Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Which aluminum steering bellcrank to go with on Maxx

So far, hot racing has a kit, integy has a kit, GPM racing and some other company called treal but I donít know which one to go with.

I was just curious on what others have used and if theyíve had good luck with it or not, thanks. Iíve only had my Maxx now for a little over two months and Iíve already got so much slack in the plastic bellcrank that itís already time to replace it and if the plastic one didnít last this long even with fairly easy driving that I donít think I want to replace it with another plastic one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Never buy anything integy for strength. The brand is notorious for making weak parts. If you want it to look cool then you can buy from integy but I only buy hot racing and GPM aluminum parts if not from traxxas. I have a GPM bellcrank in my merv and maxx and they both have been running great.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Treal makes one for the Maxx. Another forum user posted about using Treal aluminum bellcrank, forget what post it is.

I'm just a noob

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremercing View Post
    Never buy anything integy for strength. The brand is notorious for making weak parts. If you want it to look cool then you can buy from integy but I only buy hot racing and GPM aluminum parts if not from traxxas. I have a GPM bellcrank in my merv and maxx and they both have been running great.

I think maybe I have heard that once before about into Integy parts but no, Iím not necessarily buying stuff like this for looks, I would rather have strength because after all, thatís why Iím looking at moving away from plastic and wanting to go aluminum on the steering bellcrank because of in my opinion, how quickly the original plastic part already has so much slop and play in it.

I guess Iíll have to look into the GPM one because even though so far I like the hot racing parts that I have used, itís just that Iím a little hesitant to go with another hot racing part like this based on a prior experience from when I used hot racingĎs aluminum suspension rockers on my Revo 3.3 because I literally had to modify my rocker pivot post in order to have the new rocker go all the way down on it so that when I tightened up the screw that holds the rocker arm in place, there wouldnít be any binding.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    Treal makes one for the Maxx. Another forum user posted about using Treal aluminum bellcrank, forget what post it is.

Yeah, there was another member here that talked about it which is where I got the idea from it in the first place. Iíve just never heard anything about that brand like I have all the other ones.

RC Competitor
    The Treal works well with the Vitavon servo adapter and steering link. My buddy has the Hot Racing it works good also.

Last edited by JohnD@_FL; 03-29-2021 at 09:17 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I have the hot racing bellcrank, seems to be working good now. There is some trial and error involved with getting the tension right on the spring, then threadlocking it at the desired position.

Threadlock is a must on the knurled spring tensioner screw. I also had to crank that knurled quite tight to get the resistance I was looking for when using the chrome spring.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD@_FL View Post
    The Treal works well with the Vitavon servo adapter and steering link. My buddy has the Hot Racing it works good also.

So have you had to do what hambone has had to do with spring tension at all or was it just a simple install and use?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    So have you had to do what hambone has had to do with spring tension at all or was it just a simple install and use?

I do not see how they have not had to do the same thing. When I first set up the aluminum bellcrank I did not turn the knurled screw for enough tension (there are no instructions). After isolating the lack of tension as an issue I cranked down the tension tighter, this would result in good steering for a couple minutes but after a few jumps the steering would get slack again. After a couple iterations of this I figured out the knurled screw was backing out during jumping. The fix was to threadlock the knurled screw at the tension that worked for me. I have ran two packs since the threadlock with no issues. In hindsight, it is no surprise the screw was backing out, since the tension nut is aluminum on aluminum and the bell crank assembly also spins, a perfect recipe for a screw to back out. Instructions would of saved me some time and headache.

I am curious to hear if the other options do not have this issue!

RC Competitor
    I've had no problem with knurled knob , haven't touched it..my steering works as it should.

RC poster
    The Treal, comes with a much firmer spring and the spring adjuster knob is on very tightly ... it's a very nice part and Treal seems to be the only one using 7000 series aluminum on their parts (everyone else is using softer 6000 series aluminum), which is why I chose this brand... I don't know if it matters much, we'll see... very nice part

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by babyyoda View Post
    The Treal, comes with a much firmer spring and the spring adjuster knob is on very tightly ... it's a very nice part and Treal seems to be the only one using 7000 series aluminum on their parts (everyone else is using softer 6000 series aluminum), which is why I chose this brand... I don't know if it matters much, we'll see... very nice part
    Good to know.

RC Enthusiast
    Sounds like the treal is the best choice.

For what it is worth, I have put probably 7 or 8 packs through the hot racing crank without issue after loctighting the knurled screw.

RC Qualifier
    Well guys, thanks for everybodyís help. I went ahead and settled on the aluminum steering bellcrank from G p.m. I was really considering to go with the Treal but when I went to make the order and saw that it was coming from China and was going to take 42 to 55 business days to get here so I just decided to go with what Im hoping was the next best one so I guess weíll see how it works out.

I went ahead and got not only the steering bellcrank but the aluminum servo horn and a little three piece kit that consisted of the link that goes between the bellcrank and steering servo and the steel links that go from the bellcrank down to the front wheels.

RC Champion
    Let us know how it works ! I maybe the next in line

RC Champion
    Thanks for the info, checked their site and parts look nice and the higher grade aluminum is a big step in the right direction.

RC poster
    Well guys, thanks for everybodyís help. I went ahead and settled on the aluminum steering bellcrank from G p.m. I was really considering to go with the Treal but when I went to make the order and saw that it was coming from China and was going to take 42 to 55 business days to get here so I just decided to go with what Im hoping was the next best one so I guess weíll see how it works out.

I went ahead and got not only the steering bellcrank but the aluminum servo horn and a little three piece kit that consisted of the link that goes between the bellcrank and steering servo and the steel links that go from the bellcrank down to the front wheels.

got my Treal super fast on ebay

RC Qualifier

Which aluminum steering bellcrank to go with on Maxx

got my Treal super fast on ebay
    Where did you order yours from? Mustíve been from somebody local because Trealís website is in China which is still where my gpm parts are coming from.

Last edited by corneileous; 04-07-2021 at 07:14 AM.

RC Racer
    This is my next upgrade as my stock steering already has some slop after only 1 month of owning this truck. I think I'll also go with GPM bellcrank and the servo horn and tie rod, but not the toe links because I don't think this are widemaxx length are they?
    Also, I presume that Traxxas toe links will fit on the GPM bellcrank yeah?

Also guys, does it make sense to leave the toe links plastic to allow for some flex and also so that that's the weak spot rather than bending other aluminum parts? Or am I just talking nonsense?
    Last edited by DaniC; 04-07-2021 at 11:02 AM.

RC Champion
    Yep leave tow links alone

RC Enthusiast
    Guys, anyone tried the Hot Racing Steering Bellcrank yet? Worth the price?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Role View Post
    Yep leave tow links alone
    Cool. I'm actually wondering if it's better to leave the servo horn and steering link plastic and go aluminum on the toe links? Mainly because the toe links are more visible and will look nicer! But leaving the steering link plastic will still provide a bit of flexibility and a weak point so that that's the thing that breaks. But the more I think about this, isn't the servo saver (spring thingy in the bellcrank) exactly for that purpose, to provide flexibility so that if the wheels hit a bump or something that turns them in opposite direction from where the servo is turning then it won't break the steering or blow up the servo? So based on that last statement (and assuming it's true) then I might as well go all aluminum steering from the servo horn all the way to the toe links and trust the saver will take the abuse. I don't know! Decisions!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DaniC View Post
    Also guys, does it make sense to leave the toe links plastic to allow for some flex and also so that that's the weak spot rather than bending other aluminum parts? Or am I just talking nonsense?
    As said, leave the steering links alone for some flex.

Traxxas offers a steel servo horn, might get that to got with upgraded XMaxx servo. 8647X
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8947X

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
    As said, leave the steering links alone for some flex.

Traxxas offers a steel servo horn, might get that to got with upgraded XMaxx servo. 8647X
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8947X
    Maybe we're confusing terms. Are you guys saying leave the steering link or the toe links alone?

RC Racer
    Maybe we're confusing terms. Are you guys saying leave the steering link or the toe links alone?
    I hope they are confusing terms because I consider a aluminum (((toe link))) to be necessary for adjustability. Without it you can't really straighten out the tires. Leaving the (((linkage))) plastic is always a good idea though.

RC Competitor
    Where did you order yours from? Mustíve been from somebody local because Trealís website is in China which is still where my gpm parts are coming from.

I get treal products from ebay or amazon. Much faster than from China.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD@_FL View Post
    I get treal products from ebay or amazon. Much faster than from China.
    Maybe I shoulda went that route instead.

RC Enthusiast
    My whole steering assembly is metal except for the link between servo arm and bellcrank(by design). I clipped the side of my track last night and noticed my steering went out. Upon inspection I noticed that plastic link broke, which is exactly what I wanted. I'd rather replace $3 servo links than strip 2085x servos or bend any metal steering parts.

