RC poster

New XMAXX Owner and starting my upgrades

So go camping with a friend who has a stampede and I am just hooked. It's for his kid of course but that got me started. So after looking at everything and deciding on the Maxx, off to the store I go, where I was dumb enough to stand it side by side the XMaxx...so long story short, home I come with the XMaxx. Now, as I tell my wife, "Honey, this is for the grandkids, wait until they see what YOU bought them!" LOL.

I have purchased a few upgrades for it as well and some addons from reading the forums this week. I am pretty much overwhelmed but I couldn't wait for the time it was going to take me to read everything out there and THEN do this.

Addons list so far:
    - TQi Bluetooth
    - Telemetry Expander 2
    - GPS

Upgrades:
    Badlands MX43 mounted and on order
    Servo 2085X
    Aluminum Servo Horn

I know that doesn't seem to be the end all be all Servo, but in the short time I've been reading, seems like that Proline 930 will take a bit more effort to install than I am ready to tackle. I need some more YouTube videos I think to feel more comfortable, so while it is probably going to be done soon, just won't be done immediately. Seems like other than the Servo, nothing else is really a weak link on this thing. Rest of it is just a fix as you break it kind of thing. Depends how hard the kids are going to smash into stuff, lol.

Can't wait to get this out, grandkids come today, it's been sitting in the box all night as I want them to open it all up for their excitement, but man, I can't hardly wait myself!

Oh, if I have missed something or someone on here or maybe there is a post which comprises a good to-do list that I just have not seen yet but you long time members know of, please feel free to let me know. Otherwise, going to spend my XMaxx charging time searching and reading. Which isn't much time, that charger is done in 40 minutes! Man, how stuff has changed from the remote controlled cars I had as a kid. When the car went dead, forget about it, 24 hours on the wall. Starting to wonder why I bought a second set of 6700 batteries!!! LOL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by brosborough View Post
    So go camping with a friend who has a stampede and I am just hooked. It's for his kid of course but that got me started. So after looking at everything and deciding on the Maxx, off to the store I go, where I was dumb enough to stand it side by side the XMaxx...so long story short, home I come with the XMaxx. Now, as I tell my wife, "Honey, this is for the grandkids, wait until they see what YOU bought them!" LOL.

I have purchased a few upgrades for it as well and some addons from reading the forums this week. I am pretty much overwhelmed but I couldn't wait for the time it was going to take me to read everything out there and THEN do this.

Addons list so far:
    - TQi Bluetooth
    - Telemetry Expander 2
    - GPS

Upgrades:
    Badlands MX43 mounted and on order
    Servo 2085X
    Aluminum Servo Horn

I know that doesn't seem to be the end all be all Servo, but in the short time I've been reading, seems like that Proline 930 will take a bit more effort to install than I am ready to tackle. I need some more YouTube videos I think to feel more comfortable, so while it is probably going to be done soon, just won't be done immediately. Seems like other than the Servo, nothing else is really a weak link on this thing. Rest of it is just a fix as you break it kind of thing. Depends how hard the kids are going to smash into stuff, lol.

Can't wait to get this out, grandkids come today, it's been sitting in the box all night as I want them to open it all up for their excitement, but man, I can't hardly wait myself!

Oh, if I have missed something or someone on here or maybe there is a post which comprises a good to-do list that I just have not seen yet but you long time members know of, please feel free to let me know. Otherwise, going to spend my XMaxx charging time searching and reading. Which isn't much time, that charger is done in 40 minutes! Man, how stuff has changed from the remote controlled cars I had as a kid. When the car went dead, forget about it, 24 hours on the wall. Starting to wonder why I bought a second set of 6700 batteries!!! LOL
    Hi mate, welcome to the Traxxas Forums, post any pics of your monster when you can and final install the upgrades.

RC poster
    I would leave it stock and only fix what breaks.

Drywall tape and shoe glue the bodyshell.
    Body saver. Roof peice and there is one for the rear aswell.

If u replace the stock servo u could sell it as new if u havnt used it.

Some ppl have issues with the esc and swap it out with a max 6 esc.

Things i would pre emtively buy.

Alluminum hubs.. with the bigger bearings in the rear.
    Rpm arms. There alot more flexible but u may have to add a nut to stop bolt from falling out.

RC Racer
    Don't bother with the aluminium rear hubs and RPM arms - get the Traxxas HD arms (as strong as the RPMs, but without the hinge pin problems) and either RPM rear hubs or Proline rear hubs. (Both plastic, but stronger and with a larger bearing.)

IMO, at least.

I went with the Proline rear hubs because the design of them looked easier to clean than the RPM ones and the bearings come pre-greased, unlike the RPM ones that require you to strip down the bearings and grease them before first use.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thank you guys for the input. Grandson went wild with it. Crashed it right into the trailer of my boat. Lol. Ripped the body cover clean off. Thought for sure that was done but surprisingly enough it went right back on. Not a crack on it. My back yard isn’t huge, 3/4 an acre. Not sure why he decided to hit the boat trailer but oh well.

