Thread: Is just me?

RC Enthusiast

Is just me?

Do you guys have good luck with your rustler or is it just me that has the worst luck I got my vxl like 2 weeks ago since then Iíve been driving it very careful not doing anything just driving in my backyard back and fourth no jumps or anything Iíve broken a rear axle the stock tires blew off in 2 days the Velineon motor was toast in 5 days spur gear stripped in about 7 days rear bearing for the diff where the drive shaft goes in to exploded. Did I just waste 400$ plus 2-300$ on parts? Or is anyone else have bad luck.. I sent the whole truck to traxxas today because Iím so tired of this..

RC Enthusiast
    no, sadly it is not just you, i broke the axles, upgraded them, and they still broke, motor magnets lost magnetism, stripped through 7 spur gears, and blew the rear diff. oh yeah, i also blew out the tires on a 9 tooth pinion, driving very easy, and i stripped the servo. best option would be to sell your rustler, and get something better, like a maxx.

RC Competitor
    I've broken a couple axles, bent some shock shafts, and chewed up a spur gear. But definitely haven't had that bad of an experience
    Rustler 4x4: MambaX, HobbyWing 3660

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Balsamic Vin View Post
    no, sadly it is not just you, i broke the axles, upgraded them, and they still broke, motor magnets lost magnetism, stripped through 7 spur gears, and blew the rear diff. oh yeah, i also blew out the tires on a 9 tooth pinion, driving very easy, and i stripped the servo. best option would be to sell your rustler, and get something better, like a maxx.
    Ok just didn’t know if it was just me I’m really regretting my purchase already lol it’s on its way to traxxas right now to see if they can do anything, once they fix it I’ll decide if I should sell it and get something a tad more reliable something that doesn’t break in 2 weeks of the most easy light driving lol..

RC Racer
    I've had mine about a month or so, and I run about 4 or 5 lipo packs thru it every weekend, both 2 and 3s. I'm running on rough gravel, and haven't had any major issues with it. Only thing I've run into is a slight overheating problem (I put a motor fan in, and it helps a lot) and one of the back hinge pins holding the wheel assembly to the arm keeps backing out (kinda expected that one, though).

It's kinda like buying a new car; you always have the chance you might get a lemon.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethMiller19 View Post
    I've had mine about a month or so, and I run about 4 or 5 lipo packs thru it every weekend, both 2 and 3s. I'm running on rough gravel, and haven't had any major issues with it. Only thing I've run into is a slight overheating problem (I put a motor fan in, and it helps a lot) and one of the back hinge pins holding the wheel assembly to the arm keeps backing out (kinda expected that one, though).

It's kinda like buying a new car; you always have the chance you might get a lemon.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    You’re right! Wish I could go through a whole battery without breaking something haha, I’ve read some reviews on the maxx after the previous guy commented I guess they’re a whole lot sturdier probably sell the rustler and grab that one

RC Racer
    If you're looking to sell it, and most of the core components are in decent shape, you might consider taking the electronics out and selling it as a roller. You'd get less money for it, but you'd have the esc, motor, etc. to use for something else or to sell separately. Lots of people buy rollers for project cars or conversions. It'd be a little more effort, but might be worth it.

Little known fact:. Slapping your favorite sticker on an RC body DOES make the car faster.

Sounds like you do quite a bit of full throttle stuff with it. That will blow diffs, break axles and cook motors if not done in moderation. Unless you build for that.

I run my stuff pretty hard, but I build for it. Proper gearing, fans, larger motor/esc, wrapped tires, etc. Pretty sure I'd destroy a rustler vxl 4x4 in about 20 minutes in stock form.

Unless you had multiple freak parts failures, it wouldn't cause all what you said. So sending it to traxxas to fix it isn't going to "fix" much of anything.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Sounds like you do quite a bit of full throttle stuff with it. That will blow diffs, break axles and cook motors if not done in moderation. Unless you build for that.

I run my stuff pretty hard, but I build for it. Proper gearing, fans, larger motor/esc, wrapped tires, etc. Pretty sure I'd destroy a rustler vxl 4x4 in about 20 minutes in stock form.

Unless you had multiple freak parts failures, it wouldn't cause all what you said. So sending it to traxxas to fix it isn't going to "fix" much of anything.
    I understand what you’re saying but why would traxxas sell a car that is made for driving fast and hard when you have to drive it slow I’m confused?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by tdog239 View Post
    I understand what youíre saying but why would traxxas sell a car that is made for driving fast and hard when you have to drive it slow Iím confused?
    A good way to explain it would be this: If you went to a car dealership, and bought a brand new sports car, would you stand on the gas pedal every time you drove it? The car is capable of going fast, but unless you spent $100k on it, it won't stand up to being run that hard every time. Eventually, things will start to fail.

Even in a racing application, it's very rare for a car to be at full throttle for more than a few seconds at a time. I've pushed my rustler 4x4 pretty hard, but I always give her a break after a full speed run when I'm pushing her hard.

I'm not saying at all that it was something you did that caused the car to fail, because it is entirely possible that you got a "lemon". I'm just giving an explanation as to how things could possibly fail if pushed too hard. I don't know your driving style, so I'll refrain from making assumptions.

Little known fact: Slapping your favorite sticker on an RC body DOES make it go faster

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Balsamic Vin View Post
    That is some terrible advise. Best option would be to address the problems on why things are breaking and come up with a solution to the problems. A lot of the times when parts break, itís not because they are trash or poor quality. Itís the user who causes parts to break.

Everyone knows the stock plastic gears in the servos WILL strip at some point. Just do what everyone else does and either get the metal gear kit for it, or replace the servo with a different one.

The stock extreme duty drive shafts are actually pretty good. But if youíre just hammering down on the throttle on high traction surfaces, you can kiss them goodbye. Somethings got to give and itíll be the drive shafts.

Also kinda same reply to the diff exploding. You canít just be hammering down on the throttle and expect nothing to go wrong. And if youíre not letting off the throttle when you land a jump thatíll do some damage as well. Could also have been a binding issue.

Tires. Again, if youíre just being really hard on the rc something is going to break. I tore one of my talon exts on my 2wd rustler when I was doing some tests on 3s and I popped a wheelie and held my finger down too long on the throttle and when the tire made contact with the concrete the tire said, cya!

And now the big one. The motor. Aww yeah. Itís especially well known that the VXL 3s motor runs hot. And I mean HOT. I have read countless threads of people complaining about how hot the motor gets and how to help keep it cool. If your motor magnets de-magnetized, itís because of extremely high motor temps. High temps can and will cause magnets to loose their ability to maintain their magnetism.

Now donít take this post as a ďitís all your fault L2drive nub el oh elĒ. Itís not why I pointed these things out. I just want you to be aware that there are things you can do to help prevent issues like these in the future. Sometimes it really is just a bad part, and if it is, it happens sometimes. But if it turns out youíre being a turd and making problems for yourself, well.... Iím not sure what to tell ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm just a noob

RC Enthusiast
    Everything you said is correct but this is my driving style..

I drive it in my backyard back and fourth sometimes full throttle sometimes half throttle about 4 times then I let it cool for 5 minutes after that I do it again and repeat.. sometimes I’ll do a couple high speed runs down my road then check the temps with a temp gun I have 2 fans cooling off the motor and esc they don’t get over 140 (now at least) I haven’t changed from the stock pinion gear haven’t done anything crazy I’ve been going pretty light on the car since I got it compared to the stuff I see on YouTube...

RC Competitor
    I understand what youíre saying but why would traxxas sell a car that is made for driving fast and hard when you have to drive it slow Iím confused?
    So far any issues I've had with the Rustler have been self inflicted. In your case I think this ^^^^^^^^^ is an excellent point and I stand behind you on that.

RC Qualifier
    As sold these cars are intended to run a max of a 2s lipo. They can run a 3s, but you'll notice that Traxxas recommends upgrades for that to be most effective. That's the thing. 3s puts a lot more stress on components than the 2s, so if you aren't careful you'll break things. All the things I've broken were because of my stupidity, not build quality. With the exception of the plastic axle, but even that is because of my driving style. I'm tough on it, but it keeps going!

Rustler 4x4, 540XL
    Rustler 4x4
    If it ain't broke, you're not trying!

RC Racer
    I have to agree, I had issues with breaking a few things but they were more my fault then the truck. Some of it. I felt the Traxxas tough arms weren't very tough (I clipped my foot sliding the truck around the yard & broke one right at the hinge pin. It didn't even hurt & I was at half speed) Except for those shock caps, they just SUCK. Nothing I did helped. Metal caps or changing the shock fluid, nothing helped. I finally got the GRT shocks & VG Racing springs & it really changed the truck for me. Since then I've beefed it up a LOT. T-bone bumper, wheelie bar, fans. I only run it on 2S but I haven had this many issues with it.
    3Rustler 2wd(VXL) 1Rustler 4x4VXL 1Slash VXL Fox

