RC poster

On the fence over a Hoss purchase.

I have watched many videos and read reviews about the Hoss and I am undecided as weather or not to purchase.

1 Most reviews complain that the shocks should be metal instead of plastic.
    2 The steering servo should of be a metal gear type not plastic gear.
    3 The chassis is shorter than most of the reviewers expected.
    4 The price is so close to a MAXX , why not just purchase the MAXX.
    5 The Hoss seems to rely on the wheelie bar too much at high speed on smooth surfaces. The front end almost always tries to come up.
    6 It could be a little wider.

It does have great power, handling is pretty good. Just don't want to spend $500.00 (with tax) on a truck that is going to keep busy doing repairs instead of maintenance.
    I plan on purchasing this weekend. Stampede 4X4 VXL, Hoss, or Maxx ?? Decisions decisions decisions !!!

RC Champion
    I would spend the extra money on the Maxx. It handles much better, Is more durable, and you can get the aftermarket wide kit for it Which helps the stability and handling even more. In the end, the Maxx will cost you less money because of fewer repairs.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    I would spend the extra money on the Maxx. It handles much better, Is more durable, and you can get the aftermarket wide kit for it Which helps the stability and handling even more. In the end, the Maxx will cost you less money because of fewer repairs.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I agree with all of this except for the handling. If you want good handling you will want the wideMAXX kit
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Bandit XL-5 Just Gonna Send It!!

If you have the money for the maxx, I'd skip the hoss and start with the maxx. Then upgrade as you need to to support how you drive. The hoss is a partially updated stampede 4x4. The maxx is a lot newer platform and built a bit better.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

I have both Maxx with the wide kit on it and a Hoss that I have stuck some money into. The Maxx is definitely a fun truck not doubt! However My Hoss now that I have the GTR springs in it handles like a dream. Only reason I replaced shock is because the 2nd run out with it I launched it and came down on the left front tire and bent the shock. I personally like that it lifts up the front end. That can be controlled a little by easing the throttle a little. I can get my Maxx that is stock except the wide kit to lift just as easy. But it's your money, Do what feels right to you. But keep in mind that to get full potential out of the Maxx you need to buy 4s Batteries which also cost more.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomcher144 View Post
    I have watched many videos and read reviews about the Hoss and I am undecided as weather or not to purchase.

1 Most reviews complain that the shocks should be metal instead of plastic.
    2 The steering servo should of be a metal gear type not plastic gear.
    3 The chassis is shorter than most of the reviewers expected.
    4 The price is so close to a MAXX , why not just purchase the MAXX.
    5 The Hoss seems to rely on the wheelie bar too much at high speed on smooth surfaces. The front end almost always tries to come up.
    6 It could be a little wider.

It does have great power, handling is pretty good. Just don't want to spend $500.00 (with tax) on a truck that is going to keep busy doing repairs instead of maintenance.
    I plan on purchasing this weekend. Stampede 4X4 VXL, Hoss, or Maxx ?? Decisions decisions decisions !!!
    I was in the same spot you were in, and I went with the Hoss. I love my Hoss, all it really needs is sway bars, GTR shocks, and a stronger servo...maybe the new cvds Traxxas makes too, but that said, a lot of people complain about the plastic axles. I honestly never broke one, I used the self righting feature a lot and done a ton of ollies, front flips, and back flips, I just put the metal cvds on to really complete the build. I also have a wideMaxx and it is one awesome truck. I really think its my favorite RC I own, so much that I ordered the X Maxx. All that said, I do find myself using the Hoss more...but the Maxx is most likely the better buy in my opinion...the Hoss just needs a few 100 dollars put into it. I honestly think the Hoss is priced right for what u get compared to a Rustler 4x4 vxl (witch I also own). It hurts me so say Maxx is the better buy since I love my Hoss so much. A lot of people wrote the Hoss off, but it is a special truck that's got a special spot in my heart.

RC poster
    I got the Hoss 2 months ago and after a week the servo went and now after 2 months the motor is out of it , the rear bearing let go in it , not impressed .

