Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Nitro questions

Quote Originally Posted by JJBurck View Post
    I'm fairly new to nitro and bought a used t-maxx. When its running out of fuel it starts rev up a lot. Just wondering if this is normal because I've had a revo for about a month and it revs up a tiny bit before running out of fuel but the maxx revs up WAY higher than the revo.
    Yes the Tmaxx will be leaner than a Revo when the fuel is low.

The Tmaxx fuel tank is the problem. The problem is when the fuel tank is full, the fuel itself is higher than the carburetor which leads to a richer setting. When the full tank is half full the fuel level is even with the carb, (this is where you should tune a Tmaxx). When the fuel tank is low the fuel is lower than the carb which creates a leaner setting. If the fuel tank is full when a Tmaxx is tuned for performance, you run the risk of being too lean when the fuel level gets low.

Back in the day many replaced the Tmaxx fuel tank with a low profile OFNA tank which fixed the rich to lean change on the tune as the fuel level dropped.

On the Revo the fuel tank is mounted lower and the fuel level itself (either full or empty) is always lower than the carb. This set up doesn't have the problem the Tmaxx does.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Yes the Tmaxx will be leaner than a Revo when the fuel is low.

The Tmaxx fuel tank is the problem. The problem is when the fuel tank is full, the fuel itself is higher than the carburetor which leads to a richer setting. When the full tank is half full the fuel level is even with the carb, (this is where you should tune a Tmaxx). When the fuel tank is low the fuel is lower than the carb which creates a leaner setting. If the fuel tank is full when a Tmaxx is tuned for performance, you run the risk of being too lean when the fuel level gets low.

Back in the day many replaced the Tmaxx fuel tank with a low profile OFNA tank which fixed the rich to lean change on the tune as the fuel level dropped.

On the Revo the fuel tank is mounted lower and the fuel level itself (either full or empty) is always lower than the carb. This set up doesn't have the problem the Tmaxx does.
    Wait, so should I still tune my Revo at half tank, or is it okay to tune it on a full tank?
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?

I still tune it at half a tank.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    I still tune it at half a tank.
    Okay, good. That is what I have been doing as well.

Does anyone know where a good electric conversion kit for the Revo 3.3 can be found? I have been looking all over, but I can't seem to find the Tekno one anywhere because I think it has been discontinued.

By the way, I am not making my current Revo 3.3 electric, but I thought that later down the line, it would be cool to build an electric one that still has the 2 speed automatic transmission (and maybe just for kicks keep the mechanical reverse too).

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpider25 View Post
    Does anyone know where a good electric conversion kit for the Revo 3.3 can be found? I have been looking all over, but I can't seem to find the Tekno one anywhere because I think it has been discontinued.

By the way, I am not making my current Revo 3.3 electric, but I thought that later down the line, it would be cool to build an electric one that still has the 2 speed automatic transmission (and maybe just for kicks keep the mechanical reverse too).
    I think Integy also makes a conversion kit, but that might also be discontinued. I looked on eBay and I did find one for a 5th scale motor (not sure if that's ideal, but it might give you some ideas):
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/28300730197...waAnyrEALw_wcB

Here's also a semi-recent thread I could find about this topic:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...ess-conversion
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Thanks for all the info! Really helpful! I most likely would want a rear exhaust (rear tire would probably get oily and stuff with a side exhaust) so it's probably down to the Slayer and Revo! With further research, the Slayer does not have reverse either, but I don't really mind that. Hmmm... Revo it is! (hopefully, I will manage to save up fast enough to get one by the end of this year) And yes, I will definitely try to save nitro.
    Don't jump a TMAXX with a rear exhaust, it's not protected. The only Rear Exhaust that provided enough backpressure was the THS Rear Exhaust. The Integy Rear Exhaust did not perform well. I would say 90% of the guys I've known who had a rear exhaust and bashed or raced had constant header pipe issues from landings after jumps... If you don't believe it just do a search on this forum "TMAXX Rear Exhaust" You will see what others experienced.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

Quote Originally Posted by VisionSlash42 View Post
    Fuel at mine is $80 CAD a gallon. Main reason why I have a bone-stock brushed Slash: Budget. But if you can afford it, get it!
    I got mine from Great Hobbies for $53.00 per gallon
    https://www.greathobbies.com/product...rod_id=TRX5070
    Philippians 2:10-11
    Have a nice day! :)

https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/...OBBf7f2NDv9h_2
    Just got my Revo 3.3 two weeks ago, still in the process of breaking in. I'm on my 5th tank.

Quote Originally Posted by MRSRT8 View Post
    https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/...OBBf7f2NDv9h_2
    Just got my Revo 3.3 two weeks ago, still in the process of breaking in. I'm on my 5th tank.
    Your link doesn't work. Thats cool that you got a Revo 3.3 though!

I think Integy also makes a conversion kit, but that might also be discontinued. I looked on eBay and I did find one for a 5th scale motor (not sure if that's ideal, but it might give you some ideas):
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/28300730197...waAnyrEALw_wcB

Here's also a semi-recent thread I could find about this topic:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...ess-conversion
    Yeah, I saw the 5th scale motor mount. I don't really know why someone would want to put something like that inside of their Revo though, as it would most likely make the truck weigh too much for bashing (a heavy truck will probably break more easily). The reason why I liked the Tekno kit was because it had mounting stuff for pretty much everything (including the battery tray). There are motor mounts available on eBay, but they are just the mount, so I would still have to fab up a way to put everything else on. The Revo's chassis does not really cater toward easy electric conversion, because once you take the plastic overhangs off, there is really no room for much of anything. I would then have to fab up stuff for that, but I just don't like how janky the homemade stuff ends up looking. Parts made by big companies (the good companies) end up looking a lot cleaner than something that I would probably be able to easily make in my basement.
    Last edited by GreenSpider25; 05-10-2021 at 06:12 PM.

Yeah, I saw the 5th scale motor mount. I don't really know why someone would want to put something like that inside of their Revo though, as it would most likely make the truck weigh too much for bashing (a heavy truck will probably break more easily). The reason why I liked the Tekno kit was because it had mounting stuff for pretty much everything (including the battery tray). There are motor mounts available on eBay, but they are just the mount, so I would still have to fab up a way to put everything else on. The Revo's chassis does not really cater toward easy electric conversion, because once you take the plastic overhangs off, there is really no room for much of anything. I would then have to fab up stuff for that, but I just don't like how janky the homemade stuff ends up looking. Parts made by big companies (the good companies) end up looking a lot cleaner than something that I would probably be able to easily make in my basement.
    I found another one from a different seller that is cheaper, but I am not sure if it is 1/10th scale or if it is the same 1/5th scale one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/33254511349...Cclp%3A2334524

Another idea is to get the 5th scale motor mount and attach an aluminum plate to it, and drill the holes needed to attach the motor (a motor adapter of some sort).

Edit: I took another look at the pictures of each mount and it looks like the second one is smaller, but it is hard to tell from the camera angles (look at the mount height compared to the spur gear):

1/5th mount:

Second mount:
    Last edited by RCWilly; 05-10-2021 at 07:06 PM.

RC poster
    My how the price of fuel has gone up in 30 years! I have a gallon jug of Morgan Omega 10% with a price tag of $13.95 on it. About half full and it looks good and still smell of nitro hadn't thrown it out yet and decided to see if my old Nitro Hawk would still run on it and surprising it burns like new. I have new fuel coming from Traxxas and the one quart bottle costs more then that gallon jug did. I was going to wait for fresh but thinking now I just might have to use it up and not waste it. I know it is at least 20 years old, maybe 25+, as that is the last time I had the truck running.

Quote Originally Posted by skibik View Post
    My how the price of fuel has gone up in 30 years! I have a gallon jug of Morgan Omega 10% with a price tag of $13.95 on it. About half full and it looks good and still smell of nitro hadn't thrown it out yet and decided to see if my old Nitro Hawk would still run on it and surprising it burns like new. I have new fuel coming from Traxxas and the one quart bottle costs more then that gallon jug did. I was going to wait for fresh but thinking now I just might have to use it up and not waste it. I know it is at least 20 years old, maybe 25+, as that is the last time I had the truck running.
    That's inflation for you! That's cool that you got back into the hobby again!
    Last edited by GreenSpider25; 05-10-2021 at 07:11 PM.

