Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Trailer progress is slow and steady..waiting on axle..

Shocks and suspension links are here.

Ordered a metal front bumper brace..kind of skeptical the factory plastic will hold up for any length of time.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    The width of the tent worked out great..same as bed rails side to side with cover on.

RC Racer
    Wow - if it's hot, then it can be hotter

Man, your creativity keeps surprise me, it's begin insane !

(don't tell us, next step is to bring kent and barbie to the party ... heheheheheh )
    Last edited by Bach; 04-12-2021 at 09:08 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Nice! Thatís worked out really well with the tent - very neat indeed! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bach View Post
    (don't tell us, next step is to bring ken and barbie to the party ... heheheheheh )
    [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

RC Qualifier
    Hahaha..Bach!

No action figures here..lol

Thank you Steeeve..
    The frame had 4 pre-molded holes in it that actually lined up perfect with the SPORT bed rails and allowed for a much more streamlined install...it is actually supposed to sit side to side instead of front to back..
    I really didn't like the overhang when it sat side to side plus it would have required me to make a mounting base to attach the tent frame to the truck as it was designed for a flat roof install..having it perched and mounted on the bed rails also eliminated any interference with the body posts and clips [emoji106]
    Functions well..only a minute or two to set up and take down but in essence it will rarely get any use..the bed on the SPORTS are so shallow it renders them useless so at least this way the trailer 'looks' like it has a function... [emoji38]

No action figures....already hearing it from the wife as it is!

RC Racer
    Selling .... what is selling ?

There is no sell button on usual webpages. Only see 'buy' buttons and just know how to push it on

RC Qualifier
    Haha, erm I have no idea what you mean...!

To be fair theyíre not all mine... Half are my sonís (although the beer and gin is all mine!!). Need more space for the TRX-4s now!! [emoji23]

RC Qualifier
    She might have a point...NAHH!!!

[emoji3061]

RC Qualifier
    Told her I would make a deal..
    You get rid of some shoes and I'll get rid of some RC's...lol

I still have the RC's[emoji23]

RC Qualifier
    Haha thatís brilliant (and brave!). Thatís quite an RC collection! [emoji41]

RC Qualifier
    Now that I kept the 1.9's on the 2.2 wheels I don't have a rig to put these on [emoji3061]

RC Qualifier
    Gotta love when a plan comes together..crossed what I think will be the last major hurdle on this trailer build..only thing left is tackling my hitch and coupler setup. [emoji106]

Suspension links, shocks and axle all installed and functions great!
    As much articulation as the tow rig.

Had a ragged camp chair so I took the tag off of that and my wife and her handy skills attached it to the tent cover.

Project is slowly wrapping up..just some fine touches on trim, final adjustments and mount tool box on frame in front of spare tire..
    Don't think I could have done anything different to get to this point..very time and labor intensive and can see why a ready made trailer cost what it does.

Last edited by radio uncontrol; 04-14-2021 at 04:39 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Couple more shots..

RC Qualifier
    Full tilt..left and right

RC Racer
    Wow, this is a high performance deluxe trailer !

One day you could even motorized it a little bit - and it would became a 2x2 self trailing trailer

RC Qualifier
    This is probably the hitch setup I will use.

Ball end so I can get articulation there also

RC Qualifier
    Wow, this is a high performance deluxe trailer !

One day you could even motorized it a little bit - and it would became a 2x2 self trailing trailer

Lololol..
    Maybe I can get on youtube and post a trailer for the upcoming self trailering trailer video [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

RC Qualifier
    I either have to turn the rear bumper bracket upside down or trim the rear around the bumper shafts..
    Bumper is still shipping. [emoji45]

RC Qualifier
    Nice! Thatís turned out really well. A lot of work for sure but worth it to get something unique. Love it! [emoji106]

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeeve View Post
    Nice! That’s turned out really well. A lot of work for sure but worth it to get something unique. Love it! [emoji106]

Thank you Steeeve, much appreciated!

