RC poster

single 3S on stock electronics?

Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to this, so excuse me if this is a dumb question, but regardless of the (un)fun factor ,
    would running a single 3s when I need to, be safe for the stock electronics? I ask because, and I'm still trying to understand this, I read that the lower the voltage, the higher the amp draw. But I've also read that a lower S pack would make the system run cooler. I'm not sure which to believe.

I recently saw a video where someone was running a single 3s pack on their stock UDR, and just wanted to know. If it's 100% find with respect to longevity, having varying options depending on what packs I had lying around at the time would be great. Any insight into this would be appreciated. Thanks, guys!

It's likely fine if you gear it properly. People run into problems when they run one cell count, but want faster speeds and over gear things. Then it pulls too many amps and overheats the pack, esc and motor.

With my 3S and 6S trucks, I was fine for a long time running 2S/4S respectively. It was when I found larger area's to run that I wanted more speed, so I had to go up on my cell count to keep esc temps down.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

Only thing I would be concerned with in using the stock Traxxas VXL-6s ESC would be LVC (low voltage protection). Not sure if it would recognize a single 3s battery. It probably would go into low voltage protection. At the very least, you would need to run an external low voltage alarm.

Gearing is the key to keeping heat in check.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornd0g View Post
    I recently saw a video where someone was running a single 3s pack on their stock UDR, and just wanted to know.
    Looking at the specs, it says 4S/6S. Do you know if in that video they had the stock vxl-6s esc?

I also see this in the manual for it:

If the component is found to be defective, it will be repaired or replaced at no charge. The warranty does not cover damage caused by the following:
    - Using other than 12-16 NiMH cells or 4s/6s LiPo cells (max. 22.2 volts) input voltage

VXL-6S Manual

So, it would appear running 3S is not a great idea to try. Sorry about my earlier suggestion. The 6S esc's I run are fine with 3,4,6 cells.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC poster
    Awesome. Thanks for your guys' insight on this. I had a feeling it couldn't be too good for the stock ESC, but just needed to make sure. I'll stick with the rated 4S on the low side. Thanks again!