RC poster
    Back in the late 80's into the early 90's I used to race. First we ran outdoors had an oval dirt track to begin with then we built a lemans course. I started with a Tamiya Blackfoot then upgraded to a Traxxas Blue Eagle. Since it seemed like a lot of things happened in the summer so we moved to indoor racing in the winter so I switched the Blue Eagle to foam tires for carpet and put spacers on the inside of the shock to lower the CG. We were just a small rural club and it all kind of fizzled out by '93 or '94. By the time I was done racing I had gotten the Nitro Hawk when they rolled out. I also have a Koyosho USA-1 Nitro Crusher(almost like new) also picked up a Dumas Scarab 48" v-hull with a weed whacker engine(kind of in pieces) all of which have not been running in 20-25 years. I have retired at a somewhat early age and it has been kind of boring so started getting these old models running. Had the Eagle out and broke a turnbuckle end got that fixed but the batteries are weak. A week ago I got the Nitro Hawk going but was having trouble tuning it and kind of figured it was the fuel so I gave up. I have some on the way but this past Saturday I decided to try again and it turned out the fuel is good but my tuning is not up to par. I thought I was running way too rich but after watching a lot of tuning videos it turned out I was running way too lean. I got it running and it was running smooth but still needed some work on the LSN but by the time I got half into the second tank I broke a rear hub carrier and lost the turnbuckle and couldn't find it. I had a spare carrier along and rod ends but without the turnbuckle I was done. These old models the plastic is brittle so it doesn't take much to break something. It was fun while it lasted.

I found another one from a different seller that is cheaper, but I am not sure if it is 1/10th scale or if it is the same 1/5th scale one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/33254511349...Cclp%3A2334524

Another idea is to get the 5th scale motor mount and attach an aluminum plate to it, and drill the holes needed to attach the motor (a motor adapter of some sort).

Edit: I took another look at the pictures of each mount and it looks like the second one is smaller, but it is hard to tell from the camera angles (look at the mount height compared to the spur gear):

1/5th mount:

Second mount:
    The mount for the smaller motor would probably work, but I will still have to fab up everything else for mounting the rest of the electronics (which I guess I could do).

Having problem posting photo attachment
    Anyway, check out my new avatar
    Last edited by MRSRT8; 05-10-2021 at 09:47 PM.

The mount for the smaller motor would probably work, but I will still have to fab up everything else for mounting the rest of the electronics (which I guess I could do).
    Having a good motor mount is really the main obstacle, so the rest shouldn't be too hard to do. You can probably take a look at other electric Revo 3.3s and see what layout they have and maybe take inspiration from (or copy) them.

Nice Revo!

As for the photo, you can use the Tapatalk app (if using phone), or an image hosting site like Imgur (if using computer or laptop). Copy and paste the "BBCode" in and you should be set.

Having a good motor mount is really the main obstacle, so the rest shouldn't be too hard to do. You can probably take a look at other electric Revo 3.3s and see what layout they have and maybe take inspiration from (or copy) them.
    Yeah, maybe, but have you ever seen a stripped Revo chassis? The design makes it a bit more challenging to mount flat things to the chassis without bolting them to plates on the sides. The mounting of the ESC looks like it would be the most challenging part of the conversion.

Cool Revo! I use ImgBB https://imgbb.com/ for my images.

Nice Revo!

As for the photo, you can use the Tapatalk app (if using phone), or an image hosting site like Imgur (if using computer or laptop). Copy and paste the "BBCode" in and you should be set.
    Thanks guys!
    I'll try it next time.

Cool Revo! I use ImgBB https://imgbb.com/ for my images.
    https://ibb.co/zN9pyrn
    1st time using this app

Here you go.

Here you go.
    Thank you!

So I think an update on my Revo 3.3 is due again. Traxxas sent me a new shift servo to replace the one that died, but they sent me a 2065 instead of a 2065A. I contacted them and they said that it would work fine, so I installed it. When I tried to put the horn on with it in forward, when I shifted to reverse, it made stripping sounds, so I stopped, took off the horn and looked for damage, and everything looked to me to be at least mostly okay. I then shifted the servo with no linkage connected and it seemed to be fine. So I put the linkage on again, but this time I did it with the servo in the reverse position and the linkage in the reverse position. Now it compresses the spring on the transmission a lot, and with the servo cover on, the linkage will hit the cover and make the same stripping sound.

How am I supposed to set this up so that it will not do this? This truck is really getting on my nerves now. I just want it to run!

