Thread: Steering issue

RC poster

Steering issue

Been drooling watching xmaxx videos for the last 4 years.

I never managed to buy one as there about 1400$ after tax in canada.

Well a few days ago i seen a bnib one for 1100$ on kijiji and bought it.

I know what goes wrong on them. But am currently broke af after buying one lol.

So i went out today for its first run. Just doin some wheelies and driving on some pavement.

After about twenty minutes of play well the battery was losing some of its go go juice.
    I noticed for a few seconds it refused to turn right but then worked fine so i kept going.
    About 5minutes later it wont turn right. I even tryed by hand and the tires wont go.
    At first i thought maybe a rock got in there but dont have the tools to check.
    But then i remembered the servos suck aswell. So im wondering. Did the servo go out cause i doupth after all the videos ive watched that a rock would stop it lol.

I am super broke after buying it. So im prob screwed for a month or two. However a few years ago i bought some stuff to upgrade my hpi savage x 4.6 nitro and never used them. One of those items being either a savox or hitec high torque speed metal gear servo which was recommended for that truck. I cant check till later as my wife is ashleep. But im wondering if i can use it. I did see like a servo mount for a normal servo for the xmaxx im wondering if id need it.

Also i recall that on the savage if i used a savox servo that i woulda had to of bought something else to stop the servo from browning out the battery. I was wondering if that is a thing on the xmaxx. I believe the servo had two ratings on it for 6v and 7.4v. I will check later and post it here to make sure.

Thanks to anyone who read this far.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribstomp View Post
    Been drooling watching xmaxx videos for the last 4 years.

I never managed to buy one as there about 1400$ after tax in canada.

Well a few days ago i seen a bnib one for 1100$ on kijiji and bought it.

I know what goes wrong on them. But am currently broke af after buying one lol.

So i went out today for its first run. Just doin some wheelies and driving on some pavement.

After about twenty minutes of play well the battery was losing some of its go go juice.
    I noticed for a few seconds it refused to turn right but then worked fine so i kept going.
    About 5minutes later it wont turn right. I even tryed by hand and the tires wont go.
    At first i thought maybe a rock got in there but dont have the tools to check.
    But then i remembered the servos suck aswell. So im wondering. Did the servo go out cause i doupth after all the videos ive watched that a rock would stop it lol.

I am super broke after buying it. So im prob screwed for a month or two. However a few years ago i bought some stuff to upgrade my hpi savage x 4.6 nitro and never used them. One of those items being either a savox or hitec high torque speed metal gear servo which was recommended for that truck. I cant check till later as my wife is ashleep. But im wondering if i can use it. I did see like a servo mount for a normal servo for the xmaxx im wondering if id need it.

Also i recall that on the savage if i used a savox servo that i woulda had to of bought something else to stop the servo from browning out the battery. I was wondering if that is a thing on the xmaxx. I believe the servo had two ratings on it for 6v and 7.4v. I will check later and post it here to make sure.

Thanks to anyone who read this far.
    Mate, welcome to the Traxxas Forum, I hope you enjoy your monster. The stock servo in X-Maxx have a breaker in it, when the servo gets hot, the breaker cut the power to it. It's your Savox or Hitec servo 1/10, you can use it in the X-Maxx, with the 7749 adapter, it's a cheap part to use aftermarket servos. Remenber to use it in 6.0 volts only with the stock RX.

RC Champion
    Welcome

Check and make sure that tsm is off on the transmitter (tx) with the multifunction knob. Tsm for some people causes problem and loss of steering.

Also where the servo saver is sometimes rocks, grass and other debris will get caught up in there and you will loose steering to one side normally. Cleaning out of debris then solves issue.

Stock xmaxx servo is about 400oz torque.

If your old servo is that strong could use it. But would also have to get a 5mm spline 25t servo horn as the stock 2085 servo used a 7mm spline. 25t

Never heard of were you got it. If new in box from a regular retailer. Can call traxxas about warranty replacement if things break within 30 days

They will probably be closed this Sunday but who knows.

Hope you get out to having fun again soon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thanls for the replys and welcomming.

Am i able to set the servo to use 6v only?
    I will grab it and post it here in about 12hours so hopefully someone can answer me then.
    Will deffinatly look into buying the adapter etc once i can check.
    I turned tsm off about halfway threw once i realized what that nob was for. My wheels are literally locked from going right. Zero give. I assume i have to take it apart to check for rocks? Yea i have never wrenched on an rc yet so kinda nervous but gotta pop that cherry.
    Kijiji is pretty much canadas version of craigslist. Im not worryed about warranty as i expected to replace the esc and servo at somepoint anyways. Along with bigger bearings.
    I will post the servo later today so if anyone has the time pls check this thread later today and lmk if its good.

Do i need to take it apart to check for rocks? Cause im watching a video of a guy (pat) kevin talbots friend changing his servo and im thinkin if i gotta do all that just to get to some rocks then ill just change it out.

I did ask the guy why he was selling it and he said he bought it as a gift for his son as his son was showing interest in the bigger trucks. But then he realized it was a bad idea as his son showed no care towards his trucks.

RC poster
    Hmm figured it woulda been better considerin its 170$ cdn.. still bnib to.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribstomp View Post
    Hmm figured it woulda been better considerin its 170$ cdn.. still bnib to.

That servo would be to weak for the xmaxx.

To check for rocks. Remove the body. And look in the area where servo horn and links are and the steering tie rods connect.

Normally don't need to remove anything. It would be pretty obvious.

Another option to test servo is to remove the steering link arm from the servo horn to the servo saver. Then turn car on. If servo horn goes back into place and turns left and right. Then probably all good connect back up the screw or two

I think xmaxx is one of the easier cars to work on.

Search google for xmaxx 8s parts explosion and book mark the 5 or so pages. And or print out. Shows all the parts and numbers and how it all goes together.

Another possibility is that the servo gears stripped

If that's a case google how to replace xmaxx servo. There will be a number of vids on this. Once servo is out. Can power up and see if works. If does perhaps something binding up in the steering linkage that you missed. Is servo just keeps running and spinning around and around. Means a gear inside broke.

Sometimes you can just turn a gear 180 and put back in and it will work. Only a portion of of the gears are used ..

Otherwise can look for replacement metal gear set which is about 25 to 30$ usd think part # is 2087x

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk