me; especially regarding online research. I am now preparing to assemble another 3908 TRAXXAS BRUSHLESS E-MAXX transmission parts with a 1/8th scale sensored brushless combo .

The GRACE of my LORD (much greater than me) certainly declared what to do and all the parts were discovered. Hmm even again, ReglarGuy has affirmed this process despite all the other hindrances which are trying to delay and illuminate TRAXXAS' E-MAXX from those of us who like it.

This forum has been lots of fun again and again!! My thoughts are E-MAXX is still being recognized
    Here, here!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbalero View Post
    The traxxas summit trans should work, you need to remove the low and high gear shifter

A Summit trans won't fit on a Emaxx.

RC Qualifier
    I thought they where identical except for the gear shifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    A Summit trans won't fit on a Emaxx.
    I'm curious as to why? Especially when you said an Erevo transmission will fit an Emaxx (in post #4).

The Summit transmission is an Erevo v1 tranny with the second gear added.
    You can convert an Emaxx transmission into a summit transmission by adding part #3998

I thought the transmissions for all three, the Erevo, Emaxx, and Summit were all the same, minus the second gear for the summit and the shifting linkage.

I'm just a noob

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I'm curious as to why? Especially when you said an Erevo transmission will fit an Emaxx (in post #4).

The Summit transmission is an Erevo v1 tranny with the second gear added.
    You can convert an Emaxx transmission into a summit transmission by adding part #3998
    Yeah, that's weird, Grizzles. I looked up Emaxx transmissions by using "Emaxx Transmissions" as my key words, and got a picture of a transmission. From there, I "copied and pasted" the web page's title, because I couldn't get my computer to copy the "link."

The really weird thing is, I just assumed it was a Emaxx transmission. I can only tell you that I had a Summit (and I still have my Emaxx), and with having had both of these RC's, I can only tell you that (at the time I seen with my own two eyes) that those two transmissions weren't interchangeable with each other.

P.S. I'll take another look. Maybe something changed from the time I had a Summit, and now. Something's definitely weird.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-08-2021 at 04:16 AM.

The really weird thing is, I just assumed it was a Emaxx transmission. I can only tell you that I had a Summit (and I still have my Emaxx), and with having had both of these RC's, I can only tell you that (at the time I seen with my own two eyes) that those two transmissions weren't interchangeable with each other.

P.S. I'll take another look. Maybe something changed from the time I had a Summit, and now. Something's definitely weird.
    Check out the exploded views of each. They all use 3991X transmission cases (Erevo,Emaxx,Summit). If the cases between all three are the same they must fit each other. (Might want to see another eye doctor )

The first Emaxx (3906) that had the VX-12 esc was a two speed just like the Summit.

The difference between the Emaxx and Summit/Erevo is in the motor mounts.

Thanks for your above post. You saved me a lot of writing and some pictures. Basically, that's what I'm seeing too. I still have my Emaxx parts book that came with my Emaxx. I compared all its' transmission parts with the transmission parts of the Summit and the original E-Revo. It looks to me that even though the three transmissions aren't exactly the same, you could adapt a Summit/original E-Revo transmission to a Emaxx by changing motor mounts and by taking out a few parts.

If you wanted to make a Summit/original ERevo transmission out of a Emaxx transmission, you would want to change the motor mounts, and add a few things. Both doable (IMO). Back when I had both my Summit, and my Emaxx; I couldn't get my Summit transmission to fit and work right in my Emaxx. That's why I made my original comments. The only thing I can think of (as to why I had problems) was that I just barely got back into RC back then, and maybe I did something wrong. Now, for the record, though, I think both ways are doable with a little work.

P.S. (Might want to see another eye doctor ) That wasn't very nice. We should be trying to help each other, not make each other feel bad. I re-looked into this not to be a smarty-pants, Grizzles, but because it's up to all us Emaxx owners to help keep the Emaxx dream alive until Traxxas comes back to there senses, and starts producing this "Rolling Monument of Manly Preciousness" again.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-09-2021 at 04:43 AM.

Thanks for your above post. You saved me a lot of writing and some pictures. Basically, that's what I'm seeing too. I still have my Emaxx parts book that came with my Emaxx. I compared all its' transmission parts with the transmission parts of the Summit and the original E-Revo. It looks to me that even though the three transmissions aren't exactly the same, you could adapt a Summit/original E-Revo transmission to a Emaxx by changing motor mounts and by taking out a few parts.

If you wanted to make a Summit/original ERevo transmission out of a Emaxx transmission, you would want to change the motor mounts, and add a few things. Both doable (IMO). Back when I had both my Summit, and my Emaxx; I couldn't get my Summit transmission to fit and work right in my Emaxx. That's why I made my original comments. The only thing I can think of (as to why I had problems) was that I just barely got back into RC back then, and maybe I did something wrong. Now, for the record, though, I think both ways are doable with a little work.
    NO work needed.

Not sure why your making this more complicated than it is? All three transmissions are interchangeable.

Besides the Summit transmission being a two speed (which is a separate add-on option for the Emaxx) the Erevo and Emaxx are the same/ function the same without additional parts. The only modification needed would be if someone wanted to use the two speed of the Summit transmission on the fly. They would need to mount up a 3rd channel servo. (If not, a small piece of wire attached to the selector arm will hold it in either High or Low gear).

P.S. (Might want to see another eye doctor ) That wasn't very nice. We should be trying to help each other, not make each other feel bad. I re-looked into this not to be a smarty-pants, Grizzles, but because it's up to all us Emaxx owners to help keep the Emaxx dream alive until Traxxas comes back to there senses, and starts producing this "Rolling Monument of Manly Preciousness" again.
    Made the comment in jest because you said "I seen with my own two eyes those two transmissions weren't interchangeable ." Which now you know your eyes deceived you.

Not sure why your making this more complicated than it is? All three transmissions are interchangeable.
    Erevo and Emaxx are the same/function the same without additional parts.
    I was including the the different motor mounts, and the additional parts in the Summit transmissions as part of a vehicle's transmission. If a person builds the transmission they want from the ground up, you're right.

If a person takes a fully assembled E-Revo or Summit transmission and wants to turn it into an Emaxx transmission (or vise-a-versa), they have to change a few things (a little work needed). I said that because, I (IMO) consider the gears (in the Summit two speed), and the different motor mounts as part of a transmission. That's why I said "You could adapt a Summit/original E-Revo transmission to a Emaxx by changing motor mounts and by taking out a few parts."

Made the comment in jest.
    I'm glad you made the comment in jest, Grizzles. I see now that this little guy you used was winking at me. At first glance (at 3:30 in the morning), it looked like he was disgusted with me (I just seen his mouth not his wink). I was like, wow, I'm just trying to be helpful. Anyway, I'm glad that you were winking rather than disgusted. Thank you.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-09-2021 at 03:41 PM.

They use the same parts. They are the same transmissions. They have the same 4 bolt pattern. Look at the chassis/transmission exploded views for both the Emaxx 3908 brushless and the Erevo 5608 brushless. Thereís no way around it, they are the same.

The only difference is how the motor mounts to the transmissions, the motor plates used, and the gear covers. Thatís it.

Not to mention I just put the 2.0 Erevo transmission into my Emaxx 3908 build, and I only had to sand down some of the chassis to allow the center diff through. It bolted right up, the Cush drive spur fits into the spur recess with no issues. Iíve ran the truck through 2 sets of 4s and 6s lipos, runs way better than I could have hoped for.

I'm just a noob

Yep, that's what Grizzles and I are basically saying too.

Yep, that's what Grizzles and I are basically saying too.
    Your still making it confusing and complicated with your wording of "need to change a few things" and "a little work needed".

Rocketzx1 and I are saying the three transmission are interchangeable, answering the question of this thread. No excess work needed (past motor mount). No parts need to be removed or the need to "change a few things."

The single thing that needs to be done:
    The one part which is an external add on to the transmission cases that is different is the motor mount. If you put an Emaxx motor mount on any of the three transmissions they can be used as-is with no fuss.