RC Competitor
    I am amazed with my Rustler in a good way. I have bashed it learning to jump and I have caused some serious crashing. My favorite style of driving is on asphalt when I run the stadium truck like a NASCAR road course. The motor gets super hot but I have had no problems due to heat. I'm running 3s and the model is designed to handle 3s. Says it on the box(so to speak) and I'm living proof that it is not an issue. The shop guy has been really great. He always takes the time to answer my questions and only sells me what I need. As for heat, he says run it. He told me last weekend he was driving a model and the motor was hot. He put his temp gun on it and it read 180 degrees. No issues. He has a fan in stock but he hasn't pushed me to buy one. He says run it. He walks me through any repairs I've had. I've had to go fairly deep into the model for some repairs. If I get stuck I call Traxxas. THAT my friends is #1 customer service. I wrecked the front right section of the car. I repaired it all. I went through a couple spur gears(if i'm correct...the gear in contact with the pinion gear) On that my shop guy took it apart in the store and found what the issue was. Fantastic hobby store service. I find that the parts are cheap and when I do the repairs, there's self satisfaction with that.
    Now, to the OP. And all actually..... In manufacturing there is an old saying that in production there is NEVER 100% quality coming off the production line. 10 % of all manufactured products will have an issue. I have lived that proverb after operating multi color printing presses for 35+ years. Things go wrong and its not easy to notice .... what went wrong. Sometimes the errors or mechanical problems and screw ups make it all the way to the customer. Its just the way it is. To the OP, in all due respect, you might have gotten a lemon. And this..... IMO..... The MAXX is a more expensive model and it's heavier. It will break at some point. It's going to crash harder. I'm assuming the parts will be slightly more expensive. Maybe Traxxas will determine that your Rustler is a lemon and send you a new one. I'm a beginner and beginners are hard on the equipment. I'm going to stick with the Rustler to get past the hard crashes. At that point I might get a MAXX. Or an Arrma Big Rock. We'll see what I want at that time. Something is just a little bit fishy here. If your driving style is true to what you're telling us...... TRAXXAS will replace it. If you're not telling us the whole story, you're going to continue to have problems no matter what model you buy. I'm on your side. I want you to succeed and keep the Rustler. Trust me on this, I have bashed the Rustler and have had very few issues. It's a strong model. Stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pintail View Post
    I'm running 3s and the model is designed to handle 3s.
    I'm not trying to bust your chops, but GTSDart340 is correct. The Rusty 4x4VXL isn't intended to run 3s out of the box. Look at the gearing chart in your owners manual. Traxxas recommends NiMh or 2s lipo out of the box. Dropping to a 10t or 9t pinion is recommended for 3s off-road use. The fact that your motor is getting "super hot" should tell you that. Anything over 170-180 degrees will eventually damage your motor.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by McCreary View Post
    I'm not trying to bust your chops, but GTSDart340 is correct. The Rusty 4x4VXL isn't intended to run 3s out of the box. Look at the gearing chart in your owners manual. Traxxas recommends NiMh or 2s lipo out of the box. Dropping to a 10t or 9t pinion is recommended for 3s off-road use. The fact that your motor is getting "super hot" should tell you that. Anything over 170-180 degrees will eventually damage your motor.
    I have to disagree. Itís advertised as a 3s capable rc, right out of the box. Now this doesnít mean itís bullet proof, but it is intended for 3s use.

The gearing that comes stock on the model is recommended for most use, NiMH, or 2s use, as per the gearing chart in the manual that Iím looking at right now. 10/54 or 9/54 is recommended for 3s running for off road/rough terrain. Now where it says recommended for most running on stock gearing 11/54, wouldnít that include 3s to get the stated 40mph on stock gearing?

Also on the page below, Traxxas has a how fast do you wan to go? chart. Shows 11/54 stock gearing on 3s is 40mph. If 11/54 is strictly 2s only, why would that be shown as an option?

Doesnít say anywhere that itís recommended to run 2s only.

If the rustler 4x4 was never intended to be ran on 3s, Traxxas wouldnít be advertising it as a 3s vehicle and wouldnít offer you the info to set it up for 3s running.

For myself, I got the brushed rustler and changed everything out to make it VXL spec over time. Swapped diffs, center shaft, toe links/camber links. I was running it on 4s for a bit before tossing in the vxl3s system.

Only a couple things have broken from 3s use, and it was my fault. Shock caps popping off cause I cart wheeled it for about 25 feet and hit a mail box, broke a rear drive shaft yoke from repeated wheelies trying to ride them down the street, rounded out a hex inside one of my rims. All on 3s use. Now Iím not as hard on my rcs as others might be, but I think the rustler 4x4 is a pretty dang good rc on 3s.

I'm just a noob

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    I have to disagree. Itís advertised as a 3s capable rc, right out of the box. Now this doesnít mean itís bullet proof, but it is intended for 3s use.

The gearing that comes stock on the model is recommended for most use, NiMH, or 2s use, as per the gearing chart in the manual that Iím looking at right now. 10/54 or 9/54 is recommended for 3s running for off road/rough terrain. Now where it says recommended for most running on stock gearing 11/54, wouldnít that include 3s to get the stated 40mph on stock gearing?

Also on the page below, Traxxas has a how fast do you wan to go? chart. Shows 11/54 stock gearing on 3s is 40mph. If 11/54 is strictly 2s only, why would that be shown as an option?

Doesnít say anywhere that itís recommended to run 2s only.

If the rustler 4x4 was never intended to be ran on 3s, Traxxas wouldnít be advertising it as a 3s vehicle and wouldnít offer you the info to set it up for 3s running.

For myself, I got the brushed rustler and changed everything out to make it VXL spec over time. Swapped diffs, center shaft, toe links/camber links. I was running it on 4s for a bit before tossing in the vxl3s system.

Only a couple things have broken from 3s use, and it was my fault. Shock caps popping off cause I cart wheeled it for about 25 feet and hit a mail box, broke a rear drive shaft yoke from repeated wheelies trying to ride them down the street, rounded out a hex inside one of my rims. All on 3s use. Now Iím not as hard on my rcs as others might be, but I think the rustler 4x4 is a pretty dang good rc on 3s.

It can be run on 3s out of the box, but the motor gets hot really quickly. It's not exactly set up ideally for 3s. If it was built for 3s, it wouldn't heat up and shut down within the first few mins. That's why it's recommended to gear down.

Rustler 4x4 VXL, 540XL
    Rustler 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    I have to disagree. It’s advertised as a 3s capable rc, right out of the box. Now this doesn’t mean it’s bullet proof, but it is intended for 3s use.

The gearing that comes stock on the model is recommended for most use, NiMH, or 2s use, as per the gearing chart in the manual that I’m looking at right now. 10/54 or 9/54 is recommended for 3s running for off road/rough terrain. Now where it says recommended for most running on stock gearing 11/54, wouldn’t that include 3s to get the stated 40mph on stock gearing?

Doesn’t say anywhere that it’s recommended to run 2s only.

If the rustler 4x4 was never intended to be ran on 3s, Traxxas wouldn’t be advertising it as a 3s vehicle and wouldn’t offer you the info to set it up for 3s running.

Only a couple things have broken from 3s use, and it was my fault. Shock caps popping off cause I cart wheeled it for about 25 feet and hit a mail box, broke a rear drive shaft yoke from repeated wheelies trying to ride them down the street, rounded out a hex inside one of my rims. All on 3s use. Now I’m not as hard on my rcs as others might be, but I think the rustler 4x4 is a pretty dang good rc on 3s.

Feel free to point out where I stated it was never intended to run on 3s. I simply stated that Traxxas doesn't recommend running 3s on the stock setup, regardless of what the "how fast do you want to go" chart says.

Also, I never mentioned durability. I've been running 3s since I got it 10 months ago, and haven't broken anything. The only issue I had was on it's maiden run. It went into thermal protection stage 1 within five minutes. I spoke with Traxxas tech support, and they asked if I installed the recommended pinion gear for 3s. I had assumed, like I'm sure many others have done, it was ok to use a 3s with the factory setup. Once I put a 9t on it, along with an ESC fan and a heatsink w/dual fans on the motor, I've had no issues with it at all.

RC Competitor
    In all due respect, where did you see that Traxxas doesn't recommend running on 3s.??
    I've been running a 3s LiPo battery from the start. I've got like 30 cycles on it with no issues at concerning 3s. It gets hot but I've never had a shut down because of heat.
    Last edited by Pintail; 03-26-2021 at 10:09 AM.

In all due respect, where did you see that Traxxas doesn't recommend running on 3s.??
    I've been running a 3s LiPo battery from the start. I've got like 30 cycles on it with no issues at concerning 3s. It gets hot but I've never had a shut down because of heat.
    I never said they didn't recommend running 3s. I said they don't recommend 3s "out of the box". There's a color coded gearing chart on page 27 of the owner's manual.

When your motor gets hot, what temp readings are you getting from the motor and ESC? If it's just your motor getting hot, that may be why is not going into thermal protection. I'm pretty certain the ESC temp determines whether it goes into thermal protection, not the motor temp.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by GTSDart340 View Post
    It can be run on 3s out of the box, but the motor gets hot really quickly. It's not exactly set up ideally for 3s. If it was built for 3s, it wouldn't heat up and shut down within the first few mins. That's why it's recommended to gear down.

Rustler 4x4 VXL, 540XL
    Heat up and shut down in a few minutes.?? Nope. Hasn't happened. And it doesn't get hot really quickly. I've run several times and checked the heat half way through a battery cycle. Not nearly as hot as a full cycle. Also, click on a model on Traxxas website. Then, click on batteries. Pops right up, 3s 4000mAh with an ID charger. Each model has recommended batteries and chargers. The shop guy I deal with has never mentioned its not set up for 3s out of the box.

RC Qualifier
    Heat up and shut down in a few minutes.?? Nope. Hasn't happened. And it doesn't get hot really quickly. I've run several times and checked the heat half way through a battery cycle. Not nearly as hot as a full cycle. Also, click on a model on Traxxas website. Then, click on batteries. Pops right up, 3s 4000mAh with an ID charger. Each model has recommended batteries and chargers. The shop guy I deal with has never mentioned its not set up for 3s out of the box.
    Then your must be a better driver then me. My 4x4 VXL overheated in the first 5 mins on 3s. Fans and a 9t gear fixed all that. Then a 540XL took care of it in a more fun way! And yes I'm aware that it shows 3s batteries as a suggested buy. Again, you start running 3s, things break, Traxxas makes more money. Pretty simple gig.

Rustler 4x4 VXL, 540XL
    Rustler 4x4

Then your must be a better driver then me. My 4x4 VXL overheated in the first 5 mins on 3s. Fans and a 9t gear fixed all that. Then a 540XL took care of it in a more fun way! And yes I'm aware that it shows 3s batteries as a suggested buy. Again, you start running 3s, things break, Traxxas makes more money. Pretty simple gig.

Rustler 4x4 VXL, 540XL
    I can see why you put the 540XL in your Rustler 4x4. I picked up a Maxx on Saturday(It's a beast). Even tho it's significantly heavier than the Rustler 4x4, I ran it hard for 40 minutes on 4s and my temps didn't go over 125⁰. Going to order one for my Rustler 4x4. The 540XL has so much more torque, and no more temp checks every 5 minutes like the Velineon 3500.
    Maxx, Rustler 4x4 VXL, 1/16 E-Revo VXL, Slash 2wd

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by McCreary View Post
    I can see why you put the 540XL in your Rustler 4x4. I picked up a Maxx on Saturday(It's a beast). Even tho it's significantly heavier than the Rustler 4x4, I ran it hard for 40 minutes on 4s and my temps didn't go over 125⁰. Going to order one for my Rustler 4x4. The 540XL has so much more torque, and no more temp checks every 5 minutes like the Velineon 3500.
    For sure! I also put the Hoss Sledgehammers on it, now I can barely keep it on it's wheels! It flips over so easily it's insane! Too much fun!

Rustler 4x4 VXL, 540XL
    Rustler 4x4

For sure! I also put the Hoss Sledgehammers on it, now I can barely keep it on it's wheels! It flips over so easily it's insane! Too much fun!

Rustler 4x4 VXL, 540XL
    I saw some pics you posted with the Sledgehammers. It looks really good. Sounds like you have it dialed in pretty good at this point.
    I was herding some Whitetail deer with the Maxx out in my field Saturday. Lol. They couldn't outrun it, and had to take cover in the woods.
    Maxx, Rustler 4x4 VXL, 1/16 E-Revo VXL, Slash 2wd

RC Enthusiast
    It’s ok lol no need to respond to this thread traxxas is sending it back all fixed up and also I ordered a traxxas maxx **** there goes my stimmy read some really good reviews on the maxx as well as a lot of people saying it’s super durable! Hopefully I have better luck with the maxx

RC poster
    I have broken MANY parts on mine, mainly due to my driving, lol. This was my 1st RC car and I had/have a lot to learn. I'm a much better driver after a few months and the car seems to hold together pretty good now. I bash in the yard, race on a clay outdoor track with jumps and race a paved road course too with different tires for each. I have upgraded some parts to aluminum, but remember that that adds weight. So I now stick to nylon parts from RPM. They're lighter than aluminum, but sturdier than the stock plastic parts. My son and grandsons have Slashes and many parts are interchangeable which is nice. As far a s a Max goes, my son has one of those too. It is more durable, but it breaks too and parts aren't as available.