From experience, leaving one piece of plastic in the steering assembly is a good idea.
    Last edited by Jhambone9190; 04-11-2021 at 10:59 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhambone9190 View Post
    My whole steering assembly is metal except for the link between servo arm and bellcrank(by design). I clipped the side of my track last night and noticed my steering went out. Upon inspection I noticed that plastic link broke, which is exactly what I wanted. I'd rather replace $3 servo links than strip 2085x servos or bend any metal steering parts.

From experience, leaving one piece of plastic in the steering assembly is a good idea.
    Great anecdote! This is exactly what I'll be doing.

RC Racer
    Ok so I'm going for either the GPM or Treal. Got a question for those of you who already have the Treal bellcrank, does it include bearings and screws for the toe links? The listing on their website doesn't really mention anything, unlike GPM which do include all that stuff.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremercing View Post
    I hope they are confusing terms because I consider a aluminum (((toe link))) to be necessary for adjustability. Without it you can't really straighten out the tires. Leaving the (((linkage))) plastic is always a good idea though.
    They are tie rods to connect steering. Steel turnbuckles with plastic end links with steel pivot balls would be sturdiest but sometimes flex in some parts is good to prevent breakage, all depends on how it's being used.

RC Champion
    I just saw Traxxas calls them toe links, in automotive terms they're tie-rods, but yes we're referring to same parts lol.

RC poster
    This is my next upgrade as my stock steering already has some slop after only 1 month of owning this truck. I think I'll also go with GPM bellcrank and the servo horn and tie rod, but not the toe links because I don't think this are widemaxx length are they?
    Also, I presume that Traxxas toe links will fit on the GPM bellcrank yeah?

I have the GPM steering setup with the Traxxas toe links and T6 aluminum carriers. I also got the GPM front brace and all work well together. I reused the bearings from Traxxas, seemed a bit better, but it does include them. All of the parts are T6 aluminum and are holding up on all my cars no issues yet and I suck at driving ��. My only wish is that someone made a harder spring but I am nick picking. Plus the pricing for GPM is solid. You should be fine unless you pull a TrailerRC move with jumping your house.

RC Qualifier
    Well I got my parts in finally yesterday and got them put on but havenít drove the truck yet because it was raining pretty good. I like how the spring tension in the servo-saver part is adjustable with that knurled knob on top of it. I just left it be wherever they set it. Seems like really nice quality parts and right away, I noticed my steering is a lot tighter now with hardly any slack or slop at all.

The only two parts I wasnít able to use was the new metal toe links that run down to the axle carriers from the steering linkage because I guess I didnít take into consideration that I have the widemaxx kit on there already and when I ordered it all, I didnít look to see if they had two different packages with one being for the standard kit and one being for the widemaxx kit.

RC Competitor
    Well I got my parts in finally yesterday and got them put on but haven’t drove the truck yet because it was raining pretty good. I like how the spring tension in the servo-saver part is adjustable with that knurled knob on top of it. I just left it be wherever they set it. Seems like really nice quality parts and right away, I noticed my steering is a lot tighter now with hardly any slack or slop at all.

The only two parts I wasn’t able to use was the new metal toe links that run down to the axle carriers from the steering linkage because I guess I didn’t take into consideration that I have the widemaxx kit on there already and when I ordered it all, I didn’t look to see if they had two different packages with one being for the standard kit and one being for the widemaxx kit.

Good deal. I have the Treal hubs front and back , with the Treal steering knuckles. Been very impressed with the way their stuff fits and holds up.

RC poster
    Where did you order yours from? Must’ve been from somebody local because Treal’s website is in China which is still where my gpm parts are coming from.

No idea... just found an ebay seller with the part I wanted and reasonable delivery times

RC Enthusiast
    Mine are all Traxxas Aluminum.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TKDGirl84 View Post
    Mine are all Traxxas Aluminum.

Didnít know Traxxas made an aluminum bellcrank assembly for the Maxx....

RC Enthusiast
    Didnít know Traxxas made an aluminum bellcrank assembly for the Maxx....

I have aluminum hubs, caster blocks, steering blocks, toe links, axle carriers, splined hubs, wheel nuts. And I have the CV Driveshafts that I havenít installed yet!

RC Racer
    I ordered the teal bellcrank today. I kept getting slop on my steering no matter what I tried, I hope that solves that issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast