Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Thank you Steeeve..

I've got it cleaned up, trimmed and tucked and final mock up with wheel that will be used. The front will be just big enough to hold same size spare on trailer also..
    Don't think I can go much further until the raw chassis shows up so I can get fitment between body and frame..using a TRX4 frame the trailer should have the same articulation in the suspension as the tow rig..just a hunch, won't really know that until it's mated together.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by radio uncontrol View Post
    Thank you Steeeve..

I've got it cleaned up, trimmed and tucked and final mock up with wheel that will be used. The front will be just big enough to hold same size spare on trailer also..
    Don't think I can go much further until the raw chassis shows up so I can get fitment between body and frame..using a TRX4 frame the trailer should have the same articulation in the suspension as the tow rig..just a hunch, won't really know that until it's mated together.

Wow rich idea and nicely executed !

I think you can do little bit further while waiting for the frame ... matching the rear cut and painting the external fenders ?

perhaps even transforming it into a mini toolbox carrier ?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bach View Post
    Wow rich idea and nicely executed !

I think you can do little bit further while waiting for the frame ... matching the rear cut and painting the external fenders ?

perhaps even transforming it into a mini toolbox carrier ?
    Thanks Bach!

Lol..yea I could tinker on it a little more but won't get much accomplished.. don't want to make any more cuts until I can see where frame rails sit with body..best I can tell the rails take a downward bend right where the body and cab meet on the full rig..hoping the rail bend is in a place that they will come out underneath the front of this trailer setup.
    There is a full coverage 1/8" galvanized plate behind that front panel giving the whole trailer rigidity plus it will aid in securing the spare tire on front of trailer as the lexan body is just to weak to support that..already have a drop hitch for tow rig just have to initiate a way to make ball coupler set up for trailer tongue.
    Trimming the rear will be a looks decision when all is together as I'm not sure yet if I will raise the bumper on the trailer..
    I guess the trailer should actually have a decal that says TRX2. [emoji38]

Last edited by radio uncontrol; 04-06-2021 at 05:39 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Anyone need a front clip of a 2021 TRX-4 Sport? [emoji38]

Here's is my rudimentary example of keeping the trailer a 'one-piece' design..

The corners are heated and bent..used heat to lessen the chance of the lexan just cracking..but after locking them in place I still went ahead and put reinforcement on the corners figuring those were the most prone areas to damage. (first thing that sticks out the widest).

The rest are pics of what was done to truck body but used cardboard as a template and practice material.

Probably put a trim piece to cover rivets at top edge and paint the other ones black to blend in the plastic.

The cardboard was too thick to overlap on the example so it just met in the middle..with the lexan I made one side longer than the other so it could overlap and final seam was also in the middle of the front of the trailer..it was thin enough to overlap and made a stronger joint.

Galvanized metal is behind that whole front piece which isn't visible unless the trailer is upside down.

Still a long ways to go but the last pic is also a basic layout of what I think the frame rails will look like once it gets here..
    Too much to worry about right now, I'll deal with that when the frame is in hand. Lol!

Nowhere near a finished product but it is slowing moving forward.

..and it looks like a simple lil' trailer..[emoji2]

RC Qualifier
    Last pic that I mentioned

RC Qualifier
    You are going to use stock axle and shocks for the trailer?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
    You are going to use stock axle and shocks for the trailer?
    Yea xagoras.. that's my plans as of now.

RC Qualifier
    Have you thought how you'll mount the axle on the rails?

RC Qualifier
    Frame is coming with shock towers battery tray cross-members, etc.. it's just C channel..should be able to fabricate a cross member where the suspension links are..everything else will be stripped away..I'll have the rest of the frame rails to make a tonque

Great build there! Hope all works out as planned.
    Keep it up!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Great build there! Hope all works out as planned.
    Keep it up! [emoji106]
    Thanks you Squeegie..

It'll work, I just have to be smarter than plastic and metal..lol!

Folding the doors around to make the front of the trailer allowed me to keep the same body lines as the sides even though the spare tire will cover most of the front [emoji44]

In the interim waiting on parts I just went ahead and installed some parts I did have.

[emoji599] LIGHTS [emoji599]

RC Qualifier
    This sticker is on my central A/C & heat unit.. it's one of my favorites! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji2]

I once had this one posted by my “ool.”
    I need to get another one of these...

Have fun!

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas Chevrolet SSR [emoji13]

RC Qualifier
    Here is how the frame will arrive..
    Hope to remove everything except rear shock tower and center brace with suspension link brackets.. leaving only frame rails from center of chassis to front bumper bracket

RC Racer
    Traxxas Chevrolet SSR [emoji13]

Hahahahaha

RC Qualifier
    Going ole' skool with a scoop! [emoji2]

RC Qualifier
    Looks cleaner without the factory hood decals..they weren't even in the same place on the hood lines [emoji57]

RC Qualifier
    Aerial/antenna installed

RC Qualifier
    The first pic is what came in post today..

So I've been busy the last hour or so [emoji2]

One-of-a-kind roof rack/rollbar ..lol

Pretty much done with truck body, just waiting for trailer parts to arrive!

Truck and trailer was done with about $25 usd in suspension links [emoji123]

Getting the curve in the front cab bar was a little tricky..the links are exceptionally strong [emoji44]

RC Qualifier
    Crazy rig, mate! Well done

I think it needs a light bar on the roof and it will be killer on the trail

RC Qualifier
    Thank you xagoras..[emoji106]

It's like you read my mind [emoji15] LOL

Guess I was installing it as you responded to thread [emoji16]

RC Qualifier
    Waiting on some yeah racing pieces..if the measurements work out correctly the bed of the truck will have side rails and then move on to finish the trailer

RC Qualifier

That's more like it

RC Racer
    Wow impressive - Well done !

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Bach!

I did have to grab a few link rod ends..there are some that are offset, neutral, 10° etc. The roll bar ones I had to heat and bend them to what I needed.

Looking forward to fabricating the trailer frame and seeing the whole rig together.

RC Qualifier
    Very impressive! Looks great and is a really clever idea. [emoji106]Can’t wait to see how the matching trailer build progresses...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great... clever trick using links to make your rack!

Keep it up!

RC Qualifier
    Thank you Steeeve and Squeegie..

Sorry for all the pics but in the legal world it's called 'supporting evidence'..lol

Just easier to explain things with a visual image instead of words alone..

I've got some cool plans for the trailer if all the measurements work out. In the big picture the trailers use is very limited since it has no depth..so carrying things or installing accessories could make some of them seem odd, so once I have all my parts and pieces I'll figure it out from there.

First step is configuring the frame, making a hitch for the trucks receiver and then we'll go from there..the rest of it should be easy after that! [emoji106]

Hope you guys have a great weekend!

RC Qualifier
    Snail mail came thru on a Saturday [emoji123]

Here is a sneak preview mock-up of the trailer with frame..
    In these pics as it sits I have the same amount of ground clearance on the lowest point of the frame rails as I do with the axle pumpkins..so I'm happy with that..not like I'm gonna do severe rock crawling with a trailer attached [emoji57]

This is a general mock up for the length of the trailer frame as I will have to make a splice in it somewhere to get my desired results..already feel there was a huge bonus that the rails downward slope was just enough not to interfere with the front bottom edge of trailer body..

This trailer and I are like a tennis match..it throws something at me and I have to send it back over the net...then it says "nah, not doing that either" and sends it back...LOL. I'm at a point now with the frame here I know I will execute the following stages to get my desired result..

So now on to shocks, rear axle and ordering a rear bumper etc.. it's just a small trailer bit still a boatload of collective pieces.

I will clean the front edge of the plastic piece shown in between the frame rails and keep it in place as the back side (right) is all the holes and brackets for the rear axle suspension links [emoji106]

RC Qualifier
    Here it is after all the unnecessary components were dismantled

RC Racer
    It looks very nice, nicer than what we used to see with those extra small tires and the hitch way too low.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bach View Post
    It looks very nice, nicer than what we used to see with those extra small tires and the hitch way too low.

Yea, I'm not a big fan of that look myself..[emoji6]

...and the story continues.

I ordered some YR rock sliders hoping to cut the brackets off and use them for side rails on the tow rig...WOW..these things are heavy and beef..so I didn't use them for that purpose..guys could probably save money on some brass with a set of these.. [emoji38]

Anyhow I went ahead and installed them on the tow rig as they are intended and took the factory plastic ones and worked with those and mounted them to the truck bed to get my side rails..

If anyone hasn't commented on the forum yet about the YR sliders I will say I don't think you will be disappointed with a set and fortunately their style and design go well with all the suspension links I have used.

Last edited by radio uncontrol; 04-10-2021 at 05:54 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Had to break out the big boy tools as the C channels just laughed at my dremel cutting wheel... the spare TRX4-SPORT frame is significantly shorter than it was..
    Instead of splicing the frame I figured if I had to make a cut just reduce it to a single cut so I found an area at the front of the frame that I could take the amount I wanted and still be able to utilize the front factory cross-member.. I'll make my hitch setup using that (when I get that far).
    So for now the frame was cut to it's final usable size and back together..strong as before. I now have enough room in front of spare tire to install a storage box!

RC Qualifier
    Nice work - looks really neat, bet it was scary making the first cut! Any excuse to get the proper tools out! [emoji16][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Thank you

lol..yes I sat there for a bit just studying it and looking at it before pulling the trigger on the point of no return. Another big hurdle out if the way! With shocks, axle, bumper and remaining items due in the next couple days I can really start closing in on finishing! [emoji106]

It's a heck of a project for something that basically has no electronics and very limited moving parts! [emoji38]

RC Qualifier
    Ok..done for the weekend. [emoji42]

Did a few silver satin highlights to match the bead locks center color.

RC Racer
    Thank you

lol..yes I sat there for a bit just studying it and looking at it before pulling the trigger on the point of no return. Another big hurdle out if the way! With shocks, axle, bumper and remaining items due in the next couple days I can really start closing in on finishing! [emoji106]

It's a heck of a project for something that basically has no electronics and very limited moving parts! [emoji38]

When simple things takes time - I am pointing out - bread !

Bread, is just made of water, wheat flour, salt and a little yeast .... pretty simple eh ? but it's can be pretty hard to find a good one.

That’s why we have a bread maker machine at home!

RC Qualifier
    Ha!

Yes, if I had messed that cut up this frame would have been toast and all my plans would have gone a rye!
    Hopefully it won't turn out too crumby and will become the upper crust of trailers compared to other hand built trailers.
    [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast