Thread: Steering Issue

RC poster

Steering Issue

After being in the closet for 3-5 years I brought it out this weekend. I noticed it has issues turning left. It will intermittently work fine. With the truck up off the ground, I can turn the wheel left and it slowly comes back towards center with the steering wheel held to the left. Everything seems free and nothing is binding up. Not sure if one or both of the servos are going out or what?? Any ideas? Thanks

RC poster
    I disconnected both steering arms from the servo on both sides and servos response is still hit and miss. It hold fine on full right turn but slowly returns to center while holding full left. Beginning to wonder if I have an issue with the factory transmitter or receiver?? Well I stripped the spur gear today and have an issue with my idle speed screw so I guess I’ll tinker all week to maybe run a little while next weekend!!

Do you have TSM? Try turning it off. It's been known to cause funny issues at times.

Another thing to try is to unplug each steering servo from the receiver and try one at a time.

RC poster
    It doesn’t have the TSM that I know of. It was bought back when the revo 1st come out some years ago and all the radio stuff is still stock. I will try unplugging them first chance I get and see what happens!

Testing all the channels/servos on the bench would help narrow the issue down. I would unplug everything from the receiver, including the opti-drive module if equipped with one.

Then start testing. Only plug one servo in and see what happens. Then plug the other one in and see what happens. Then plug the throttle servo in, and then reverse servo. If you have an issue with just one steering servo plugged in and nothing else that would point towards the receiver.

You can even try plugging in the throttle servo into the steering slots (CH1's) and see if that servo drifts.

RC poster
    I tried disconnecting the servo on each side and unhooked each from controller with no different action. Also un hooked the opti drive sensor but still the same. It really feels like something in the wheel on the remote. I can hold it turning left and move it up and down and the servos respond. Now to figure out if I can somehow clean the inside of it?

RC poster
    I finally returned with answers! I finally had time to tear the remote apart and try to spray the steering pot with contact cleaner. I hated to pry the metal tabs back to actually open the pot without a replacement on hand. So I just sprayed around the shaft while working it back and forth. I guess a little made its way in because it is definitely 110% better! Not sure how long this will last, maybe long enough to try and trade it for an electric job or may even get better just using it? Thanks for the help

Good news indeed!