Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Retro

RC Qualifier

Project Retro

Following on from ĎProject Stormyí - my RNLI Defender build for my son, I thought I should start a thread for the build of my TRX4 Defender. Managed to get (reluctant!!) agreement that I can buy my own one so we can mess about with them together! [emoji16]

Having to go slow on this one as I need to wait until after my son gets his for his 5th birthday in June, but in the meantime Iíve been collecting and modifying parts for the build.

The plan is to make a replica of my 1:1 Defender 110 (whilst keeping the lexan body). My full size one has a retro look - Keswick Green paint, mesh grille and deep dish steel wheels.

So far Iíve got myself some more realistic bumpers (should also help approach and departure angles), front bash plate, some number plates, roof rack ladder, and I have made a mesh grille out of brass (needs painting).

The wheels are RC4WD Rally rims, with chrome trims removed, holes filled and painted in Land Rover Limestone, then shod in Proline Grunts.

Iím going to risk painting a clear body in automotive paint (Keswick Green to match), having tested some scrap lexan with Tamiya flat clear as a base. It seems to adhere really well, so fingers crossed! The body should arrive later this week, so hopefully a few more pics to follow...

Hereís what Iím trying to recreate:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I already see hours just in the wheels..lol
    This will be cool to follow..
    That 1:1 rig is clean and looks like a fun driver!
    Crazy! We were posting new projects at the same time..[emoji106][emoji2]

Have a great day Steeeve.. I'm headed off to work [emoji45]

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by radio uncontrol View Post
    I already see hours just in the wheels..lol
    This will be cool to follow..
    That 1:1 rig is clean and looks like a fun driver!
    Crazy! We were posting new projects at the same time..[emoji106][emoji2]

Have a great day Steeeve.. I'm headed off to work [emoji45]

[emoji1787] Too true! Many hours in the wheels... Was quicker to get the 1:1 ones painted!

You have a great day too - at least work pays for the toys! [emoji16]

RC Qualifier
    This is going to be nice project. I really like these D110. I've built a Camel Trophy one and enjoyed every second of it. It's even more fun taking out on the trails.

It's a bit risky painting a lexan body on the outside. The paint will probably stick, but in the long term, every little knock on the body, could make it peel off or reveil the clear underneath. Maybe you should consider doing some rust color on the inside, or even apply a few coats from your color to protect it if any scratches occur.

Of course a hard body would be a killer, if you are looking for extra scale looks

RC Qualifier
    Yes I think I saw the pics of your Camel build - absolutely fantastic!!

The plan is to paint a clear Defender body from the inside, not the outside. It seems to stick well if you use Tamiya flat clear polycarbonate paint as a Ďprimerí. Time will tell how durable this will be, but itís not going to be doing silly speeds so hopefully any roll-overs cause minimal damage. Fingers crossed! [emoji16]

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeeve View Post
    Following on from ‘Project Stormy’ - my RNLI Defender build for my son, I thought I should start a thread for the build of my TRX4 Defender. Managed to get (reluctant!!) agreement that I can buy my own one so we can mess about with them together! [emoji16]

Having to go slow on this one as I need to wait until after my son gets his for his 5th birthday in June, but in the meantime I’ve been collecting and modifying parts for the build.

The plan is to make a replica of my 1:1 Defender 110 (whilst keeping the lexan body). My full size one has a retro look - Keswick Green paint, mesh grille and deep dish steel wheels.

So far I’ve got myself some more realistic bumpers (should also help approach and departure angles), front bash plate, some number plates, roof rack ladder, and I have made a mesh grille out of brass (needs painting).

The wheels are RC4WD Rally rims, with chrome trims removed, holes filled and painted in Land Rover Limestone, then shod in Proline Grunts.

I’m going to risk painting a clear body in automotive paint (Keswick Green to match), having tested some scrap lexan with Tamiya flat clear as a base. It seems to adhere really well, so fingers crossed! The body should arrive later this week, so hopefully a few more pics to follow...

This is serious Stuff !

NOTE: This 1/1 Rack is killing me - can not found anywhere (did, but made by a guy in 3D printing for cosmetic purpose only as his rack is very fragile). I need one in 1:10 on my rescue project and I am in a process to make one, but with some 3D printing parts that will be screwed on a metal rack - result may be ugly .... if someone can find a good alternative, it will de great
    Last edited by Bach; 04-05-2021 at 07:25 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Wow those scale roof racks are stunning. I can see a hardbody project coming on, especially as mine is a heavy duty Brownchurch rack, the same as the early Camel Trophy ones... [emoji23]

Yes the external cage and rack are the biggest areas where Iíll have to accept a compromise. Would love to do something a bit more scale but I want this build to be durable and useable so Iíll be sticking with the standard Traxxas setup.

Does anyone make a hardshell roof tent? I have a fibreglass Autohome one on mine but havenít seen a scale version anywhere... (doesnít have to open! [emoji1787]).

RC Qualifier

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
    Thank you! Feels a bit too nice for a roll-over in the mud! [emoji23][emoji51]

Iím trying a bit of lateral thinking, hunting for plastic containers of a similar shape... Any excuse to try out all the local take-aways! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji502]

RC Qualifier
    You could try 3d printing one

RC Qualifier
    I do have a friend with a 3D printer, so yes thatís definitely an option... [emoji106] Thanks.

Your patience and craftsmanship is great... I can't wait to see how this one turns out!

I am going the other way now... going to slap a body on my street rig and give it a simple paint job. Always wanted a basher body to rip with! Burning Chrome was fun, but required too much effort to play with (early morning runs on a road that didn't have much traffic was few and far between living in the city). Street/dirt basher conversion is up next!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    That sounds fantastic Squeegie, it would be a shame to destroy that body...

Must admit that my logic has been very similar - itís all about how I can maximise the enjoyment of our rigs. Slash4x4 for bashing - dirt, water and skate park, Slash 2WD for the beach (less parts to get damaged by sand!) and TRX-4 for adventures in the local woods. Itís a bit like full size cars, you need one for every occasion right?! [emoji1787][emoji23][emoji23]

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
    Wow, this is a very nice online store for camel trophy defender guys !

I am looking for this kind of rack

It would be like the later model on the camel trophy D110, but shorter or later model but for D90.

Also, 35usd for shipping - ouch !
    Last edited by Bach; 04-05-2021 at 02:33 PM.

RC Racer
    Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada-The Wet Coast!
    Yeah, $35 is nuts for shipping!
    Slash 2WD Vision Edition
    200+ posts, here I come!

RC Qualifier
    Well I finally hit the order button for my TRX-4... Reckon I can hide it away until after my son gets his and work on it in the meantime when heís in bed!

Clear bodyshell should be here tomorrow too, so I can make a start.

Iíve also ordered softer springs, having looked at how my sonís rig behaves and doing some online research. Should also help me achieve a slightly more scale ride height. Iím ordering the ones marked in blue as a starting point for some experimenting:

Iím going to pair this with much lighter damper oil (10wt) as the stock setup feels very over-damped and not all that smooth to be honest.

I am also modifying a front underbody bash plate - firstly to look more like the one on my Defender and secondly to retain some lead ballast.

Not much more progress to report, other than spraying the mesh front grille!

Congrats on pulling the trigger on your TRX-4! I still want a TRX-4 Sport kit, but can’t justify it... yet.

RC Qualifier
    If you want to lower the ride height, a cheap and efficient way is the pen spring mod

RC Racer
    I did this mod and didnít really think much of it....so I took it out....Iím sure it will help in certain situations

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the info regarding the pen spring mod. Iím sure it works well for people but Iím personally not too sure about fitting these when thereís no proper spring seat inside the shock. I have visions of it gradually wearing away at the piston and the shock body. Iím probably worrying about nothing but...

Generally though, it feels like it could take softer springs (especially on the front) and theyíre fairy cheap to experiment with, so Iím hoping this frees up some useable travel. The static ride height reduction is an added bonus really.

RC Racer
    Well I finally hit the order button for my TRX-4... Reckon I can hide it away until after my son gets his and work on it in the meantime when he’s in bed!

Clear bodyshell should be here tomorrow too, so I can make a start.

I’ve also ordered softer springs, having looked at how my son’s rig behaves and doing some online research. Should also help me achieve a slightly more scale ride height. I’m ordering the ones marked in blue as a starting point for some experimenting:

I’m going to pair this with much lighter damper oil (10wt) as the stock setup feels very over-damped and not all that smooth to be honest.

Nice finding Steeeve ! I may try this one day, and will for sure follow your setup experimentation

My though, would perhaps try those springs on the stock oil first. I fear would be as the softer spring will lower the body, shock working travel under load would be less. So high damping may help to avoid the shock to hit it lower stop to often.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Bach, yes itís a good point, I will probably do one step at a time - especially as it would be good to learn what each change does in isolation.

The softer springs may be a bit too far with the heavy Defender body, but it will be good to see how far I can get with Traxxas parts...

I guess the factory setup has to be a good compromise between crawling and trail running and bashing. This will be mostly a crawler so hopefully wonít be crashing through full travel too often! [emoji1787][emoji1696]

RC Qualifier
    Does anyone make a hardshell roof tent? I have a fibreglass Autohome one on mine but havenít seen a scale version anywhere... (doesnít have to open![/QUOTE]

This is probably as close as you will get 'off the shelf' buying..but painted tan it has some potential..the measurements work out to be much larger than what it looks like in the pics [emoji106]

RC Competitor
    Wow those scale roof racks are stunning. I can see a hardbody project coming on, especially as mine is a heavy duty Brownchurch rack, the same as the early Camel Trophy ones... [emoji23]

Yes the external cage and rack are the biggest areas where I’ll have to accept a compromise. Would love to do something a bit more scale but I want this build to be durable and useable so I’ll be sticking with the standard Traxxas setup.

Does anyone make a hardshell roof tent? I have a fibreglass Autohome one on mine but haven’t seen a scale version anywhere... (doesn’t have to open! [emoji1787]).

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4638457
    Just found this, looks pretty cool, and might be able to scale it to look like you want.

That one is kinda like the one by RC4WD:

https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-110-AR...nt_p_7404.html

but he wants a hardshell. I have not seen one yet.

Good luck Steeve!

RC Qualifier
    I think he is just looking for the profile of a hard shell rooftop unit as he said it doesn't have to open and has suggested some carry out container lids..when his is closed it has a tapered contour like the one the 3D print was modeled after...In my mind I can't see him breaking out a scale size Ken & Barbie to have one that has to open

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I am confident he will make something work out [emoji106]

Yup...l the one you posted earlier is the bast one I've seen so far. All other hard shell rooftop boxes I've seen are the smaller Star Trek Photo Torpedo looking ones by Yakima/Thule!

RC Qualifier
    In my mind I can't see him breaking out a scale size Ken & Barbie to have one that has to open
    [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Still laughing at that one! Definitely not my thing! [emoji16]

Thanks for all the links guys. Looks like thereís a few options. I really like that 3D printed one if I can get one shipped to the UK for sensible money.

Yep, Iím just after the tapered hardshell shape, but minimal weight up top (hence me looking at good containers!). Definitely a few options to think about - I was even looking at joining two glasses cases together!!

Just masking up my clear Defender body this evening, almost ready for paint now. Itís soooo much easier just going for a single colour and no annoying Martini stripes to mask up...

RC Qualifier
    If you have to have one let me know..
    I've shipped motorcycles from the U.S. to Germany...I'm sure we can get a 3oz piece of PETG to the U.K.
    All you need is a 'Maggiolina' decal and you'll be set! Lol

There are several items I was in need of in Canada but merchants only shipped to Canada. I don't have a Canadian contact [emoji4]

RC Racer
    Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada-The Wet Coast!
    But we love your Martini stripes!
    Slash 2WD Vision Edition
    200+ posts, here I come!

RC Qualifier
    I did make it to the border to capture this pic! Lol

Covid restrictions limited further travel

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionSlash42 View Post

+1 here...

RC Qualifier

Project Retro

If you have to have one let me know..
    I've shipped motorcycles from the U.S. to Germany...I'm sure we can get a 3oz piece of PETG to the U.K.
    All you need is a 'Maggiolina' decal and you'll be set! Lol

There are several items I was in need of in Canada but merchants only shipped to Canada. I don't have a Canadian contact [emoji4]

Thanks, thatís very kind of you. Much appreciated! Iíll see if I can find something closer to home first, but may end up running out of ideas... [emoji16]

Great pic by the way. [emoji106]

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionSlash42 View Post
    Haha, I must admit it felt weird not masking up all these stripes for a change! [emoji1787]

RC Qualifier

RC Qualifier

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] Perfect!! [emoji106]

RC Qualifier
    Martini, cartini, bikini...this Fiesta ST is still the BOMB [emoji44]

RC Qualifier
    Bikini?! Now thereís an idea... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Glad you like the Fiesta - I must build my Slash 4x4 back into that config soon. Was loads of fun on gravel... [emoji16]

RC Qualifier
    Well the big box arrived today!

Not had much time with it yet, but hereís the first parts swap. Wheels & tyres & wider hexes.

Already a big step towards what Iím aiming to achieve...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast