RC poster

Looking for Recommendation For 10 Year old daughter.

There isn't a recommendation forum so I wasn't sure where to post this but the Slash forum looks like it gets a lot of views so starting here. Looking for recommendation on truck for my 10 year old daughter's birthday. Was thinking Slash or Rustler, definitely brushless. Right now she is driving a 3S Typhon I have and her brother drives a Maxx, so I don't want her to be massively off the pace. She likes the handling on the Typhon but it doesn't appear there is a comparable level of Bandit. Biggest issue with the Typhon is the drivetrain is made of graham crackers and breaks constantly, which wouldn't be a huge deal but Arrma parts can be hard to get these days depending, and it means the buggy is down for weeks at a time sometimes. Traxxas parts at least for the Maxx have always been really easy for me to get so I'm leaning Traxxas because the most important things are reliability and fixability with parts access. She doesn't care about outright pace or racing or anything just holding up well. Considering a Slash 2WD to save some money but then also have concerns I'll regret that decision later not getting the 4WD. What do you guys think? Thanks

RC Qualifier

Looking for Recommendation For 10 Year old daughter.

I bought a Rustler 4x4 VXL for my son (aged 4.5 at the time). On 3S itís plenty quick enough and the small body limits the damage when he accidentally lets the tyres balloon or he sends it rolling! [emoji1787] Not broken anything so far, but I did fit aluminium shock caps and a few cooling fans from day 1 just to be sure... Oh and I reinforced the body with drywall tape and shoe goo... [emoji106][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Steeeve; 04-05-2021 at 12:59 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Maybe get a Typhon 3s, and replace the driveshafts with aluminium ones? Or get the 6s

I think the rustler hanles the best of all 3s TRX's. It comes with a LCG chassis stock
    Last edited by The Bean; 04-05-2021 at 01:57 PM.

RC Qualifier
    You can pretty much go with any traxxas and they would be fine for a 10yo that has prior experience. The bluetooth module can be used to down-tune the motors to a power level that meets the driver.

I would recommend something in the 1/10th scale range as they are easier to work on than smaller 1/16th vehicles and the parts are more plentiful. I would also stick with a 4x4 for better control and overall performance.

Both Rustler 4x4 and Slash 4x4s share many parts and are similar in a bunch of ways including LCG chassis (on some Slashes), so either are good. The big ole body of the Slash does protect the components a bit better than the Rustler's. The rustler though has self righting and a clip-less body (like the maxx). You might also look at the Hoss depending on your budget.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean View Post
    Maybe get a Typhon 3s, and replace the driveshafts with aluminium ones? Or get the 6s

I think the rustler hanles the best of all 3s TRX's. It comes with a LCG chassis stock
    Thanks, I have a 6S Kraton. it's a weeeeee bit much for my 10 y/o though lol!!!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by halygon View Post
    You can pretty much go with any traxxas and they would be fine for a 10yo that has prior experience. The bluetooth module can be used to down-tune the motors to a power level that meets the driver.

I would recommend something in the 1/10th scale range as they are easier to work on than smaller 1/16th vehicles and the parts are more plentiful. I would also stick with a 4x4 for better control and overall performance.

Both Rustler 4x4 and Slash 4x4s share many parts and are similar in a bunch of ways including LCG chassis (on some Slashes), so either are good. The big ole body of the Slash does protect the components a bit better than the Rustler's. The rustler though has self righting and a clip-less body (like the maxx). You might also look at the Hoss depending on your budget.
    Thanks for the info. I do like the clip less body and self righting so that is definitely in favor of Rustler and I had not considered. Does the Rustler hold up well? My Maxx is almost indestructible and I know it isn't that beefy but I'm hoping it's fairly tough.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiRC View Post
    Thanks for the info. I do like the clip less body and self righting so that is definitely in favor of Rustler and I had not considered. Does the Rustler hold up well? My Maxx is almost indestructible and I know it isn't that beefy but I'm hoping it's fairly tough.
    The Rustler holds up pretty good, I've been really hard on mine and it's broken just a couple times, a control arm and an axle. I would avoid using the self righting, it's REALLY hard on the drivetrain. The other thing as mentioned is fans for the ESC and motor. On 3s the motor gets hot, gearing down is beneficial as well. I recently put a bigger motor in and bigger tires as well.

Rustler 4x4 VXL, 540XL
    Rustler 4x4
    If it ain't broke, you're not trying!

There isn't a recommendation forum so I wasn't sure where to post this but the Slash forum looks like it gets a lot of views so starting here. Looking for recommendation on truck for my 10 year old daughter's birthday. Was thinking Slash or Rustler, definitely brushless. Right now she is driving a 3S Typhon I have and her brother drives a Maxx, so I don't want her to be massively off the pace. She likes the handling on the Typhon but it doesn't appear there is a comparable level of Bandit. Biggest issue with the Typhon is the drivetrain is made of graham crackers and breaks constantly, which wouldn't be a huge deal but Arrma parts can be hard to get these days depending, and it means the buggy is down for weeks at a time sometimes. Traxxas parts at least for the Maxx have always been really easy for me to get so I'm leaning Traxxas because the most important things are reliability and fixability with parts access. She doesn't care about outright pace or racing or anything just holding up well. Considering a Slash 2WD to save some money but then also have concerns I'll regret that decision later not getting the 4WD. What do you guys think? Thanks
    Jumping from a 4x4 to a 2wd may not be an easy change, since it only has one axle driving (and braking) the car. If she mainly drives onroad, she probably wouldn't notice too much other than it being more tail-happy, some additional wheelspin, and rear-wheel-braking, but if she mainly drives offroad, there could be a noticeable difference. It would have a harder time getting up to speed and would get stuck easier than a 4x4. On the other hand, a 2wd is much more maneuverable, which is why I prefer driving my 2wd Slash over my 4x4 Slash. Since it has only rear-wheel-braking, the car is able to swing its head around quicker while turning and braking at the same time. 2wd vehicles generally go faster and have longer run times with the same battery due to less rotational mass. It really depends on the handling characteristics she is looking for.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

My daughter got her Traxxas Slash 4x4 when she was five! It is still operational so I would recommend it to you
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    Canít go wrong with slash 4x4 youíll be able to find parts right from traxxas or aftermarket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I own a bandit, and a slash 2wd and 4wd. I would highly reccomend going 4wd if it's reasonable with your budget. The 2wd is a ball, but it doesn't do anywhere close to as well as the 4wd offroad, and the 4wd can handle 3s or more power much better with less breakage. On a mostly stock 2wd 3s is pushing the drivetrain pretty hard imo, where 4s or even 6s is reasonable in a slightly upgraded slash 4wd. All things to consider. Also figured I'd mention that parts are extremely available for both the 2wd and 4wd, I've never been unable to find a stock or upgraded part for any of them, and I've broken basically everything on those trucks. They both just hit their 10th birthday this year.
    Last edited by TimJones123; 04-06-2021 at 10:10 AM.

RC Racer
    Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada-The Wet Coast!
    I have a Slash 2WD. The only things I've broken so far are the front bumper and stub carriers (both replaced with RPM). I love it! A lot better than the Latrax SST I had before! I am saving up for a 4x4 VXL, so there's that.
    Slash 2WD Vision Edition
    200+ posts, here I come!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionSlash42 View Post
    I have a Slash 2WD. The only things I've broken so far are the front bumper and stub carriers (both replaced with RPM). I love it! A lot better than the Latrax SST I had before! I am saving up for a 4x4 VXL, so there's that.
    Vxl or brushed? Part of my problem is that the truck is over 10 years old so the plastics arent in good shape at all lol.