RC poster

9.6 volt NiCd battery pack

I need some knowledge about an old truck I put up up a long time ago. It uses a 9.6 V
    Battery pack with 8 aa size batteries. Instead of going back with NiCd, would I be better
    Off and will my motor run on a more modern battery pack. And can I just get someone like
    interstate Battery to make me a new pack with my
    Old connector?

The biggest issue you'll have running off of a new pack, like a LIPO, is available amperage. Those NiCD packs had a pretty low amperage discharge rate, so the engineers didn't really worry about current protection. Without current protection with a newer pack the motor/ESC could draw enough amperage to fry themselves. At most I would go with NiMH, but that might have too much capacity for that RC.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

+1 go NIMH, but if you could fit a C cell pack of 6 batts you would get a lot less amperage drop under load and probably more Mah the better. I see 2700mah packs with Tamaya connectors... That would be a big step up compared to 8 AA cells as far as performance and run time. But can it fit?

You probably will need a new charger or check your charger to ensure it will support NIMH batts before you buy...
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Champion
    I'm curious if the OP is talking about a (flat style) battery pack like for non-hobby grade RC's? Tyco possibly?

If so, Mighty Max Battery makes a more modern one.
    https://www.mightymaxbattery.com/sho...-tyco-rc-cars/