RC Racer

Drive cups horribly worn

So my drive cups on my ERevo 2.0 are so warped and bent itís not even funny. Theyíre so worn that I keep popping shafts over the littlest things. Anybody else have this problem, and if so, are there any better drive cups I can get that donít wear out so easily?

The front ones arenít that bad, but still pretty worn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What does this do- Oh whoops I broke it

RC Champion
    Known issue since the E Revo 2.0 was birthed. The only thing to do is during maintenance rotate them so they get even wear on both sides and then buy new ones to replace. They are cheap and an easy replacement.

RC Competitor
    I like to buzz that burr down with a dremel while I’m doing the rotation as well. Not sure if it’s necessary but it just looks cleaner that way. Will be on the lookout for improved cups as well if anybody knows of some. Same thing happens on my EXB but gotta take the whole diff apart to swap the cups, so the revo situation is actually a nice break for me. It’s not just an E-revo thing; it’s a cup and bone thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ricky.blobby View Post
    so the revo situation is actually a nice break for me. It’s not just an E-revo thing; it’s a cup and bone thing.
    Yep, I wish more did it that way. Makes replacing diff bearings and shimming a lot easier too.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RICK DIZZLE View Post
    Known issue since the E Revo 2.0 was birthed. The only thing to do is during maintenance rotate them so they get even wear on both sides and then buy new ones to replace. They are cheap and an easy replacement.
    Thatís a good idea, Iím gonna do that

Now those pinions the cups fit on, they are 5mm I.D. correct? Had the same issue with my TMAXX, for $6.00 each the Unlimited Engineering Drive cups should work. Thing is they are very strong and their design decreases wear. Shouldn't be a fitment issue. When I did this I put a LOT of time on them and the CVD pin would wear out before they showed much wear.
    Here's the product https://www.unlimitedengineering.com...drive-cup-5mm/
    Here's a pic of what they look like.

All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Now those pinions the cups fit on, they are 5mm I.D. correct? Had the same issue with my TMAXX, for $6.00 each the Unlimited Engineering Drive cups should work. Thing is they are very strong and their design decreases wear. Shouldn't be a fitment issue. When I did this I put a LOT of time on them and the CVD pin would wear out before they showed much wear.

Seems promising, but just by looking at the picture it seems like there isnít much room for suspension travel. I run the long travel rockers on my 2.0 and Iím not sure if these drive cups will hold the dog bone.

I'm not sure of the shaft size. Next time I have a cup off, I'll measure it. Tried checking the exploded view hoping there was a shim or something inside the diff on those shafts, but nope.

That UE cup looks awful short for the revo 2.0 though.

Some of the longest lasting cups I ever had were on my losi aftershock/lst/lst2 in the center... can't recall their size either, but I had many many gallons of nitro through that thing when I sold it and I never changed the center cups in it. Probably helped that they were very well lined up with the diffs and no movement of the dogbone ears forward and back go cause a grinding effect though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post

Unfortunately they won't work. I have some from my Erevo Lst diff mod days. The Traxxas dogbone (driveshaft) on the Erevo 2.0 is much bigger. They won't fit into the drivecups. The UE cups are much smaller.

Here is a picture of the Unlimited Engineering drive cups compared to the Traxxas Erevo 2.0 stock parts. There's no comparison between the original Revo/Erevo (Tmaxx/Emaxx included) size parts and the new (Erevo,Maxx,Xmaxx) size driveline.

I grease my drive cups and it has made a big difference.
    Added bonus: drive cups/dogbone only get slightly warm now compared to super hot when run dry.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Here is a picture of the Unlimited Engineering drive cups compared to the Traxxas Erevo 2.0 stock parts. There's no comparison between the original Revo/Erevo (Tmaxx/Emaxx included) size parts and the new (Erevo,Maxx,Xmaxx) size driveline.

Added bonus: drive cups/dogbone only get slightly warm now compared to super hot when run dry.

What boots are those? I think I saw you post them before, but after looking at mine... I think I want to give boots/grease a try.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post

How those UE cups are tiny. The dog bone would pop out during every jump if I installed those.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinTurboV8 View Post
    How those UE cups are tiny. The dog bone would pop out during every jump if I installed those.
    Don't let the size fool you.

They are a very tough drive cup as Nitronaught pointed out. If UE made some in the Erevo 2.0 size I wouldn't hesitate in getting a set!

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    What boots are those? I think I saw you post them before, but after looking at mine... I think I want to give boots/grease a try.
    Found them I think:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Rev...-/143456071673

Although, $18 for boots... or $18 for new cups...

My rears are the worst, I think I have a couple new cups already, so will try them out on those and see how they do with some red-n-tacky in there.

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I got them from Ebay seller gulftechnologic. I talk about them in this thread: forums.traxxas.Dust-boots

Here you can see I went the extra mile and used heatshrink on the cups to help with sealing.

Even without the boots, dirty grease is going to prevent excess wear from metal to metal contact in the dogbone.

A simple test would be to run your truck and see how hot the cups get. Then add a small amount of grease to them. You will notice a significant reduction in heat. The heat is caused by friction and the less the friction the less the wear.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 04-09-2021 at 03:38 PM. Reason: simple test anyone can try

RC Racer
    Lots of good tips in this thread! Iím definitely going to try these out once I get new drive cups, these worn ones are driving me insane with all the noise they make and how often the dog bones pop out.

Well, the boots did not work well with RPM arms in the front using the lower hinge pin hole. I had to move my upper hinge pins down because the rocker would hit them at full (nearly full) extension and stop the arms from fully extending. They were pinched between the cup and the underside of the arm at full extension. I tried dremeling a bit of the arm away, but apparently not enough. Both front boots are destroyed and grease is all over. Quick way to burn $9.

Both rears are still good though.

Also busted a front axle carrier, so will remove the grease/boot remnants when I get the new carrier in.
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 04-18-2021 at 04:14 PM.