Going to check out the rest of these recommendations you’ve given and add them to my tackle box. Lol.

Thank you guys for the input. Grandson went wild with it. Crashed it right into the trailer of my boat. Lol. Ripped the body cover clean off. Thought for sure that was done but surprisingly enough it went right back on. Not a crack on it. My back yard isnít huge, 3/4 an acre. Not sure why he decided to hit the boat trailer but oh well.
    "Takes a lick'in and keeps on tick'in"

You and the grandkids are going to have a lot of fun with it! It's one of the most durable trucks that doesn't disappoint.
    Hopefully the grandkids give you some wheel time too, LoL.

RC Competitor
    Now, as I tell my wife, "Honey, this is for the grandkids, wait until they see what YOU bought them!" LOL.
    Exactly my tactic as well!

I am sure the grandkids will really like it too. BTW, with the bluetooth link, you can go into training mode and dial it down to a minimum of 10% of max power. This may be useful for the smaller kids.

RC Qualifier
    Be careful on “upgrades” lots aren’t.

RC Champion
    Make sure to use the link app to use training mode to dial down the power for the kids as they learn to drive the car.

Use traxxas hd a arms I've broken 3 rpm a arms at the pins for the shocks.

Going to a promodler servo not that much more work than putting in the 2085x. And a much better servo.

If get weird steering issues turn tsm off on the tx.

Go rpm or proline rear oversized hubs. Really only needed if drive hard enough to blow the bearing seals.

Fiber tape and shoe goo or e6000 the body. To me the weak link of the car is the body. The lexan breaks to easy over the rear shock towers.

The body does want to pop off the car easy. I've found if I take a heat gun and bend the rear clip over a bit more and make the center a little longer that helps with body pop offs.

Having a spur gear, set of a arms on hand and shock pins and hing pins can be handy not to have down time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    Make sure to use the link app to use training mode to dial down the power for the kids as they learn to drive the car.

Use traxxas hd a arms I've broken 3 rpm a arms at the pins for the shocks.

Going to a promodler servo not that much more work than putting in the 2085x. And a much better servo.

If get weird steering issues turn tsm off on the tx.

Go rpm or proline rear oversized hubs. Really only needed if drive hard enough to blow the bearing seals.

Fiber tape and shoe goo or e6000 the body. To me the weak link of the car is the body. The lexan breaks to easy over the rear shock towers.

The body does want to pop off the car easy. I've found if I take a heat gun and bend the rear clip over a bit more and make the center a little longer that helps with body pop offs.

Having a spur gear, set of a arms on hand and shock pins and hing pins can be handy not to have down time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    What's the e6000 ????

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by the old kid View Post
    What's the e6000 ????
    Pretty much like shoe goo. Might be an epoxy of some sort but both serve the same purpose for this body reinforcement method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    So after the first bash session, which really had very little bashing. Had 3 flips and not really sure what even caused them. Just running in an open cut field area. Was very strange.

Broke one of the caps on the rear shock. 4 new aluminum shock caps now added.
    Broke the right side rear drive cup. This was surprisingly easy to replace, just really surprised that broke. I have a spare in my toolbox now as well.

So looking at the truck today, it seems like it is sagging in the rear. Shocks just don't seem all that springy to me. When I replaced the caps I did not replace the oil in the shock. They are brand new, didn't think it would need that. Was I wrong? Open those up and you just have to replace the oil? Far as I know, nothing was lost, no oil was leaking on the broken cap. The part that broke on the cap is what the ping goes through attaching to the car.

Just doesn't sit level now, like it has a heavy load on the rear end.

Suggestions?

If you didn't lose any oil, your ok. Oil level and weight affects dampening, not ride height.

You can tighten the spring preload collars to tighten the shock springs to help gain the height back.

RC poster
    did just that Grizzly. Searching forums again, seeing older posts saying maybe buy the 1.5xx springs for this? Maye change oil weight when the time comes to 60wt?

Still seem to be the consensus? Springs won't ship out till mid May from Traxxas. Don't guess there is any hurry on them.

I don't see anything else broken on the rear end. Flipping it all around wondering if maybe something else had snapped that I had overlooked but can't find a thing.

RC Racer
    did just that Grizzly. Searching forums again, seeing older posts saying maybe buy the 1.5xx springs for this? Maye change oil weight when the time comes to 60wt?

Still seem to be the consensus? Springs won't ship out till mid May from Traxxas. Don't guess there is any hurry on them.

I don't see anything else broken on the rear end. Flipping it all around wondering if maybe something else had snapped that I had overlooked but can't find a thing.
    I use the VG racing progressive springs for the xmaxx with 50wt shock oil rear and 35wt front. Just had to install hot racing shock caps since my plastic ones kept breaking from roll overs which also lead to my drive cups breaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk