Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Retro

RC Racer
    Nice !

Didn't received the soft springs yet ?

Looks good already with just the addition of your tires/wheels...
    can't wait to see you add all the details to make it yours!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    There's something really nice in a brand new, out of the box TRX-4 picture. And then it gets outside...

We should start a ''Before the 1st run - After a few...'' picture thread for the fun of it

RC Qualifier
    Thanks all. Yes, know what you mean - thereís something great about a brand new Traxxas! Oh so shiny and that new plastic / rubber smell! [emoji1787][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Had a bit of time this evening to start on the mods. Lighter shock oil definitely was a good step. The springs I thought were perfect until I added a big 5000mAh 3S LiPo and the body! [emoji1787]

Initial plan was for the blue circled ones. I ended up going with the green setup in the end. Still significantly more supple than stock and a slightly more scale ride height too. Good progress!

I also dropped down to a 9t pinion as Iím wanting lots of low speed controllability.

Next up were some far slimmer bumpers:

...and some chequer plate on the rock sliders to match my truck.

I also fitted some underbody protection (front and middle):

Then it was on to a set of mudflaps. This may be the most short-lived mod ever - I bought them because my Defender has them, but think theyíll get bent and ripped off very quickly! They look good for now, but will go in the bin if they get in the way too much.

Final mod for this evening was to cut off the mounts for the Hi Lift jack and fuel cans, leaving just the spare wheel bracket remaining.

Hopefully Iíll back on to the bodyshell tomorrow if more paint arrives...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Just a few daylight pics (awful artificial light in the last pics!).

Gives a better idea of the ride height difference. Liking the bumpers, mudflaps etc. Canít wait to get the clear body finished...

Oh and I still need to fill and paint a fifth wheel, hence the mismatched spare!

Much better!
    Keep it up!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

It's looking good so far. I like the stock Traxxas wheels, but yours look terrific!

I lost a front mud-flap early on, one of those held by metal brackets. But, I replaced it with those with a plastic bracket (Injora?) that also, on the rear, gives a closing panel. They are better positioned, as yours I think, and work much better. Every self respecting Defender has mud-flaps!

Incidentally, I read in Classic & Sports Car magazine that you need to be careful with your 1;1 Defenders - apparently a few are being stolen over there at the moment and some police forces planning on stopping lost to ensure they are with their owners!
    Stephen
    An Englishman in France
    Vallee du Loir.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Squeegie! [emoji4]

Sarthetrx4 - thank you, thatís useful information about the mudflaps. Didnít realise there were two types. May have to try those plastic bracket versions - the metal ones I have are very authentic - flimsy and the paint finish poor on the brackets, just like the real thing! [emoji1787]

Yes theyíre sadly stolen far too often - often stripped and sold as parts. I have many layers of security on mine including a tracker. Even had to do a few mods to stop the doors being unscrewed from the outside and stolen!! Sad times...

RC Qualifier
    I'm not even a big fan of plain steelie wheels but those are going to look great with the Keswick.. [emoji106]

#Madskills

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    BTW..that factory silver looks pretty slick also

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by radio uncontrol View Post
    BTW..that factory silver looks pretty slick also

Thanks, yeah I am pondering what to do with the silver body. Iím tempted to make a low CG Defender shell for more extreme crawling - taking it to the extreme maybe even a full open top and screen folded down, with an interior moulding, although that would probably need a Barbie and Ken purchase for the empty seats, which is not going to happen! [emoji1787][emoji23]

Ultimate low CG crawler body?!!

RC Qualifier
    [emoji23] Haha

All I can say is when you finish this one take a break...you deserve it. LOL

RC Qualifier
    [emoji23] Haha, Iím just trying to keep up with you when it comes to the numbers of projects on the go!... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Youíre right, getting agreement to buy two TRX-4s in the past month means I need to get on with the house project as a priority or Iíll be in deep trouble! [emoji23]

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sarthetrx4 View Post
    Every self respecting Defender has mud-flaps![emoji38]

A Land Rover with mud flaps: Defender
    A Land Rover W/O mud flaps: Offender

[emoji23]

Quote Originally Posted by Steeeve View Post
    Thanks, yeah I am pondering what to do with the silver body. ........

You could always donate it to "the poor" - we'd love it!

By the way, these were the flaps we bought for the second Defender. No Logos though, but the wife doesn't mind that at all. I then had to buy a second pair to replace the lost front item on mine!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3285...archweb201603_
    Stephen
    An Englishman in France
    Vallee du Loir.

A Land Rover with mud flaps: Defender
    A Land Rover W/O mud flaps: Offender

[emoji23]

Terrific!
    Stephen
    An Englishman in France
    Vallee du Loir.

RC Racer
    You could always donate it to "the poor" - we'd love it!

By the way, these were the flaps we bought for the second Defender. No Logos though, but the wife doesn't mind that at all. I then had to buy a second pair to replace the lost front item on mine!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3285...archweb201603_
    2 TRX Defenders would not really qualify you guys as 'poor' - But if your 1:/1 daily car look like something like the pic below, then definitely - you will interfere make sure Steeeve will put you on the very top of the donation list

Quote Originally Posted by Bach View Post
    2 TRX Defenders would not really qualify you guys as 'poor' - But if your 1:/1 daily car look like something like the pic below, then definitely - you will interfere make sure Steeeve will put you on the very top of the donation list

Ha! That little car looks as though it could been something Steeve's little lad would have had about 3 years ago, before he graduated to Traxxas!

We are very happy with how our Defenders look now, but don't they look fab when they are all new and shiny!
    Stephen
    An Englishman in France
    Vallee du Loir.

RC Qualifier
    Ha! That little car looks as though it could been something Steeve's little lad would have had about 3 years ago, before he graduated to Traxxas!

We are very happy with how our Defenders look now, but don't they look fab when they are all new and shiny!
    Haha he would still love one of those Iím sure! Iím actually building him a 1:2 scale electric Land Rover at the moment! Heís very happy that his Rustler fits in the back of it for all his planned adventures! [emoji23]

RC Qualifier
    Just a couple of Ďin progressí shots. Still waiting for more paint to arrive before I can make much more progress. Looking forward to removing the overspray film (my favourite step!!) and adding all the bits and pieces!

The pictures donít really do the colour justice, especially with the film on and being a very thin coat at the moment...

RC Qualifier
    Already starting to look like the 1:1 [emoji106]

So the flat base you mentioned all worked out?

RC Qualifier
    Already starting to look like the 1:1 [emoji106]

So the flat base you mentioned all worked out?

It did! Not sure how well it would hold up on a basher but using Tamiya PS-55 Flat Clear seems to have given a good base for genuine Land Rover aerosol paint. Seems very resilient to flaking and scratching but I guess time will tell...

Saw this tip from Hemistorm on YouTube but that was in the context of using Tamiya TS paints on lexan. Letís hope it holds up after a few crashes!

RC Qualifier
    Sweet!

Always a fine line between being a guinea pig and being an innovator..LOL [emoji23]

My money is on it will be fine. [emoji106]

RC Qualifier
    [emoji23] yes letís hope it works, I canít justify buying another bodyshell just now!

RC Qualifier
    Just remembered how many parts and pieces you have to transfer over to the new body.[emoji44]

Here's another rooftop tent unit option, not sure if the measurements will work for you

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-1-10-sca....m46890.l49286

RC Qualifier
    Just remembered how many parts and pieces you have to transfer over to the new body.[emoji44]
    Very true - thatís exactly what Iíve just been doing! Took absolutely ages to remove all the plastic parts from the silver shell...

Thanks for the roof tent link - Iíll measure up, it may just work. [emoji106]

Been painting the light lenses with Tamiya clear red and orange. Looks a bit more Land Rover and a little less Lexus now!

Fingers crossed that my bodyshell paint arrives tomorrow so I can move things forward a bit...

RC Qualifier
    Finally a bit of progress... still waiting on some paint to finish off door hinges and headlight surrounds, but itís getting there.

Not a faithful replica of my 1:1, but a useable crawler that looks pretty similar!

RC Qualifier
    Sweet! That paint came out awesome..looks like it has 3 coats of wax on it. [emoji4]

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, yes I donít think it will stay looking that shiny for long! The 1:1 version definitely has a few more scratches from playing in the mud! [emoji1787]

RC Qualifier
    A few more pics while the sun is out...

Looking forward to getting this finished...

RC Racer
    Nice Job Steeeve,

This guy painted the outer fenders which turn out not that bad ... in case you are looking to paint yours

Also, for the rear lights, painting the 'base plate' in chrome or silver would give more punch on those lights - especialy on the amber and red ones.

RC Qualifier
    Do you have any plans for the fenders flares?

TRC sells a set of the rounded ones like your 1:1, if you are interested. They are hard plastic, but much more scale looking, because the screws go from inside out.

https://www.asiatees.com/display.php...=All&id=159436

Not sure if they will fit exactly on a lexan body, but I have the same ones and I can measure them if you want.

RC Qualifier
    Nice Job Steeeve,

This guy painted the outer fenders which turn out not that bad ... in case you are looking to paint yours

Also, for the rear lights, painting the 'base plate' in chrome or silver would give more punch on those lights - especialy on the amber and red ones.
    Thanks Bach - yes I saw that video, Iím going to leave mine unpainted as Iím not too sure how durable painted ones would be (although they do look good!).

Thatís a good suggestion about the lights - I have some bare metal foil (chrome) which I could add to the base plate. Thank you! [emoji106]

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
    Do you have any plans for the fenders flares?

TRC sells a set of the rounded ones like your 1:1, if you are interested. They are hard plastic, but much more scale looking, because the screws go from inside out.

https://www.asiatees.com/display.php...=All&id=159436

Not sure if they will fit exactly on a lexan body, but I have the same ones and I can measure them if you want.
    Thanks xagoras.

Yeah Iíd love to go with some more scale looking flares but Iím pretty sure those ones need a smaller cut-out on the body. It would be ideal if Traxxas didnít pre-trim the shell then those would have gone straight on!

If youíre able to compare the two types that would be great, but I donít want to put you to any trouble... cheers.

Blimey! That's looking good!!

How will the paint stand up around the bonnet body mounts? Not tempted by magnetic versions?

Do you make your own number plates, or do you get them done somewhere?

Terrific job!
    Stephen
    An Englishman in France
    Vallee du Loir.

RC Qualifier
    If you buy another rig before the son's birthday this slogan will go from this...
    to this.. [emoji23][emoji23]

RC Qualifier
    Haha thatís brilliant! Yes Iím definitely not going to push things any further!!

RC Qualifier
    Blimey! That's looking good!!

How will the paint stand up around the bonnet body mounts? Not tempted by magnetic versions?

Do you make your own number plates, or do you get them done somewhere?

Terrific job!
    Thank you! Hoping the paint lasts ok - I always stick adhesive foam pads on the inside, fingers crossed it holds up ok...

Prefer to stick with clips for when I inevitably send it rolling off a cliff!! [emoji1787]

The plates were just bought off eBay - pretty cheap and well made, I just gave them a coat of clear lacquer to protect them a bit more..

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeeve View Post
    Haha that’s brilliant! Yes I’m definitely not going to push things any further!!

CHICKEN !

RC Qualifier
    CHICKEN !

Ha, or the alternative I guess is:

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast