Batteries taking a long time to charge

When I first got my Traxxas 3s 5000 mah batteries (3 short packs and 1 long pack) they charged up in about 30 minutes and I was good to go, but now theyíre taking a long time to charge. It could take an hour to over and hour to charge them fully. Are my batteries going bad and is it time to replace them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What does this do- Oh whoops I broke it

They come half charged. When did you get them?
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Bandit XL-5 Just Gonna Send It!!

How long have you had them? What charger are you using?

Usually when my packs start taking longer and longer to charge, they are on the verge of failing and I notice a run time drop as well as performance decrease. By the time I lose 25-30% of my runtime, I stop using them because it's just a waste of effort considering my 6S trucks only get 15-18 minutes on a pair of 5000mah 3S packs. When that drops to 11-14 minutes, I stop using them and dispose of them.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

Batteries taking a long time to charge

Well I bought my 20C and 25C batteries used off of some guy on Facebook marketplace because it was a good deal and Iíve had them since September.

I bought my 50C long pack brand new back in December, I believe. I also use the Traxxas ez peak dual charger and single charger, not the live ones.

My dual charger fan is also making a weird noise though, but I think itís just the fan.

Last edited by TwinTurboV8; 04-08-2021 at 06:52 AM.

Buying used batteries isn’t the best thing to do...
    It might be a charger issue. My guess from the fan is just dust in the fans. (Perfectly normal) If you have an Xbox and it has a huge vent on the top, dust will get in there and make it louder on startups. You should be fine with the charger though.
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Bandit XL-5 Just Gonna Send It!!

Quote Originally Posted by ThatTraxxas View Post
    Buying used batteries isnít the best thing to do...
    It might be a charger issue. My guess from the fan is just dust in the fans. (Perfectly normal) If you have an Xbox and it has a huge vent on the top, dust will get in there and make it louder on startups. You should be fine with the charger though.
    Theyíve worked perfectly fine and arenít swelled. They only puff up a bit after running them, then once they cool down theyíre fine.

Well, the ez-peak dual is only a 2x4A/2x100W charger. So it should pretty much always take a little over an hour to charge a 5000mah pack from LVC. Unless you switch to high output mode and only use one port, then it will charge at 8A.

Charging a 5000mah 3S pack at 1C (1 hour charge rate) requires 5amps/55.5 watts.

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Well, the ez-peak dual is only a 2x4A/2x100W charger. So it should pretty much always take a little over an hour to charge a 5000mah pack from LVC. Unless you switch to high output mode and only use one port, then it will charge at 8A.

Charging a 5000mah 3S pack at 1C (1 hour charge rate) requires 5amps/55.5 watts.
    What bugs me is they used to charge in about 30 minutes, even without using the high output mode. Now itís way up in time.

RC Qualifier
    Every battery I charge at 1c from dead always takes an hour or so. From storage charge its probably about 30 min. Is it taking an hour from storage charge or once you've run it down and hit lvc? And was it taking 30 minutes before from storage charge or after a run?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    Every battery I charge at 1c from dead always takes an hour or so. From storage charge its probably about 30 min. Is it taking an hour from storage charge or once you've run it down and hit lvc? And was it taking 30 minutes before from storage charge or after a run?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Now, itís taking an hour or more to charge from either LVC or Storage charge.

It used to only take 30 minutes to charge from LVC. Not sure about storage since I never really stored my batteries much. I was using my ERevo non stop at the time that I got it.

Did you regear your truck or change tires, motor, esc or anything since the last time they charged "normal"?

Did you regear your truck or change tires, motor, esc or anything since the last time they charged "normal"?
    The batteries have been doing this ever since I got it back from the hobby shop in January, so since then the only changes I had done to my truck was finally swapping out the 3.8 belted trenchers for the stock tires in the back and cheap Amazon ones up front and I had it geared up at 20/46 for a while since I was only using it on the road since there was snow everywhere. Now itís been back on lighter tires and 15/54 gearing.

Also my ESC was replaced by Traxxas back in January as well.

Well, it could be that the LVC is lower in the new esc.

Also could be that your LVC isn't kicking in so quick because the packs aren't as stressed, so they are allowed to run lower. When packs are stressed via gearing or temps (cold ambient), the voltage will sag more prominently which will trigger the LVC. Then by the time you put them on the charger, they recovered some and you weren't needing to put as much back in.

But now with the lesser load on the pack, they are actually running lower without tripping the LVC prematurely, which then requires more charge to fill them back up.

Just guessing.

Well, it could be that the LVC is lower in the new esc.

Also could be that your LVC isn't kicking in so quick because the packs aren't as stressed, so they are allowed to run lower. When packs are stressed via gearing or temps (cold ambient), the voltage will sag more prominently which will trigger the LVC. Then by the time you put them on the charger, they recovered some and you weren't needing to put as much back in.

But now with the lesser load on the pack, they are actually running lower without tripping the LVC prematurely, which then requires more charge to fill them back up.

Just guessing.
    I definitely see where youíre going with that.

I have noticed longer run times ever since I swapped the ESC and whenever LVC Stage 1 engages, itíll only last a few seconds until LVC Stage 2 stops the car. Probably shouldíve mentioned this earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinTurboV8 View Post
    ...since I was only using it on the road since there was snow everywhere. Now itís been back on lighter tires and 15/54 gearing.
    I know when I run my truck in the cold and snow by runtime is shortened. Running WOT or a much higher throttle because of wheel spin, it is putting more stress on the batteries and creating more of a voltage sag. I could even see how much of the batteries Mah I was not able to use. (My charger displays Mah put in during a charge)

Bonus side affect: after they warmed up and I plugged them into my charger the battery voltage was near storage voltage volts. Didn't need to do battery maintenance of putting batteries into storage mode. Now in the summer where it's warmer and the tires have grip (so not much WOT) my runtime is much longer. And my batteries can last down (drain) to LVC voltages when checked.