RC poster

Rustler 2wd Velineon & Battery Upgrade

Hi - sorry if this is a real newbie question..

I have a Rustler XL 5 2WD that I've just upgraded with the Velineon VXL3 power system, but the old 7 cell hump 8.4V NiMH 5000mah battery is no longer holding its charge and probably doesn't suit this motor configuration...

So the question is which (presumably LiPo?) battery is a good high performance upgrade option given the mixed use terrain (not just road) that the car is used on? I appreciate that switching to LiPo would require an appropriate new charger also.

I hear that the 2 cell LiPo's are best on road only.. is that right?

Also, is the Traxxas 5000mAh 14.8V 4S 25C LiPo compatible with the Velineon set up?

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere as I'm new to this and working out how best to navigate the forum.
    Thanks for any help! Alvin

Welcome to Traxxas Forums!!

I have only run the Traxxas 2s 25C 5800mah LiPos so far, but if I were to get more, I would probably choose SMC LiPos:

2s: https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php...product_id=640

3s: https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php...product_id=641

And you will need a LiPo compatible charger to charge them if you have a NiMH-only charger.

The Velineon system can take both 2s and 3s LiPos, but many people have had overheating issues on 3s, so some people just stick to 2s to avoid any heat issues. If you are running on road, I don't think running 3s would be a problem if you gear down a tooth or two on the pinion gear. Overheating issues only really start to come up when driving offroad and in grass.

The Traxxas 4s LiPos are not compatible with the Velineon setup (any 4s LiPos are not compatible), since the most it can take is 3s.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster
    Thanks RCWilly. Really helpful. I'll try and find UK based suppliers of similar spec 2 or 3 cell LiPo's.

I'm assuming that the EZ Peak plus 4amp charger will do the trick?
    Last edited by Alvin; 03-18-2021 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Thanks RCWilly. Really helpful. I'll try and find UK based suppliers of similar spec 2 or 3 cell LiPo's.

I'm assuming that the EZ Peak plus 4amp charger will do the trick?
    For LiPo specs, high discharge batteries (like 135C) are not required. The reason that I posted the links above is that SMC LiPos are much more affordable compared to other LiPos of the same specs, so if 100+C LiPos are too expensive from brands available in your area, any 50C LiPo should be enough for the Velineon system. (popular brands include: Gens Ace,

As for the EZ Peak Plus charger, it's intended to use with the Traxxas ID batteries (automatically selects battery chemistry, charge rate, etc), so you have to disable the smart function every time you charge non-Traxxas ID batteries. It might be more cost-effective to go with a universal charger since you won't have to pay for extra functions.

If you want to know more about discharge rates and how to determine the optimal battery specs for a specific ESC, you can continue reading, but if you are not interested, you can just skip the rest or refer back to it in the future when you need it. Here's a post I did a while back on discharge rates and capacity:

Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Generally speaking, the higher (discharge rate) the better, but once you clear the max amperage the ESC needs, higher C ratings don't do much more. The discharge rate also depends on the capacity (mah) of the battery, and the larger the capacity, the higher the discharge rate. To calculate the discharge rate (amps), multiply the C-rating by the amp-hour of the battery:
    C-rate x mah/1000 = amps

For example, a 25C 5800mah LiPo has 25C x 5.8ah = 145 amps; a 50C 5000mah LiPo has 50C x 5ah = 250 amps

To determine whether the discharge rate of the battery is sufficient for your ESC, first, check the ESC's continuous current. The discharge rate of the battery should be 20% to 30% higher than the continuous current of the ESC (acts as a buffer).

For example, the Hobbywing Max10 SCT ESC has a continuous current of 120 amps, and you are planning on using a 25C 5800mah LiPo. The discharge rate of the LiPo is 145 amps (calculated above), so 145/120 is roughly 1.21, or about 21% higher. 21% clears the 20% the battery won't be limiting the ESC in terms of current supply.

Note: Voltage does not affect the discharge rate, so 2s, 3s, or any cell LiPos with the same capacity and C-rating have the same discharge rate.
    As for charging LiPos, charge 1 amp for every 1000mah of battery capacity. In other words, if the battery is 5800mah, the max charge current is 5.8 amps, and if the charger can only do whole numbers, round down to 5 amps (6 amps is too much for the battery).

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by RCWilly; 03-18-2021 at 01:19 PM.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Competitor
    Back when I was really into RC's I had a 2wd Rustler and the VXL system 2s lipo at around 40 - 50C seemed to be the best all round battery, when I ran 3s I had to gear way down for my type of driving and well I found it was only good for speed runs, even 18/86 gearing on 3s on the VXL was a bit toasty at 165 to 175F with a mix of pavement and rock and dirt after about 20min of flooring it. Definitely doable with more throttle control.

23/86 gearing my rustler on 2s was still impressive speed wise (not ground breaking speeds of course) and kept the motor just under 160f.

I feel that 2s is more of an all around perfect battery for them 2wd's. 3s can get crazy and hard to control, and things do break from the power of 3s.

I got back into RC's and I bought a 2wd slash off my brother, and at the moment, I run a 3s at 23/90 gearing and its hard to keep the front end down and the thing straight with the wind gusts we've been having lately, I will be ordering a 2s battery later on for what I do with it anyway.

But I personally just don't care to get the most speed, but I do like to keep my RC's around 30 35mph just to get that wow factor from people who never thought they could go that fast, most of the time I'm kicking up dirt or drifting around. Everyone's driving style is different.