RC Champion

New Maxx, run stock esc and servo or?

New Maxx, run stock esc and servo or? Based on my experience with the stock electronics...should I pull them both, sell new and replace with or just run them?

RC Competitor
    The motor is good , I would pull the stock esc and servo while they are still running and sell them. I'm very happy with my hobbywing max 8.

RC Qualifier
    Are you in the states? Don't you guys get great direct warranty service from Traxxas if stuff fails?
    I'd run it as is, if anything fails, uprate it while you wait for the replacement from Traxxas. Don't presume it's going to break, just drive it & enjoy it!

RC Champion
    Got Max8 on the way, thanks! Motor in my XMAxx has been good, so yes I'll run stock motor here too.

Guy at LHS said the Xmaxx servo wouldn't fit, looked like it would to me but the aluminum case cooling fins on the sides might smash the wiring at rx box? Didn't want to buy electronics and doesnt' fit and they say no returns on electronics lol.

Yes, in USA and yes they warranty but that takes a week or two and I have to box it up, drive to post office, mail it and wait. I've seen enough smoke Traxxas electronics especially ESCs, kinda leary lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
    Guy at LHS said the Xmaxx servo wouldn't fit, looked like it would to me but the aluminum case cooling fins on the sides might smash the wiring at rx box? Didn't want to buy electronics and doesnt' fit and they say no returns on electronics lol.
    Not sure why the hobby shop would tell you the Xmaxx servo doesn't fit?
    Traxxas offers a Xmaxx servo as an upgrade for the Maxx. I've installed a stock Xmaxx servo in mine and it fits fine, same as stock.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca 3 View Post
    Are you in the states? Don't you guys get great direct warranty service from Traxxas if stuff fails?
    I'd run it as is, if anything fails, uprate it while you wait for the replacement from Traxxas. Don't presume it's going to break, just drive it & enjoy it!
    Yes , but you never know how long it's gonna take.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Not sure why the hobby shop would tell you the Xmaxx servo doesn't fit?
    Traxxas offers a Xmaxx servo as an upgrade for the Maxx. I've installed a stock Xmaxx servo in mine and it fits fine, same as stock.
    Dunno, thought I read that it fit lol.. Well you know how that goes when you take their advice it's usually a crap shoot ime, except for a very specific few shop employees, even then everybody makes a mistake sometimes.

Got any pictures of the fitment, any special wire routing, did the added weight up front affect jumping, handling or heat?

I see quite a few still running the stock servo, but question it's ability to withstand heavy bashing.

I haven't run it yet. Still putting it together (building from scratch). I don't think there's a noticeable difference in weight beyond minimal between the three large case servos (Maxx stock, Xmaxx stock, Or the 2085X). I'd be more worried about the tires and batteries for weight placement.

Here is the Traxxas 2085 (stock Xmaxx) servo. No special wire routing at all. The arrow shows where the wire comes out of the servo.

RC Champion
    Perfect, thanks! Did you do anything to servo saver spring or linkage?

Not yet. But just testing it on the bench and just moving the truck around in general while putting it together, I feel the servo saver needs to be tightened up. Heck just testing the servo (steering) with the truck in the air I can see the saver moving. Shouldn't be that weak with no weight on it.

Either going to see if I can mod the stock setup (add a washer) or go with an aftermarket aluminum saver.

RC Champion
    Will the XMaxx saver spring fit?

RC Competitor
    Pretty sure the spring won't fit.

RC Competitor
    No. Compared to the maxx, the x-maxx spring looks comically large.

RC Champion
    just keep the motor everything else can hit the road

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jea View Post
    No. Compared to the maxx, the x-maxx spring looks comically large.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD@_FL View Post
    Pretty sure the spring won't fit.
    It won't fit, put my two trucks side by side last night lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Role View Post
    just keep the motor everything else can hit the road
    That's what I'm doing, thanks!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Any parts etc needed or does the 2085X just bolt right in to the Maxx?

Any parts etc needed or does the 2085X just bolt right in to the Maxx?
    Bolts right in, with no fuss. The servos are the same size and fit the same.