RC poster
    I know nothing about those shifting transmissions but can you leave the old or the new servo in so it holds it in the forward gear and not use the shifter? I am just spit balling here. You sound like your having about as good of a time as I am having trying to get my old Nitro Hawk running. Been out 3 times and have broken something each time, but then again it is 30 years old. Still haven't got a handle on tuning it but getting closer though. I like Traxxas but what I don't like is it takes 5 days for the parts to ship and another 5-6 days to get them.
    Last edited by skibik; Yesterday at 10:09 PM.
    Just trying to act like a kid again!

I know nothing about those shifting transmissions but can you leave the old or the new servo in so it holds it in the forward gear and not use the shifter? I am just spit balling here. You sound like your having about as good of a time as I am having trying to get my old Nitro Hawk running. Been out 3 times and have broken something each time, but then again it is 30 years old. Still haven't got a handle on tuning in but getting closer though. I like Traxxas but what I don't like is it takes 5 days for the parts to ship and another 5-6 days to get them.
    I want my reverse. I have waited nearly 2 weeks for this, so I am not about to just lock it in forward only.

RC poster
    I want my reverse. I have waited nearly 2 weeks for this, so I am not about to just lock it in forward only.
    It was just a thought so you could get out so you could run it.
    Just trying to act like a kid again!

It was just a thought so you could get out so you could run it.
    I would do that so I could run it, but it (once again) is wet outside this weekend, so I want to fix it properly in this time I have.

So I think an update on my Revo 3.3 is due again. Traxxas sent me a new shift servo to replace the one that died, but they sent me a 2065 instead of a 2065A. I contacted them and they said that it would work fine, so I installed it. When I tried to put the horn on with it in forward, when I shifted to reverse, it made stripping sounds, so I stopped, took off the horn and looked for damage, and everything looked to me to be at least mostly okay. I then shifted the servo with no linkage connected and it seemed to be fine. So I put the linkage on again, but this time I did it with the servo in the reverse position and the linkage in the reverse position. Now it compresses the spring on the transmission a lot, and with the servo cover on, the linkage will hit the cover and make the same stripping sound.

How am I supposed to set this up so that it will not do this? This truck is really getting on my nerves now. I just want it to run!
    That is pretty annoying. Does the shift servo assembly look anything like this (from a TRX-4)?

You can also try taking another look at the exploded view of the truck. If for some reason this servo doesn't fit/work, you can contact Traxxas Support again (if you are willing to wait), or get an upgraded servo that fits so this won't happen again.

Hopefully, you can get this fixed soon!

Does the shift servo assembly look anything like this (from a TRX-4)?

I wish the servos were closer without the excessive linkages. It would be nice if they were shorter like the TRX4's.

The forward/reverse shifting servo is the one on the bottom.
    (single linkage rod connected)

You can also try taking another look at the exploded view of the truck. If for some reason this servo doesn't fit/work, you can contact Traxxas Support again (if you are willing to wait), or get an upgraded servo that fits so this won't happen again.

The problem is with the endpoints. The servo works fine. I just don't know if there is a way to adjust the endpoints for CH3. If I can't adjust the endpoints, then I guess I will just have to give up reverse (or wait a long time for a reasonable way to fix my problem). This just sucks because I already had to give up optidrive because it was making my truck run away .

A Traxxas employee said that the dead servo may have been causing my optidrive problem. Do you think this is true? I am just scared to use the optidrive again because it made the throttle on my truck unresponsive when it was throwing the error.
    Last edited by GreenSpider25; Today at 12:21 AM.

The problem is with the endpoints. The servo works fine. I just don't know if there is a way to adjust the endpoints for CH3. If I can't adjust the endpoints, then I guess I will just have to give up reverse (or wait a long time for a reasonable way to fix my problem). This just sucks because I already had to give up optidrive because it was making my truck run away .

A Traxxas employee said that the dead servo may have been causing my optidrive problem. Do you think this is true? I am just scared to use the optidrive again because it made the throttle on my truck unresponsive when it was throwing the error.
    Endpoints... does it go too much in one direction or in both directions? If it's just in one direction, you try re-centering it and see if it works (nine times out of ten works on the TRX-4 shift servos). Otherwise, you may have to get an endpoint limiter for the servo or get a radio system that can set endpoints on channel 3 (the TQi is not able to set endpoints on channel 3).

As for Optidrive, I am not completely sure how it works other than it controls the reverse servo. How does Optidrive cause a runaway?
    Last edited by RCWilly; Today at 01:26 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234