Not sure why your trying to reiterate more needs to be done?

If someone wants to turn a Summit transmission into a stock single speed Emaxx transmission then the two-speed parts would need to be changed. If someone uses a Summit transmission in the older Emaxx's that where two-speed it would be the same as stock in those models. Also using the Summit transmission in a stock single-speed Emaxx is considered an optional accessory, where the optional part#3998 gears are already installed.
    Now if someone uses an Erevo v1 transmission it is the same as the stock single-speed Emaxx transmission. Nothing needs to be changed.

Your still making it confusing and complicated with your wording of "need to change a few things" and "a little work needed."

Now Grizzles, don't go getting yousself all confused. (lol) We're both saying the same thing in my #16 and your #19.

Rocketzx1 and I are saying the three transmission are interchangeable, answering the question of this thread. No excess work needed (past motor mount). No parts need to be removed or the need to "change a few things."
    Yep, I'm glad that we agree. If you have the three transmissions without motor mounts or the extra gears (that are in a Summit transmission), they all three are the same.

I said that in #16 by saying "If a person builds the transmission they want from the ground up, you're right."

Think of it for a second. A person isn't going to want to build a standard stock Emaxx Transmission, and put in the extra Summit gears and motor mount, and then have to take them back off to put on a Emaxx motor mount for a standard stock Emaxx transmission...that would be silly. They will have to take these different components off (do a little work) though, if they want to take out a fully assembled Summit or E-Revo transmission, and put it in their Emaxx...thus, a little fuss.

The single thing that needs to be done:
    The one part which is an external add on to the transmission cases that is different is the motor mount. If you put an Emaxx motor mount on any of the three transmissions they can be used as-is with no fuss.
    Our problem here isn't that we don't agree. Our problem is that you don't consider the motor mount as part of the transmission, and I do. I'm perfectly okay with you thinking that, but here we all (LHS and friends) consider the motor mount of a Emaxx to be a part of the Emaxx transmission...it must be a geographic thing. (lol)

Not sure why your trying to reiterate more needs to be done?
    It all depends on what a person thinks is included in a transmission assembly.

If someone wants to turn a Summit transmission into a stock single speed Emaxx transmission then the two-speed parts would need to be changed. If someone uses a Summit transmission in the older Emaxx's that where two-speed it would be the same as stock in those models. Also using the Summit transmission in a stock single-speed Emaxx is considered an optional accessory, where the optional part#3998 gears are already installed.
    Now if someone uses an Erevo v1 transmission it is the same as the stock single-speed Emaxx transmission. Nothing needs to be changed.
    I agree, and said so in #16

In the end (with our discussion), it all depends on what a person thinks is (should be) included in a transmission. I think the motor mount should be included along with any extra gears, and you don't...cool. For me, though, the most important thing I want to take away from here is that I can still get transmission parts for my Emaxx transmission. The rest (IMO) is...is it a tomato or a tomotto. I'm good either way as long as I can get parts for my beloved Emaxx.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-11-2021 at 07:34 AM.

P.S. While I was looking up and comparing Emaxx to Summit transmission parts, I noticed that you can get the Emaxx single motor mounts from Traxxas again. A while back, someone asked where he could get one, because Traxxas didn't list them in their website anymore. Back then, I looked too, and seen the same thing. They seem to be back now...just thought I'd mention it.

P.S.S.
    The part number 3997x for $4.50 (now their 10 bucks) is the Emaxx Brushless Edition motor mount listed under Transmission Components in my parts book...just throwing it out there.

P.S.S.
    The part number 3997x for $4.50 (now their 10 bucks) is the Emaxx Brushless Edition motor mount listed under Transmission Components in my parts book...just throwing it out there.

Your still making it confusing. The motor mount is NOT listed under Transmission Components in your book.
    Don't confuse Part#3977 with #3997.

You should re-read your book and the parts listing you just posted. Under Transmission Components the part # your showing for $4.50 is the gear cover, NOT the motor mount. Part# 3977X is replaced with #3997R and is still $4.50.

If you look under the listing Motor & Electronics you will see the motor mount part# 3997X which is the motor plate.

Using the Emaxx parts listing (directly from Traxxas) you can see the Motor Mount is not listed under Transmission Components. Which too me, it is not considered a transmission component.

You're still making it confusing.
    To you, but not to me. Like I said, I'm saying tomato, and you're saying tomotto.

The motor mount is NOT listed under Transmission Components in your book.
    Yes it is. If you want I'll highlight it, and retake the picture to post it.

You got me by the zippies on that one...has to be a typing error.

You should re-read your book and the parts listing you just posted. Under Transmission Components the part # your showing for $4.50 is the gear cover, NOT the motor mount. Part# 3977X is replaced with #3997R and is still $4.50.
    I see both part numbers there listed in my little picture under "Transmission Components" 3997R and 3397X. When I looked them both up 3997R was the gear cover, and 3997X was the motor plate. I commented on 3997X

P.S.S.

Grizzles, I'm the kind of guy that doesn't care if someone squeezes the toothpaste from the top or the bottom of the tube. I just want to brush my teeth. In the end, you explain things your way, and I'll explain things my way. You are less confused explaining things your way, and I'm less confused explaining things my way...tomatoes/tomotoes, bottom of the tube/top of the tube, toilet paper on the inside/toilet paper on the outside...must I go on. (lol)
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-12-2021 at 05:07 AM.

The motor mount is NOT listed under Transmission Components in your book.
    Yes it is. If you want I'll highlight it, and retake the picture to post it.
    Yes please do.

The only place i see (or have read) where the Part# 3997x motor plate is listed, is under the Motors & Electronics.

Now if you look under part #3977x gear cover, it says to "use with motor plate 3997x." But that still doesn't list it under Transmission components as a part. It is commented on because it's telling what the gear cover part fits. So someone doesn't make a mistake and order the wrong cover.
    Again part #3997x is not listed as a part under Transmission components. Please highlight it with its corresponding price listed.

I see both part numbers there listed in my little picture under "Transmission Components" 3997R and 3397X. When I looked them both up 3997R was the gear cover, and 3997X was the motor plate. I commented on 3997X
    Again please re-read your parts list and your little picture. Your getting your part #'s mixed up. You did comment on part #3997x saying it was $4.50 and is now $10. But that is wrong. Please highlight it in your parts list showing it at $4.50.

Also not sure where you got #3997R and 3397X from? I don't see them in your picture. I only see #3977 and #3977X.

Grizzles, I'm the kind of guy that doesn't care if someone squeezes the toothpaste from the top or the bottom of the tube. I just want to brush my teeth. In the end, you explain things your way, and I'll explain things my way. You are less confused explaining things your way, and I'm less confused explaining things my way...tomatoes/tomotoes, bottom of the tube/top of the tube, toilet paper on the inside/toilet paper on the outside...must I go on. (lol)
    I agree.
    Everyone is different, and as such everyone has a different way of doing things. But everyone should have their facts straight when commenting on something in front of them. I don't care if you think the motor plate is part of the transmission. That's irrelevant to part #'s and where they are listed in the parts list.

I care about false statements. Arguing the fact that part #3997X is listed under the Transmission Components as a part listing is totally false!

I am glad that you see now that all three transmissions are interchangeable. Because saying one won't work because of a motor mount (motor plate) is foolish in my opinion. If someone is looking for a transmission that will work (interchange) I think they would also be OK with getting the proper Emaxx motor mount. Different models that share the same parts is a good thing that keeps these vehicles alive from extinction. So if another assembly from a different vehicle can work the same, it is a Win-Win in my book.

Might want to see another eye doctor.
    Dah, I got to get my eyes check. (lol) I see the difference between the two numbers now.

Now if you look under part #3977x gear cover, it says to "use with motor plate 3997x." But, that still doesn't list it under "Transmission Components" as a part. It is commented on because it's telling what the gear cover part fits.
    I see what your are saying, but that motor mount's part number is still a part of and listed under Transmission Components. It's also (like you say), listed in "Motor and Electronics." You prefer to not include it as part of the Transmission Assembly, because you are using Motor and Electronics, and I choose to include it as part of the transmission Assembly, because I am using Transmission Components. You think you're being more factual/I think I'm being more factual...tomato/tomotto, bottom of the tube/top of the tube, toilet paper on the inside/toilet paper on the outside, Mary-Ann or Ginger...must I go on. (lol)

I am glad that you see now that all three transmissions are interchangeable.
    I agree that all the parts of the transmissions of a Emaxx, Summit, and E-Revo are the same, except for the motor mounts, and the extra gears in the Summit.

Different models that share the same parts is a good thing that keeps these vehicles alive from extinction. So if another assembly from a different vehicle can work the same, it is a Win-Win in my book.
    Yep, I agree, and said so back at #20 (below).

In the end (with our discussion), it all depends on what a person thinks is (should be) included in a transmission. I think the motor mount should be included along with any extra gears, and you don't...cool. For me, though, the most important thing I want to take away from here is that I can still get transmission parts for my Emaxx transmission. The rest (IMO) is...is it a tomato or a tomotto. I'm good either way as long as I can get parts for my beloved Emaxx.
    This is how a lot of Emaxx transmissions come when a person wants an assembled Emaxx transmission (picture from a parts website).

This is how a lot of Summit transmissions come when a person wants an assembled Emaxx transmission (picture from a parts website).

Your way is perfect for a person who wants to build their own transmissions from the ground up, and mine is perfect (not only those who want to build their own transmissions from the ground up), but also for people who want to buy fully assembled transmissions.

Your way may be less complicated, but my way is more complete, to cover both situations. You say, less complicated. I say more complete.

Please, don't make me say "Tomato/tomotto, bottom of the tube/top of the tube, toilet paper on the inside/toilet paper on the outside, Mary-Ann or Ginger" again. Ooops, now look what you made me go and do. (lol)
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-13-2021 at 02:42 AM.

P.S. Even though I got a little confused with you using 3977X and 3997X, I knew that one P/N (on my little picture) was for the motor plate, and the other was for the gear cover. As I looked up the 3997X part number in the Traxxas parts web page, I seen 3977R rather than 3977X also listed with P/N 3997X . So, when you used (and it's on my picture too) 3977X and 3997X instead of 3977R and 3997X, all I seen was the "X" and I was looking for "X" or "R." Anyway, that's how I got confused, and thanks for your help on that...you've heard of a tongue twister, that was a eyeball twister. (lol)

I see what your are saying, but that motor mount's part number is still a part of and listed under Transmission Components.
    Here is a picture of the motor plate highlighted under the Transmission Components. (I thought you were going to post one up.)

Not sure how the motor plate is part of #3997R. It says to use with cover #3977R with that specific motor plate. NOT that it is included with or listed as a component.

IF it was considered a Transmission component why is it not also listed as needed for #3997A gear cover.
    OR why is it not listed as a seperate component with a price listing?
    Or why are the other motor plates not listed?

Also do you have a link where these Emaxx transmissions are being sold with the motor mount plate attached?
    You showed a picture from a parts website but not where from. It would help those that want a drop in solution with no work needed, right?
    (Jenny RC and Ebay listings don't have a motor plate attached, it would be nice to have a source like the parts website you posted)

I noticed that Traxxas does sell (started to sell) a complete transmission for the new Erevo 2.0 and Summit complete with a motor mount (The only two electric models available). It would be great if they offered one for an Emaxx. Instead everyone has to go the interchange route. Or build one.

Your right in that each can have there own opinion of what is considered part of, or should be included. Everything you find from chop shops split them up. If you find a complete transmission with the motor plate attached it's on Ebay and it's used.

[QUOTE=grizzly03;6585119]Here is a picture of the motor plate highlighted under the Transmission Components. (I thought you were going to post one up.)

Thanks for doing that. I was going to make copy of that page, mark it with a highlighter, take a picture of it, and then post it. I'm not as computer savvy as you are my friend. (lol) I'm having to be at work early for the next couple of days, so I'll write more for you later.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-16-2021 at 04:21 AM.