RC Qualifier

Did I ruin or greatly reduce my battery’s health?

Sure, these little 5-cell 6V 1200mah NiMH receiver packs for the electronics on my Revo 3.3 are fairly inexpensive but did I hurt my two batteries when I finally realized that my Dynamite Passport Mini charger wasn’t designed to charge batteries that were less than 6 cells?

I still have the original blue receiver battery that came with my truck well over 12 years ago when I bought it and even though throughout the years it wasn’t charged for long periods of time whenever the truck was in storage but, it still works, it still holds a decent charge without issues despite its age and even though it won’t last as long as my pretty much brand new RX battery that I bought last year, should I consider replacing these two batteries since there was quite a few times where I used this Dynamite charger to charge them, and even used the built in discharger a few times to cycle them?

I guess primarily the reason I ask is because someday, I plan to put the telemetry on the truck for gps, engine temp and tack and I’m just wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get a new battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Anybody?

RC Enthusiast
    I am not sure if you have damaged the batteries or not .... NIMH are charged by pushing amps in until the battery will not accept anymore - the charger circuitry controls that cycle. When I have charged NIMH, there is no voltage to set - only amps.
    However, with a nitro rig, if you lose the receiver battery, the rig will run away - any fail safes you have set-up (to pull throttle to idle or apply brakes) will not work if the receiver battery dies. For peace of mind, if it was me, I would replace the older battery.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by donnie533 View Post
    I am not sure if you have damaged the batteries or not .... NIMH are charged by pushing amps in until the battery will not accept anymore - the charger circuitry controls that cycle. When I have charged NIMH, there is no voltage to set - only amps.
    However, with a nitro rig, if you lose the receiver battery, the rig will run away - any fail safes you have set-up (to pull throttle to idle or apply brakes) will not work if the receiver battery dies. For peace of mind, if it was me, I would replace the older battery.
    Yeah, you make a good point since nickel metal hydride batteries are not like the Lipo batteries where you have to pay attention to each cell’s voltage but I don’t know, I just figured that there was some kind of a reason for whenever you buy a charger and if it says that for pretty much all battery types that it’s only been designed for a certain amount of cells that if you tried to go over or under the amount of individual cells that it wasn’t good.

But yeah, I probably will retire that old battery just because of how old it is and as far as whether or not my new battery that I bought almost a year ago is actually damaged or not, it doesn’t seem to be because it still holds a pretty good charge but at least one thing about it though, I think it was a wise decision I made to upgrade my receiver and my radio to the same digital technology radio and receiver that they sell with all their other stuff brand new right now and I did notice that this new receiver has a failsafe that whenever you have a loose connection in the battery or if the battery voltage gets down to a certain point, it will let go of the throttle so hopefully if that happens, there won’t be anything in the way for it to run into as it coasts to a stop.

Luckily when it happened the first time, I wasn’t going fast at all, I just noticed that all the sudden the motor went back down to an idle and I couldn’t control the speed of the engine but at least, I don’t think if the battery was to die or go down to a certain voltage and if it did it at the right time when the car was in full throttle that it’ll keep it in full throttle. I think the new receiver is designed to at least let go of the throttle And if it ever does hit anything, it’ll have slowed down a tiny bit… LOL

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah the fail safes are great if the receiver loses connection with the transmitter. But it does rely on the receiver battery to provide enough power to the throttle servo to return to failsafe position. If the receiver battery fails quickly or there is a loose battery connection, the throttle servo will stay in whatever position it is in.
    I look at failsafes as protection against loss of transmitter signal only (low transmitter battery or signal interference).

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by donnie533 View Post
    Yeah the fail safes are great if the receiver loses connection with the transmitter. But it does rely on the receiver battery to provide enough power to the throttle servo to return to failsafe position. If the receiver battery fails quickly or there is a loose battery connection, the throttle servo will stay in whatever position it is in.
    I look at failsafes as protection against loss of transmitter signal only (low transmitter battery or signal interference).
    Well yeah, that’s true, I didn’t think about that but I would hope that the new modernized receiver would be programmed well enough to be able to monitor the voltage close enough so where when the voltage comes down to a certain safe point- it would still have enough of a charge to automatically release the throttle, kinda like the low-voltage protection in electric cars that run Lipos, so you don’t ruin the batteries.

RC Qualifier
    But of course, the Traxxas rep that I just got done talking to said that a fully charged battery and safe driving practice need to be observed but he said there is a low voltage cut off so hopefully as long as the battery is in good health, the failsafe should kick in long before the battery gets low enough to where it can’t control anything.