Once the final parts and pieces were installed I did have to notch the front of the trailer for the frame rails to get the body to sit were it needed to be..ride height was too high without the notch..
    Actually worked out good as it hid more of the frame and set the trailer at level..
    No big worries as the spare tire, once installed for good, will cover most of the front of the trailer and the tool box will cover the rest of the center support piece where the suspensions links are attached. [emoji106]

With axle and tires finally in place I gained a small amount more of ground clearance than I had originally expected..lowest part of the trailer frame is now 2.5" which is higher than the axle pumpkin so no complaints there [emoji4]

The two vertical lines on either side of the front panel in the pic are the original molded in door seams from the cab which there was nothing I could do to remove them. From a rigidity and build standpoint I would rather have that than to have a separate panel for the front with seams at all corners for fear of too much flex on the lexan body with no real way to attach the side panels without putting a hidden brace in the front corners. (Then I have to worry about fasteners showing on the outside).
    This is why I decided to heat the corners and bend them to keep a continuous mold around the front corners.
    The way it is now the whole truck bed is very solid and the tent frame attachment even added to that stability.

Few more details here and there and probably one more logo sewn on tent cover and I'll be very satisfied with the end result.

Thanks again, looking forward to your Defender 1:1 clone [emoji106]

Last edited by radio uncontrol; 04-15-2021 at 06:15 AM.

Awesome job making it your own!
    Keep it up!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier

Got a new toy today!

Really neat - all that thought and attention to detail has really paid off. Nice one.

The big question we all want to know the answer to is what youíll do with the front half you have left over... [emoji23]

Maybe a James Bond special edition?!! [emoji23][emoji16]

... or a Herbie!

Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
    Ha! You guys..
    I'm still laughing at that 007 pic! Whew!

Thanks Squeegie.. it's been alot of pics and a long way getting here, hopefully the hitch setup won't give me any issues..

Appreciate the support and thank those of you who followed along..
    It may have been just as cost effective to buy a new SPORT and cut it in half..then I have a ton of new parts for both rigs [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]
    I throw up some finished pics once the tool box and hitch is installed.. don't have all the pieces here yet [emoji45]

Now I have a new beanie cap without a Traxxas[emoji2400] logo! [emoji6] Lol

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by radio uncontrol View Post

Now I have a new beanie cap without a Traxxas[emoji2400] logo! [emoji6] Lol

hahahaha

For it would be fun if you have taken a RTR sport and cut it in half - we would expect something to shew after the trailer project.

Also, How do you do that Traxxas logo ? The lettering is very very nice

RC Qualifier
    I honestly think helping my son with a Rube Goldberg project was actually easier and it had strict parameters and guidelines we had to adhere to..
    Basically over-engineer popping a balloon with 4-5 requirements that could be done in one motion.[emoji2957]

RC Qualifier
    hahahaha

For it would be fun if you have taken a RTR sport and cut it in half - we would expect something to shew after the trailer project.

Also, How do you do that Traxxas logo ? The lettering is very very nice
    LOL..another project???

Traxxas sells a beanie cap with that embroidery on it..just removed it and will have my wife sew it on the cover

RC Racer
    hahahahahahaha

I was so intrigued - I though he may have gone tru a special 3D 2 material printer or something !!

Yes another project would be fun

BTW, nice Rube Goldberg project !
    Last edited by Bach; 04-15-2021 at 04:41 PM.

RC Qualifier

BTW, nice Rube Goldberg project !
    Lol, thanks..I got an 'A' on that..I mean HE, yea HE, got an 'A' on that! [emoji38][emoji38]

RC Qualifier
    Trailer bumper finally arrived along with spare tire cover...

RC Qualifier
    Can't have a trailer without working lights..that wouldn't be safe [emoji39]

RC Qualifier
    Winnebago on a TRX4-SPORT chassis would be a piece of cake..RV body rest on rock sliders just as it does on a MAXX body..since front and rear bumpers are adjustable in/out the RV body can be secured to the bumpers of the sport chassis and the FLOORPAN won't have to be re-installed in the RV saving alot of weight..not saying it would make a good crawler but it would be ideal for just cruising around..having a spare set of front/rear SPORT bumpers would allow you to go back and forth between RV body and sport body in less than 10 minutes.
    The only unknown would be to figure a shock set-up for the RV.( i.e. oil, springs, maybe even a different shock altogether)

This stuff is fun!

RC Racer
    What a nice idea !

I may follow that path one day ...

As for the shocks, I would give a try of 2 additional more pairs. And perhaps even before that, would evaluate 2 differents spring set-up tru the rotating 'rings'

As challenge, how about the 'Winne' interior ?

RC Qualifier
    Great idea! Canít believe youíre thinking about the next project already... [emoji23] Loving your work, that trailer is brilliant - LED lights too?! Fantastic. [emoji106]

RC Qualifier
    It's a piece of cake to switch between shocks, if you decide to go that route. It's better anyway to have dedicated shocks for different weight bodies, different springs, oils etc. I do it all the time between my heavier D110 and the lighter Raptor body. Bumpers, shocks, tires, 10 minutes swap.

This body is looking really cool and seems like it has great potential. Not a crawler, but definitely good fun driving it around.

RC Qualifier
    @Bach,

That would be cool to see your build..I try to be transparent with pics and info while doing my projects just to see and show some things that can be done with these rigs..
    I usually ditch the interior just for the reason of having to dismantle the whole rig for as little as a battery change or simple maintenance and avoiding the Ken and Barbie scale figures! Haha

Curious to see how you fill in the Jeep body.

@Steeeve,

Thanks, I still will see this trailer build to the end just stuck without the parts and pieces to finish until they show up [emoji45]
    I plan to isolate the trailer lights to just the trailer using a 9V setup and be able to hide the battery and on/off switch inside the toolbox I am mounting on the frame in front of spare tire. Don't want the hassle of a wire/plug to tow vehicle I have to hook/unhook everytime I use the trailer.
    My paint skills fail in comparison to yours so if I don't get too intricate with a paint scheme I can get a passing grade! Lol
    I have grand paint ideas for the RV but limited abilities that area...good thing is it's a metal body so when I screw it up I can just sand it down and start again. [emoji2957]
    Really looking forward to finishing the trailer as it has come extremely close to what I had envisioned when I hacked a brand new TRX4 Sport body in half [emoji15]
    Always wanted to build a matching trailer but couldn't see myself towing around a straight axle trailer that would bounce all over like a kid on a trampoline..this TRX4 chassis was a perfect candidate to try it!

@Xagoras,
    Great idea having dedicated parts for each rig! Just store the parts with each body when not in use.

RC Qualifier
    For those of you following along here is a not so exciting part of the build but it has to be done..attaching the trailer body to the trailer frame.. Waited til now to do it to get ride height, final adjustments and clearances before implementing this part of the build..
    The body post and clips are the only thing holding the body on the frame at the current time but there needs to be an attachment bracket at the front of the trailer to secure the body to the frame so I went with a piece of scrap metal and put a custom bend on it to match the degree of the frame rails and still have a straight vertical side where the frame rails and body meet...once the body was installed and slid over the bracket in the correct position I drilled two holes thru front of trailer and the new bracket and secured with two 3mm button head screws and nylon lock nuts. (If it ever needs to be removed for shock replacement, etc. it can easily be done.
    So now the body clips and two screws thru the front have secured the body and frame as one unit so now if it flips, tips or gets upside down there isn't an 'instant yard sale' of items on the trail![emoji2]

Also texture coated the underside of the trailer body before everything was complete to have a clean, finished look.

Left bracket in raw form so it would show up in pics and then painted it black before sliding the body down over it and securing everything in place..now the trailer can hang upside down and no worries [emoji106]

RC Qualifier
    Also removed center gears and axle shafts so wheels and tires free spin.

RC Qualifier
    Might be a good idea to close the hole, where the shaft was supposed to attach. Lots of debris could end up in the portals through there.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast