Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by radio uncontrol View Post
    Well, after a trip to acquire some TRA8243 link rods I did managed to get the few mm needed to allow the big wheels to stay!

OH HAPPY DAY! [emoji16]

I did snap the threaded end off of my 'tester' rod but it was bought as disposable for just such a mishap..
    All is well and rig is back together with offset links

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Does this mean ive been high-clearance-linking-wrong this whole time?! Lol my bends are vertical, or did u just do it this way for tire clearance?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Haha..vertical would be correct but I needed some room [emoji16]

RC Racer
    Haha..vertical would be correct but I needed some room [emoji16]

I like the way u think, my friend! Ive got em already, so when i throw on my 2.8 sledgehammers, or talon EXT's all i gotta do us twist em 15 degrees or so clockwise (as viewed from drivers pov of course) on the left, and opposite on right side! This is awesome [emoji106][emoji41] and um not sure why the thought never crossed my mind? Heh.

RC Qualifier
    Save yo money on the Talon EXT's

The G500 wheels even have a bigger outside diameter and the sidewall on the EXT's is like a low profile with a huge rim..

I don't think you would be happy with those

RC Qualifier
    End points of the link rods still end up in original location..1/2 twist on rear end cap to make up for the distance lost with the radius and she goes right back together...you don't lose any articulation..

The aluminum set I ordered I was just going to turn one rod end so the pre molded radius was sideways as you now see in the pic above.

Anyways, no articulation was lost

Good luck [emoji106]

RC Qualifier
    Wasn't much rubbing except in really awkward angles but doing bend in the link arm gave this much clearance

RC Qualifier
    MAIL CALL!!

Some decals came today..

RC Qualifier
    Project is just about wrapped up.. time to go scratch it [emoji2960]

Not bad for a week of tinkering lol

RC Qualifier
    Well, after putting the bend in the link arms earlier I went back and tried the Sledgehammer wheels and tires as the backspacing is slightly more friendly than the backspacing on the Jato 2.8 rear wheels with the Trenchers...to my delight they provided more clearance in full lock near the link arms and actually gained some spacing away from the front shock springs..
    So after this little discovery I just went ahead and ripped the scab right off!
    I don't have plans for rock crawling so tire softness and compound isn't that critical for me, these Sledges should do fine in mixed use trail, sand, mud and general crawling.
    Anyone that has this TRX Sport will know what I'm about to explain lol..the decals for the fender flares are a 2 part decal..one for the lip edge and one for the rest of the fender to be precisely placed and joined together for full fender coverage..the only issue with that setup is anytime there is a rub on the fender or scrap from rolling the first place it shows up on the body is, you guessed it, the seam on the fender where the two pieces of decals meet.
    Now with that in mind and the Sledges not rubbing the link arms the only area they did rub was the fender lip edge..so BOOM, I removed the fender lip edges and eliminated the annoying decal scrap problem and was able to shape the flares the way I needed them.
    Long story short...The Sledges are on, they fit and they don't rub...took alot of manipulating to get here but they are staying and will put the 2255 servo to the test! Haha
    So lacking a complete light kit here is the final result..it now has door hinges and real door handles (they also arrived in today's mail)..the original door handle decals are gone.

RC Qualifier
    Nice! Can you take a photo of the Sledgehammers next to the G500 wheels for comparison?

RC Qualifier
    The truck on the left has already had bumper brackets flipped and bumpers raised also..so the G500's aren't pictured on a stock rig..
    A pic earlier in this thread with the truck sitting in grass has the G500's in stock form

RC Qualifier
    You guys didn't think I left her on the shelf today did you? [emoji2]

Since I went with the larger wheels I thought the 8062 kit with the Heavy Duty Front Axle Shafts for the portals was a good idea..did the fronts today, took about 15-20 minutes and will probably tackle the rear tomorrow if I can find the part. Once the hub assembly is disconnected from the truck there is only 3 set screws to deal with..very quick process

RC Champion
    Yea, I know.. I'm a little late to the Crawler party..lol
    Now I have a new sub-forum to lurk in..

This G-500 wheels looks amazing, ¿what kind of rig is the other in the first picture?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    This G-500 wheels looks amazing, ¿what kind of rig is the other in the first picture?
    LOL..you can see that whole build from start to finish at this link below here on the forum.. it's a mid 1970's Tonka I had one when I was a kid and that one in the link is now sitting on a Slash 4x4 HCG chassis..
    Took about 3 weeks to get that beast together.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthread.php?9096574-Rc-rv

RC Qualifier
    Got the chromoly rear shafts installed..an adjustable drop hitch for bumper receiver, side mirrors and snorkel...
    Now that the snorkel is installed I can't get the passenger door open [emoji2]

RC Qualifier
    [emoji16]

RC Qualifier
    Since I gave some of you hardcore crawlers a heart attack putting Sledgehammers on the first trail truck I will be putting these beauties on the second rig..True bead locks to make this one a true crawler [emoji6]

Waiting on 2 stage foam to arrive.

RC Qualifier
    I'm not a big fan of all these bolts that go around the rim, but these look great. Are they 1.9?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
    I'm not a big fan of all these bolts that go around the rim, but these look great. Are they 1.9?
    These are 2.2

I'm sure they are also available in 1.9 as they seem to have many more choices in that size.

It will be a toss up between these and 2.2 Traxxas methods with a satin silver bead

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Trx4newb View Post
    I like the way u think, my friend! Ive got em already, so when i throw on my 2.8 sledgehammers, or talon EXT's all i gotta do us twist em 15 degrees or so clockwise (as viewed from drivers pov of course) on the left, and opposite on right side! This is awesome [emoji106][emoji41] and um not sure why the thought never crossed my mind? Heh.

The aluminum links arrived..their bend is a little further back than the ones I did in the vise.. so my offset was closer to what was needed for tire clearance and driveshaft room..their bend throws the link more towards the drive shafts leaving very little room..
    In all fairness to GPM this link wasn't designed for this application, I was using it as a testing device..it would work as its designed original intent. Would it work? Yes, would I be happy with it, No. Basically putting your original Traxxas links in a vise yields the better result as you can put the offset where you want it...or use smaller wheels. Haha [emoji2]

Sidenote: Don't think you would find a much better link than the original..it is a tough hardened steel

RC Qualifier
    Started playing around with the kids TRX-4 Sport..man I hope these Chanquish* wheels look as good on the rig as I think they will..
    Started pre assembly on them and actually a bit surprised and impressed with the quality of them..
    Dixieland RC is always sold out of the roll cage and it's $40 usd so I decided to make my own with $5 bucks in suspension parts! [emoji106][emoji23]

* Chinese Vanquish

RC Qualifier
    Here's the direction this build will go..
    Rock protectors will be around the truck like seen here and on the tailgate all made from suspension components..so the roll bar setup will eventually all tie-in together as everything moves along.

Here is the wheel mock-up [emoji106]

RC Qualifier
    Looks fantastic! Not sure if they’re made by the same company, but I also bought some Chinese beadlocks recently and the quality is surprisingly good... [emoji106] loving the look of this....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeeve View Post
    Looks fantastic! Not sure if they’re made by the same company, but I also bought some Chinese beadlocks recently and the quality is surprisingly good... [emoji106] loving the look of this....

Thanks Steeeve,

I'm going after a clean purpose built raw utilitarian look with this one and will probably forego most decals/stickers..figured the 12 year old will need all the body protection he can get with full scraper bars everywhere...lol. I'm sure he'll find a sticker to go somewhere [emoji3061]

RC Qualifier
    If I bed mount the spare I can still access the body clips..not to keen having the rear weight of the spare on the bumper mount that they offer so it looks like that home made roll bar was spaced just enough for a spare. Lol
    Waiting on bits and pieces to trickle in from the mail.. probably at a stand still with this project until next week when parts arrive..[emoji45]

RC Racer
    Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada-The Wet Coast!
    What are those tires? They look like Canyon RTs (from the TRX6), but say 1.9 on the sidewall, so...
    Sweet rigs, too!
    Slash 2WD Vision Edition
    200+ posts, here I come!