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by marucci87 View Post
    I was in the same spot you were in, and I went with the Hoss. I love my Hoss, all it really needs is sway bars, GTR shocks, and a stronger servo...maybe the new cvds Traxxas makes too, but that said, a lot of people complain about the plastic axles. I honestly never broke one, I used the self righting feature a lot and done a ton of ollies, front flips, and back flips, I just put the metal cvds on to really complete the build. I also have a wideMaxx and it is one awesome truck. I really think its my favorite RC I own, so much that I ordered the X Maxx. All that said, I do find myself using the Hoss more...but the Maxx is most likely the better buy in my opinion...the Hoss just needs a few 100 dollars put into it. I honestly think the Hoss is priced right for what u get compared to a Rustler 4x4 vxl (witch I also own). It hurts me so say Maxx is the better buy since I love my Hoss so much. A lot of people wrote the Hoss off, but it is a special truck that's got a special spot in my heart.
    Thanks for your comment.
    I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Hoss. I like the Maxx, but by the time I purchase the batteries, duel charger, and the sales tax I will be way too close to that $1K mark and I just can't justify spending that much on the Max. The batteries are quite pricey. The Hoss with two batteries, duel charger, wide kit, and sales tax would be around $575.00 + / -.
    I currently own a Stampede 4X4 that my 6 year old grandson drives in training mode, a 1/16 scale Slash 4X4 that his three year old brother is learning to drive, so "Poppy" needs a toy to drive with them. Eventually we will be headed to the local ( 20 miles away) RC park once our skill levels improve. I haven't driven an RC car since the "Lunch Box" was popular ! LOL

RC poster
    Well so much for getting a Hoss !
    My son came with me and talked me into a MAXX and than paid for it ! Combo Fathers day / Birthday present from him and his wife !
    No time to play tonight, so I will report on how I am doing with it soon !!
    PS he is also going to purchase a MAXX for himself, after he beats on mine for a while .

RC poster
    The Maxx in full power mode was way tooooooooooo much for my 50" X 60" back yard! Training mode made it a little more controllable. Can't wait to get where I have more room !

What a good son... congrars on raising him well!

Happy birthday and have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Enthusiast
    congrats!! I think your son pushed you into a great RC, it really is a powerful machine. I put the wide kit on mine along with the Traxxas metal cvds too. I really don't plan on doing anything else to mine. Do you think you will install the wide kit? It handles amazing and looks so good with the wide kit. When I bought mine I didn't even run it stock...I installed the wide kit before my first run...I think it looks so good with the wide kit. What color did you get? I got the Solar flare edition then I got the red body since I'm scared to scratch it. I also got a new RC yesterday...my XMaxx came via UPS. Sounds like we both had a great weekend getting new toys, enjoy the Maxx!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Traxxas just lowered the price of the Hoss to $450, and the Maxx needs the wide kit which is another $50 so it's really a $600 truck. Both are overpriced compared to the competition and have plastic parts instead of metal.

The Maxx is more durable out of the box, but the Hoss handles better, is $150 cheaper, and once you go 4S it's significantly faster. So it comes down to which you prefer.

RC Racer
    My question is go for the hoss or the rustler 4x4 vxl? This will be for my 14 yo son to get his butt outside and away from his video game habbit!
    I already have 2 6500 2s lipos which im guessing would be faster in the rustler. I also have a cc sidewinder esc/3800 4 pole motor.
    He has a hobao shortcourse truck now which hits about 35mph. Myself im gonna pick up a maxx and run 3s or 4s.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cableman View Post
    My question is go for the hoss or the rustler 4x4 vxl? This will be for my 14 yo son to get his butt outside and away from his video game habbit!
    I already have 2 6500 2s lipos which im guessing would be faster in the rustler. I also have a cc sidewinder esc/3800 4 pole motor.
    He has a hobao shortcourse truck now which hits about 35mph. Myself im gonna pick up a maxx and run 3s or 4s.
    It depends on which driving style you prefer, handling vs wheelies/backflips. The Rustler will be the more stable platform at speed, my Rustler 4x4 can turn full speed at 55mph+ without rolling over on pavement. The Hoss will be better at doing wheelies and backflips.

If you're worried that the Hoss will be slower, just gear up.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude074 View Post
    It depends on which driving style you prefer, handling vs wheelies/backflips. The Rustler will be the more stable platform at speed, my Rustler 4x4 can turn full speed at 55mph+ without rolling over on pavement. The Hoss will be better at doing wheelies and backflips.

If you're worried that the Hoss will be slower, just gear up.
    Thanks Would the castle esc/3800kv motor be a better setup to run in the rustler?
    :Edit, just did some reading on best esc/motor in the rusty thread.
    Last edited by cableman; 04-15-2021 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cableman View Post
    Thanks Would the castle esc/3800kv motor be a better setup to run in the rustler?
    :Edit, just did some reading on best esc/motor in the rusty thread.
    From what I read, the castle sct sv3/3800kv combo wasn't great for 3S use. You'd likely be better off getting a 3665-3670 ~3000kv motor and either sticking with the vxl-3s esc or throwing a max10 sct in it.

I ran the max10 sct and hobbystar 3665/3100kv combo in my stampede 4x4 for a while. Wasn't quite enough power for the constant grass running I do at speeds I wanted, but it's great in my econverted jato.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss