RC Competitor

ESC and battery connector

Hello,

I bought a Slash off my brother which he blew up the titan motor, and he had a Sidwinder 4 ESC and brushless motor for it, went to go install it and I bought a traxxas male connector off ebay and went to go solder it on and oh man, I just can't get the metal piece just right to slide it back into the connector, like it has to be absolutely perfect and im not a soldering pro by any means.

Anyway, my 150watt soldering gun went up in smoke so I tried to finish it with a 40watt cheap iron and it just didn't work, that iron just can't keep a steady temp and gave up after fighting with it for about an hour and a half.

I had an old series connector and I cut the male lead off and soldered the wires to the ESC wires, it works and I was able to get a decent joint on a junk iron, and heat shrinked and taped it up just in case

Anyway, I ordered a new iron a month ago and its still sitting in Cali and I live on the east coast.

The question I have is, how hot do these wires get? and should I be worried, I do want to run it and I've only had time to run it once since the new ESC, Or is there a better way to join the wires such as a wire nut for example, I only want to do this as a temp fix until my iron comes in.

Thanks!

Soldering motor/ESC/Battery wires with anything less than an 80W iron is just asking for trouble for multiple reasons.

Motor and battery wires will get a little warm, but if they are getting hot, then you have a bad solder joint that is acting like a resistor, and building up heat. HIGHLY recommend not running your truck until it is fixed properly.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    Well I appreciate your reply, I did run it today on break at work, had to set the slipper clutch and thats about it, I had it flat out in the parking lot on a 3s with the sidewinder 4 and a Castel 1410-3800kv motor 23/90 gearing for 40min or so, while the gearing seems to be a little much and heated the motor up at the end of the run, the wires were not even remotely warm, battery was slightly warm.

Now don't get me wrong, I do understand what you mean about a shobby solder job and what could happen with a bad connection, and I thank you for answering my question. I will continue to run the RC, but I will monitor the temps on the wires and of course motor, I think 23/90 is a bit too much on 3s for the thing, I'll have to go back to 19/90 or 19/86.

Thanks, and I know, if it goes up in flames, I'll capture it on camera.

RC Qualifier
    Little solder advice here; use the largest tip you can, don't buy those cheap hollow core tips, and use flux, all that adds up to fast heat transfer and better joints.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Yeah I used some old flux I had back in 2007 or so when I use to be into the RC hobby, hopefully it doesn't expire, recently got back into it and my iron blew up, some Radio Shack one that had 3 heat settings.

The tip on the one I used is pretty standard, not hollow I don't think, not like the other crappy 40 watt one I have.

I really do wish the iron I bought would hurry up, its been a month and it hasn't moved, I'm tempted to buy one off Amazon and just call it day.

What is a good brand to get if you don't mind me asking?

RC Racer
    Clean and pre-tin the wire and connector. Use a little flux. Go in hot, get out fast.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Soldering motor/ESC/Battery wires with anything less than an 80W iron is just asking for trouble for multiple reasons.

Motor and battery wires will get a little warm, but if they are getting hot, then you have a bad solder joint that is acting like a resistor, and building up heat. HIGHLY recommend not running your truck until it is fixed properly.
    I use a Weller 40watt and it does just fine. Iíve had no issues even on 10awg wire, which comes in the VXL6s esc and on some of the lipos Iíve had to swap connectors on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm just a noob

RC Competitor
    Nice, The only problem I had with mine was it seemed to be inconsistent, like it'd cool down and wouldn't even melt solder sometimes, even with a new tip it came with, though once I got it to melt, it wasn't bad, though I heated the wires up enough so when I touched it with the solder it would melt, worked, but had to keep fighting it cooling down.

Had no issue with my old one, but it was also pretty quick unlike the 40 watt one where it worked, just took more time.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking2121 View Post
    What is a good brand to get if you don't mind me asking?
    The best I’ve ever used have been Hakko soldering stations. They are a bit more pricey, but even their basic stations are pretty much pro-grade, buy ‘em once and you’ll have them forever quality.
    Here is a link from Amain if you’re a little rusty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uun9xgo0peQ
    Last edited by Ducati Pilot; 04-12-2021 at 08:11 AM.
    Slash Raptor, Slash Baja Bug Basher, TA Trophy Rat

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducati Pilot View Post
    The best I’ve ever used have been Hakko soldering stations. They are a bit more pricey, but even their basic stations are pretty much pro-grade, buy ‘em once and you’ll have them forever quality.
    Here is a link from Amain if you’re a little rusty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uun9xgo0peQ
    Thanks, I'll put in an order tomorrow on break and cancel the one I bought off ebay. Yeah i'm just not good at soldering small things, and I vary rarely solder as it is, so im more than just rusty. lol

RC Champion
    I have one of these and they are great, never had a problem.
    Heats up fast and cools fast.
    https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888D-...s%2C280&sr=8-2