RC poster

Rustler 4x4 vxl esc and motor upgrade

Hello first time poster. I have a few cars 2wd rustler castle mamba x esc and 3700kv motor. Decently fast but want faster couple weeks ago I snagged a vxl 4x4 rustler. Today I won a erevo and my thought is to swap vxl-6s esc and 2200kv motor to 4wd rustler and upgrade esc and motor in erevo. If I ran 6s in the rustler what kind of speeds would I see for top speed runs also haven't found anyone specifically doing this with traxxas electronics. Tia

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach5187 View Post
    Hello first time poster. I have a few cars 2wd rustler castle mamba x esc and 3700kv motor. Decently fast but want faster couple weeks ago I snagged a vxl 4x4 rustler. Today I won a erevo and my thought is to swap vxl-6s esc and 2200kv motor to 4wd rustler and upgrade esc and motor in erevo. If I ran 6s in the rustler what kind of speeds would I see for top speed runs also haven't found anyone specifically doing this with traxxas electronics. Tia
    Traxxas' main downfall IS there electronics, imo. But honestly i haven't NEARLY tried them all! I feel like they "throttle-down" their power systems, to make more user-"friendly", but in all my reading and personal VXL 3s (stock R4sty power sys) is they run HOT As heck!! (There's definitely a stronger word). Lol!

This in turn, causes many MANY ove-heated, turned-in/warrantied/power-up-program-ed and thus more revenue, etc, etc. More "repeat business" even if its intentional mfg "fluke".

Call me a conspiracy theorist! All of the theories which became realities, can no longer be called "theory", (in theory?) Bahahahaha

I digress!

My R4stler vxl noe runs HW ez-run Max8 esc with 4274-can, 2200kv motor, with i believe (currently), i run 17t maybe 19t pinion and 34-36t spur, (mod 1 for 1/8th scale torque handling-toughness) and live in NC where summer temps are average 92-99F, mixed with no less than 40 or 45% humidity, up to 100 percent humidity all summer (and most spring!) And usually running 75-90% asphalt, talon ext's, sledgehammers, PL street fighter, PL Badlands MX28 belted tires, or 2.2/3.0 SC wheel/tires. Motor never breaks 160F, ONCE it did, but i was TRYING to bash and giver'h-e-doublehockeysticks! I hit 164F...esc thermal protection for motor kicks on @250 or some crazy number! Lol i stick to 160 max. And tbh, i am NOT a fan of 6s power for R4sty....wayyyy too much, and because of the way i drive, i spend the whole pack on my roof lol

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    6s in a Rustler..... 80mph/90mph. Just a guess. Broken parts.?? Yup.

You would likely need to upgrade your diffs to have the i-bar in them with the diff cup with metal inserts for the x-pin as well as your slider axles and probably the center shaft.

I run 4S in my slampede (blx185-150A esc/4074 2050kv motor) and upgraded all of those things, but I upgraded most of that just to be able to run 2S and later 3S in it with how/where I drive and the tires I use.

Even on 4S... the thing is a handful to drive with 3.8 LP MT tires on it. The rustler would be a bit lower CG, but I'd start with 4S and go from there, unless your after straight line speeds only.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss