RC poster

Is it safe to run vxl 2wd on 3s??

Hey guys , was looking to run my stampede 2wd vxl that I purchased new last year on 3s so I was wondering what would i have to upgrade when running 3s if anything at all. I've read some post where nothing was needed but I also have read that I should change the pinion gear and tooth spur to 30pin/83tooth combo ....I want to make sure I don't destroy the motor as im sure ill destroy enough part on 3s
    Also I plan on going back and forth from 2s to 3s which would be best pin gear and tooth spur combo to use for both batteries if I cant use the stock set-up???

My current battery is a 2cell Lipo 5800 mah 25c and I plan on purchasing an HOOVO 3cell 5200 mah 60c battery.

Thanks

I run 3s with 16/90 gearing in my stampede. If it is hot outside, you might have to be careful, but it will work well for most applications.
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?

RC Qualifier
    19/90 is stock gearing. 30/83 is really high, unless you have a low kv motor.
    That’s speed run gearing, not good for bashing or sustained use. It will kill a vxl!
    Slash 4x4 rear axles are a nice, cheap upgrade for your 2wd Stampede on 3S.

Quote Originally Posted by fortunespoonz View Post
    19/90 is stock gearing. 30/83 is really high, unless you have a low kv motor.
    Thatís speed run gearing, not good for bashing or sustained use. It will kill a vxl!
    Slash 4x4 rear axles are a nice, cheap upgrade for your 2wd Stampede on 3S.
    19/90 is not stock gearing for the Stampede VXL. Stock gearing for the VXL Stampede is 19/86 and for the XL-5 Stampede, it is 16/90.
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?

RC Qualifier
    I stand corrected

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So long as the gearing is right and you try and not point it anybody before dropping the hammer, you should be safe.
    https://www.instagram.com/greenjeep1998/?hl=en

As with any motor and/or gearing changes, closely monitor ESC and motor tenps every 5 minutes and adjust accordingly.

Test test test...

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Champion
    3s on the 2wd is fine, just watch the temps as mentioned already and adjust the slipper so it isn’t too tight(uncontrolled wheelies and flips) or too loose (overheating slipper pads)

RC Enthusiast
    I've never felt the need to run 3S on my Stampede 2WD. 2S is already more than it can handle, wheelies on demand and it rolls over if you're turning faster than 25mph.