Quote Originally Posted by VisionSlash42 View Post
    What are those tires? They look like Canyon RTs (from the TRX6), but say 1.9 on the sidewall, so...
    Sweet rigs, too!
    Canyon Trail 1.9" stretched on to 2.2" wheels, it looks like.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionSlash42 View Post
    Sweet rigs, too!
    Well, that's a bit of a story...lol

Those are 2.2 wheels and I have 2.2 tires to go on them..but once I mocked everything up to get the stance and look I was after the 1.9 factory size and o.d. worked the best but I wasn't giving up my 2.2 rims..
    Long story short and after much precision cutting and transferring foams what you see there is a 2.2 rim with factory 1.9 traxxas Canyons.. [emoji2]
    Good thing it's called an x-acto knife because everything had to be precise.. haha.
    The first pick shows two factory plastic rims after the canyons were cut off..you can see how smooth the cut had to be to have a smooth opening on the remaining tire carcass for installing on the 2.2's.

It really wasn't bad, just patience and time to get it done.

RC Qualifier
    Couple more pics of how precise the cut needs to be..the tire itself really isn't stretched..once you cut the center core to the measurement the 2.2's need the remainder of the tire keeps it's original dimensions and shape..

Last pic shows the writing and spacing is even all around the bead

RC Qualifier
    I also boiled one of them for an hour and it came off with no issue and had a complete tire with original bead..the problem with that is it was much more difficult to get a precise cut with the tire off the factory rim..keeping it on the factory rim gave me a guide to make a clean cut by following the edge of the rim..
    With these tires and rims I would do it again without hesitation..not sure about other combos..I have seen some horrible results..lol

RC Qualifier
    Here's a 1.9/2.2 that maybe shouldn't have been done [emoji57]

RC Racer

Holly Molly - this is very original and clever - It gives the car the whole different look

Well done !

RC Racer
    Well, that's a bit of a story...lol

Those are 2.2 wheels and I have 2.2 tires to go on them..but once I mocked everything up to get the stance and look I was after the 1.9 factory size and o.d. worked the best but I wasn't giving up my 2.2 rims..
    Long story short and after much precision cutting and transferring foams what you see there is a 2.2 rim with factory 1.9 traxxas Canyons.. [emoji2]

----

Well done !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Canyon Trail 1.9" stretched on to 2.2" wheels, it looks like.
    Good call Willy..
    I guess this posted while I was generating some pictures and trying to respond to Vision's question [emoji106]

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bach View Post
    Well done !
    Thanks Bach!

Here is the rear side of the rim tire combo..

I have a couple more items I'm waiting on that will help finish off the remaining look of the rig..it should work out hopefully as none of the items are made for the TRX-4 Sport. Lol

RC Qualifier
    In the most simplistic terms you end up with a 1.9 tire with a 2.2 center hole..
    But it'll be fun messing with people's heads when they insist they aren't stock tire size. Lol

The Canyon Trails just happen to enough enough sidewall to spare the 1/4" that was needed

Last edited by radio uncontrol; 04-04-2021 at 08:06 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Can't tell from the pictures if you have modded them, but if not it's definitely worth considering. It makes a lot of difference

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
    Can't tell from the pictures if you have modded them, but if not it's definitely worth considering. It makes a lot of difference
    I have heard good things about that mod but no these tires are still in stock tread form

RC Qualifier
    While waiting on parts to come in to finish up with the Crawler build I acquired a TRX4 Sport stripped down chassis for about $40 usd..so I'm in the super early measurement and fabrication stages of producing a utility cargo trailer that I will utilize the new chassis under.
    Still molding and final tweaking trailer body and still have some clean up with acetone to remove unwanted residue from the trailer body.. definitely a work in progress and sure to be a constantly evolving and changing build..will eventually end up with matching tires and beads as the same ones on the crawler rig..
    Hopefully I will have enough frame rails left from the chassis to make a nice trailer tongue
    No depth to the trailer bed so probably will have to go with mounted cargo boxes or something similar

Last edited by radio uncontrol; 04-05-2021 at 05:30 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Wow, that looks great, what a brilliant idea! You’re certainly not one to stand still when it comes to projects [emoji23] - loving seeing your progress! [emoji106][emoji41]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast